boob jobs

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    So...I am basically going to get flamed for this, but I just want to throw it out there.....

I work part time as a lactation consultant. I have had a ton of women come in to see me who have had breast augmentation or other surgeries who have massive difficulties with breastfeeding. The doctors tell them that they should be able to breastfeed after surgery, but some then still have alot of trouble. While many women are able to successfully breastfeed after certain procedures, other women find their milk ducts and nerves damaged and unable to produce milk.
    If this might be a concern for you, I urge you to wait until after you finish having children. I have met many women who wish they had waited to have the surgery until they were done with having kids. A good bra can work wonders these days...........

If this isn't a concern for you, then have fun!

Not trying to flame you, but I would like to point out that women without augmentation, still often have a difficult time breast feeding.

Yep! I haven't been able to breastfeed any of my three kids and mine are natural. Each one had a different issue that made it either too hard or just impossible.

ETA: Even a lactation consultant couldn't help me.

Same with me. The first developed jaundice because my milk never came in. I probably could have nursed the second because my milk production was through the roof, but I was gun-shy after the experience with the first and had already started her on formula.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I haven't had mine done (yet...once I'm done having children, I'm getting these twins totally overhauled!) but the one piece of advice I can give based on experiences of friends of mine is you pay for what you get. Don't go with whoever is cheapest. This is SURGERY. A girl I know went with a cheaper surgeon, and her implants look awful and obvious, you can even see some rippling. She also didn't get them insured, so if she needs them re-done, she's out of pocket again.

Cost can be anywhere from $3000-$10,000, so take your time researching surgeons. My best friend from college had hers done for nearly 10 grand and they're seriously amazing, you'd never know they weren't real! She got them insured as well, insuring your breast augmentation is a REALLY good idea. Good luck!

I agree about not going with whoever is cheapest- if it sounds sketchy, it probably is. However, you also have to consider your location. I am in NC, and I only paid $4200 for mine (although I got saline, which IS a little cheaper than silicone). The Dr. was amazing, they look amazing, and the whole process was wonderful. He had great credentials and has 3 practices in NC. So, some states are generally just going to be cheaper.
  • abbiepql
    abbiepql Posts: 45
    Options
    According to my ob/gyn alot of the work that can be done for sagging breasta after a great deal of weight loss (not talking age here) has to do with the make up of the breast (amount of fat versus breast tissue), conditon of the skin, etc. I started this journey with a 56G and now I wear a 42D (sometimes DD depending on the type, cut, manufacturer). Hanging is a condition my girls could only hope to see at this time, they will meet my belly button and become buddies very soon! LOL Due to the structure of my breast tissue, I have to do bobbie checks laying on my side - does that tell you have pancake like these boobies are? Doc is recommending reconstruction (lift) with augmentaion (implants) to help contour and obviously give shape and cup size, but I am holding out that a lift (skin removal) will be sufficient - I had huge boobs all my life and I can deal with a small breast line so long my nipples are back near my armpits, intead of my knees. I think what I totally bombed in this post is that you may have many options - the plastic surgeon I consulted won't even enter serious discussions with me until he sees what pans out! Something for you to look forward to for all your hard work!
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I really really wanted one for practically my whole life.

Hubby is totally against it.
  • MizRik
    MizRik Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I had mine done this past december. Went and seen four different surgeons for consults before deciding who to use. One question I wish I would have asked was what their complication rates were. I went with the surgeon I felt the most comfortable with and I am having complications. My left one has a capsular contraction. When in a swimsuit or naked I am totally lopsided and look ridiculous!! I hate them more now than I did before (I breastfed three kids and they sat at my belly button.) I think I am more self conscious now because before they look bad, but they were mine and there was a reason they looked like grandma boobs. A reason I was proud of. Now I have an $8,000 dollar mistake.

Despite my negative experience I say DO IT!! I do not necessarily regret it, I just got unlucky :( I will need a second surgery to correct mine :(

Just make sure you do your research on the doctors!!
  • tapiagonzalez
    tapiagonzalez Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just had a REDUCTION last month! I use to be a 40 DD ( . ) ( . ), very painful :cry:! Now, I could HAPPILY :bigsmile: say that I'm a "C" cup ( . ) ( . )!!!! My back is really feeling the difference!!!! I would NEVER, EVER want to have big BOOBIES again!!!!!!!!! :noway: Best of luck to you! :drinker:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I haven't had mine done (yet...once I'm done having children, I'm getting these twins totally overhauled!) but the one piece of advice I can give based on experiences of friends of mine is you pay for what you get. Don't go with whoever is cheapest. This is SURGERY. A girl I know went with a cheaper surgeon, and her implants look awful and obvious, you can even see some rippling. She also didn't get them insured, so if she needs them re-done, she's out of pocket again.

Cost can be anywhere from $3000-$10,000, so take your time researching surgeons. My best friend from college had hers done for nearly 10 grand and they're seriously amazing, you'd never know they weren't real! She got them insured as well, insuring your breast augmentation is a REALLY good idea. Good luck!

I agree about not going with whoever is cheapest- if it sounds sketchy, it probably is. However, you also have to consider your location. I am in NC, and I only paid $4200 for mine (although I got saline, which IS a little cheaper than silicone). The Dr. was amazing, they look amazing, and the whole process was wonderful. He had great credentials and has 3 practices in NC. So, some states are generally just going to be cheaper.

Definitely, it is less expensive in different areas, you can pay through the nose in larger cities like Dallas or Los Angeles, and the surgeon isn't necessarily any better. Look at TONS of before and afters with the doctor, oh and I totally prefer saline to silicone, just seems to look more natural to me.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I really really wanted one for practically my whole life.

Hubby is totally against it.

