Let you tell me about Yoga.

Options

Replies

• PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Check out this guy's yofa story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448
    He used DDP's yoga video.
    I love the p90x yoga. (Tony Horton says if he could do no other exercise the rest of his life but one, he would choose yoga).
    I go between beginners to P90X style and all in between. I have several injuries (knee, back and neck) and yoga is a better fit for me for all that.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Health insurance companies often offer discounts on yoga classes (as well as gym memberships) through their wellness programs. That's also worth looking into. There are also often yoga classes offered through the local parks & recreation department, and yoga studios will sometimes offer discounts, especially to new students.

I've been doing yoga for almost 20 years, and I agree with all of the other posters - having a good instructor is crucial. Even with as much experience as I have, I still have to rely on my yoga teacher to correct my form and push me into the fullest expression of the pose that I'm capable of. It's worth every penny.
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Get seen by a doctor or chiropractor (only if they do xrays first!) before starting treatment/therapy. You need to know what the issue is before starting treatment for it. Back pain is caused by many different things.

As a veteran I came back from Iraq with a bad low back. After VA exams and multpile chiro visits, the pain wasn't getting better. It wasn't bad enough to warrant surgery or even cortisone injections. So finally saw a Physical Therapist who researches my medical file and the xrays, and prescribed a series of exercises to help strengthen the low back and abdoman area to help with the pain. Low and behold it worked! Then I started yoga, because I was finally well enough to feel like working out and needed low impact work. I discovered that a lot of the moves are the same as my physical therapy moves. So all in all it's helping my back, my core and I'm losing weight in the process.
  • chroniclesofadime
    Options
    That sounds really promising, and I see the light on going with an instructor.

The problem is, the last time I checked classes were $125-200 a month. :/ Which is way out of my price range.

Are you on Living Social/Groupon or the like? If not, sign up - in my area they have discounts on yoga classes all the time. I'm sure it's the same for any area with yoga studios itching to grow.
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    get a good pilates instructor to show you exercises that will improve your core strength, then try yogalates a cross between yoga and pilates that again focuses on core strength.

My eldest son suffers from a really bad back and his chiropractor gave him this advice as he works out and runs regularly he said that the pilates would help and they have :)
  • beachlover718
    Options
    Please please please go see a doctor and then a PT or chiropractor. Your body is trying to tell you something is wrong, please listen to it. It could be anything from a pulled muscle to a slipped disc to a tumor on your kidney (not trying to scare you but back pain, just like any other pain can be really serious!) hopefully it's just muscular and a good massage and some targetted exercises can help you. good luck

ps I LOVE YOGA! my yoga studio does a free class every Sunday with donations going toward various causes. :-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    One of the first things I ask clients about back pain is "When was the last time you changed your mattress?"

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    One of the first things I ask clients about back pain is "When was the last time you changed your mattress?"

IDEA Fitness member

7 months ago. I can't even imagine the hell I'd be in if I still had my old mattress. Owww...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

7 months ago. I can't even imagine the hell I'd be in if I still had my old mattress. Owww...
    Next question: Do you have tight hamstrings?

IDEA Fitness member
  • wellbert
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Next question: Do you have tight hamstrings?

IDEA Fitness member

My hamstrings are insanely tight, actually. I've tried static, dynamic, pnf, foam rolling... one of the reasons I'm looking at Yoga.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Definitely go and see a doctor, physiotherapist or osteopath before you start to do yoga or anything similar. (chiropracters don't train for as long).

There are modiications or most things, but the general advice on this pages is correct - go to classes to get started.

Also, have you given your back much rest from exercise, taken anti-inflammatories or used heat or cold on it?
  • wellbert
    Options
    I do ice/heat depending on how severe it is. Light exercise, or bike riding. A little weight lifting. Probably too much. I'm stopping that entirely.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    As a yoga teacher, I agree with the other posts. PLEASE get checked out first! If you are cleared to do yoga, I HIGHLY recommend practicing at a studio. Yoga can be soooooo very good for your body, BUT if you are doing it incorrectly, you can do more damage than good. Practicing with a trained professional who can align your body correctly is my recommendation :)
  • mwelch0212
    mwelch0212 Posts: 11
    Options
    Look for a studio. The instructors are probably better trained, anyway. And the classes aren't that expensive. But I still think you need to see your doctor.

Check out Living Social or Groupon in your area - I see deals for yoga classes at yoga studios coming through all of the time!

• jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT try to do yoga on your own until you've been instructed by someone who knows what he or she is doing, ESPECIALLY if you are having pain. You can make it much, much worse.

Take a class with a qualified instructor and tell the instructor what's going on with your back. And I hope your doctor did more than just send you stretches. You've had it looked at, right?

^^^^THIS!!
  • badgranola
    badgranola Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If you are in a larger city, check into "community yoga" which is usually donation based. We have a community yoga class in Chattanooga :)
  • ericachristie85
    ericachristie85 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That sounds really promising, and I see the light on going with an instructor.

The problem is, the last time I checked classes were $125-200 a month. :/ Which is way out of my price range.

Keep an eye on Groupon and other local coupon sites. Yoga classes come up all the time.
  • mkutkowski
    mkutkowski Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi there! I know some folks have already mentioned this, but I highly suggest seeing a reputable chiropractor. I had some troubles with my back, and my chiropractor not only identified the problems and came up with a plan of treatment, he also showed me specific exercises and stretches to help me build up strength in my lower back. Plus, if you are a migraine sufferer like I am, chiropractors can do wonders. Good luck!
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have back pain going on three months. In the last week, it's developed into the worst pain ever, and is irritating beyond belief. Lower spine, you are so tedious. I've been doing the little stretches my doctor sent, but they only relieve pain while I'm doing them.

My pals keep bringing Yoga up, and I'd be stupid not to try it.

I have Wii Yoga, but I'm not so sure it's that great. I played with it last night, but I wonder if modifying the positions for the balance board is problematic.Is there a particular DVD that isn't terribly boring? One that really helps with core strength and mobility?

YOGA FOR THE REST OF US
    google this dvd, it was on PBS. it is just for someone like you, in pain, and new to yoga. follow it very slowly....hardly stretch at all. just do the movement slightly....stretching should feel comfortable, and relaxing, not hard and rough.
    It helped me get rid of the pain..i was in a few car accidents.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I know an instructor is ideal, but if I had to wait to be able to afford everything, I'd never be able to do anything. After some research I came across this DVD (and other's with Rodney Yee) and he is amazing!

This DVD has a whole section of pose guides, too.

http://www.gaiam.com/product/rodney+yee+yoga+for+beginners.do