Pasta Alternative PLEASE!!!!

Options

Replies

• Wilson336
    Wilson336 Posts: 76
    Options
    Yeah, rice pasta/noodles have about the same calories as regular pasta. 1 Cup = 192 calories on most counters. It's an alternative, but not any better in terms of calories.
  • pixiesteph
    pixiesteph Posts: 17
    Options
    awesome, i got a vegetable pasta maker a while ago but cant find spaghetti squash anywhere. I do it with courgette, still yummy but i really want to taste a spaghetti squash!
  • juliesmom2
    juliesmom2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Shiratake noodles---zero calories--really! Use the MFP search function there are several threads that talk about them and give recipes. They are more like raman noodles than they are like spaghetti.
    I like the ones that have soy added to them---they have 20 calories per serving which is mostly protein.
  • dee492
    dee492 Posts: 28
    Options
    spaghetti squash or white beans (navy I think) omg YUM!!

ALSO, dreamfields pasta is good, 5 net carbs per serving
  • Kabula
    Kabula Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    brown rice pasta! don't cook it too long other wise it gets really, really thick and cloggy!
  • mjlobeau
    mjlobeau Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    shiritaki noodles! i like the ones with tofu, better consistency.
  • jonzin707
    jonzin707 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    polenta! its great! just added it to my recipes this week!
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    some people hate this stuff...but i now love it...and especially in cold tuna pasta!

look for angel hair shirataki noodles... most places over by the tofu...then rinse them ( they smell fishy) either dry fry them stovetop with some cooking spray, or pop them in the microwave, either way, after drying with a paper towel .... i love spicey, so i add garlic powder or a touch of garlic chili sauce, salt and pepper...and you could also add a smidge of olive or coconut oil to make them more noodle consistancy ( they are slightly *squeaky*...but the angel hair ones, i barely can tell...and i am CRAZY picky as to texture!) ...pop them in the fridge to gt nice and cold...then add them your cold tuna salad :)
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash!! If I could eat this every day, I would!

So, so many options.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    but i like pasta

Me too. I eat my regular amount, I just don't eat it every day. One higher cal meal a week won't hurt anything.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Okay, I love spaghetti squash more than most things, but in all honesty, it is no substitute for pasta. That's just reality. My suggestion would be to eat the pasta on days when you're training and/or training hard (you may always train hard). You can afford those 400 calories for two cups. Two cups is quite a bit.
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you only crave it every so often then just eat the real thing every so often.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash is pretty good. I mean, it's not pasta but I really like it and it really low cal. I was intimidated to cook it at first, but it's really easy, you just cut it in half and bake on baking sheet. Instructions are on a sticker on the one I got and it scrapes out much in the shape of noodles.
  • ChallengeGal
    Options
    No Yolk noodles :)
  • Jess81620
    Jess81620 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I normally get a multi grain Barilla Multigrain plus is delicious. I also save it for a day when I am working out or eating less calories.
  • XLMuffnTop
    XLMuffnTop Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I like shirataki noodles but only in asian inspired applications. They don't do it for a regular pasta dish for me. However, spaghetti squash does, as others have already mentioned. I'll take whatever sauce I have, add peppers, onions, mushrooms and other veggies to bulk it up, some ground turkey sausage and put it over spaghetti squash. My kids and husband really love it.

I've also made it with pesto as well as herbs, parm and a little butter or butter substitute with grilled chicken. Yummy Yummy! Might have to make that for dinner tonight.
  • PrincessMiriamele
    PrincessMiriamele Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I eat loads of pasta - healthy and filling! =)
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    2 oz DRY pasta= 1 cup cooked pasta

That is what I was thinking. 2oz is the dry weight. It becomes much heavier after it is cooked. :wink: I always try to use wheat pasta or Catelli high fiber white pasta and I add a cup of cooked broccoli to my serving so it amounts to a lot more food. I am dying to try spaghetti squash but I can't seem to find one.
  • smoffette
    smoffette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I too love both the Shirataki (tofu + yam; 20 cals per serving) noodles and the "Miracle" (yam only, no calories per serving, as it's all soluble fiber) noodles! I was really skeptical at the start, and when you open the package, you should know it's going to smell weird and fishy - I just rinse mine thoroughly in the hottest water i can get from the sink and the smell goes away :) then I use it as I would pasta! the only thing is that the texture is good, but it is flavorless until it sits with the sauce or whatnot for at least 5 minutes to absorb flavors...but seriously, the stuff is good!
  • NicolioRussell
    Options
    spaghetti squash! :-) You can zap it in the microwave for 10 minutes and yum yum yum