Mine was against it to because he is a butt man Then after I nursed all of our kids and he saw how unhappy I was with my breasts, he was fine with it. But, if mine had just stayed their cute perky pre-baby boobs, i would not have done anything...but having kids and nursing changed them!! Saying that, for me, breastfeeding was worth the change in my breasts!!

So, maybe your husband will come around one day.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    i am currently trying to put on weight so i can get a boob job done, im currently a 32a and would like to be a c - cup :) need to a BMI of 20 so i can qualify for it on the NHS. im currently 18.7. SIGH!

Why do you need / want it done on the NHS?
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I would do it all over again! Mine were never that great to begin with, my left one was a C cup and my right one was a B....SO noticeable in a bathing suit or lowcut tops!!
    Now they are both a full C and look great and natural. I didn't tell some of my in-laws either because of their opinions and they haven't even noticed they look so natural. I love them, if its something you really want then do it!
  • sweetmelissa40
    Options

Rippling doesn't have anything to do with the surgeon...it has to do with the structure of the skin and if your friend paid 10 grand for hers...she was scammed!!
    I have an amazing surgeon, amazing boobs and pain-free recovery and I only paid $3200.
  • missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i will be getting a Breast augmentation this fall. i will be seeing dr revis in florida he is very well known.
  • missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    also price does vary from surgeon to surgeon and canada has very expensive surgeons. i was quoted 16,000 for a lift and implants. i obviously ddnt want to pay that so i picked a guy in florida revis, and he quoted me 8965 for both. it doesnt mean your getting ripped off, its simply the surgeons charge and up to them. yes there is always a better deal out there but why base it on that.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I have fake boobs. I'm not ashamed lol. And I won't lie either. Recovery was misery. It hurt so bad for like the first 3 days, even with the pain meds. But you know, it was well worth it. I get compliments on my boobs all the time lol and noone ever guesses they are not real.

I didn't research for a doctor. I went through a company called Be Your Best and they financed me with one of their doctors.

I say if you have the $$, go for it. You only live once.

I'll definitely be looking into that. How much did you end up paying if you don't mind me asking? And how long did it take to fully recover?

I had 2 surgeries, total about $6,000. I paid half up front and spread the rest over 2 years. I think it took like a week.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options

Not trying to flame you, but I would like to point out that women without augmentation, still often have a difficult time breast feeding.

Yes, women who have not had augmentation/ other surgeries/ trauma to the breast often have problems with breastfeeding. However, except for a few women with IGT, most of those problems are due to misinformation about the lactation process and can usually be addressed and fixed.
    If a women comes to me with problems after a surgery, it is often impossible to induce lactation because of the nerve damage and damage to the ducts that haven't repaired themselves after the surgery. I hate seeing the look of heartbreak on these women's faces due to a decision they made years before.

For me, breastfeeding my children was a wonderful and worthwhile experience. If I had gotten breast surgery thinking I could lactate and then couldn't, I would have been very disappointed. I was just trying to point out that, while the surgeons say you can breastfeed after the surgery, many women can and many can not.

That's only when the implants are inserted through an incision around the aerola. They can also be put in under the armpit or under breast crease.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Love My implants!! Started a 32 nothing, now am a small D, Not a single regret, but I am glad that I did it after I had my kids, I don't think there is anything wrong with ladies that do it before, when they are younger, and I believe that PS's do their utmost to preserve the ability to breast feed even with lifts, but I don't mind that I waited!

When the time comes, Just start researching in your area, go on consults, see how you feel about different PS's
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options

Yes, women who have not had augmentation/ other surgeries/ trauma to the breast often have problems with breastfeeding. However, except for a few women with IGT, most of those problems are due to misinformation about the lactation process and can usually be addressed and fixed.
    If a women comes to me with problems after a surgery, it is often impossible to induce lactation because of the nerve damage and damage to the ducts that haven't repaired themselves after the surgery. I hate seeing the look of heartbreak on these women's faces due to a decision they made years before.

For me, breastfeeding my children was a wonderful and worthwhile experience. If I had gotten breast surgery thinking I could lactate and then couldn't, I would have been very disappointed. I was just trying to point out that, while the surgeons say you can breastfeed after the surgery, many women can and many can not.

That's only when the implants are inserted through an incision around the aerola. They can also be put in under the armpit or under breast crease.

Nope. Many of the women I have seen had it inserted under the muscle from the armpit or bellybutton, the so-called "safe" breastfeeding procedures. We think the presure from the implants cause trauma to the ducts and/ or nerves. And, yes,the aureola procedures tend to cause lots of damage to the ducts and nerves making breastfeeding almost impossible.
    Lifts and reductions also can cut the ducts and nerves making nursing difficult. Some surgeons performing these procedures take care to cause less trauma, but even with care and the better procedures does not ensure that breastfeeding will be possible.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I've had them for 6 years now and not once have I wished I didn't get them. I was a 36a and am now a 36d. Under the muscle via armpit. You can't see the scar one bit. Recovery was easy for me. They feel very natural. No complaints.
  • shannoninBC
    shannoninBC Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I didn't get mine augmented, but I did have a reduction in my early 20s. Yes, it did prevent me from breastfeeding but I feel it was a fair trade. Keep in mind, those mofos can grow back.
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I once posted a thread about boob jobs oooo like months ago....I was weighing up the pro's and cons.

Was seriously thinking about it once I reached a healthy weight etc....Since then my other half has decided its too dangerious after seeing documentaries and reading articles.....looks like i can't get one after all....

Actually, on a serious note, I'm ok with what I have...would like to be bigger but I can get my desired look with a push up bra. :-)

Think with my frame etc, it may be a bit risky anyway....