Dinner idea's for the whole family??

Options

Replies

• ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Does your family like tex mex?

You can make chili with ground turkey or with Textured Protein (tofu crumbles). Just brown the meat/tofu in a little bit of oil if you need, drain... make a whole in the center and add a little bit of tomato paste (2 tb or so) to the pan, brown it a little, then add crushed tomatoes, spices to taste (I use salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, paprikia, tumeric and cayenne) let it simmer down and add a can of beans or pre-cooked dried beans of your choice (I've used kidney, pinto and black beans).

I also like to make chicken and black bean burritos. Grill or poach a chicken breast and shred it. In a tiny bit of oil, sweat some onions and bell peppers. Add the chicken, again some crushed or diced tomatoes, a can of black beans, spices (see above plus oregano) and, depending on how much heat you like, a chili in adobo - they are spicy, only use one from the can and a little sauce. Cook it till most of the liquid is dry. Put the filling in a 100 cal tortilla, cover with a can of enchilada sauce and .... if you can spare the calories -- a little bit of cheese. Bake it til bubbly.
  • flower_chylde
    Options
    I am new to all this, and trying to change how I cook the foods I love to eat. After adding some recipes to calculate all the calories and.. you know stuff. I realized, I didn't cook "bad" food.
    One thing my kids like is Sausage and spinach Manicotti. You can use ground turkey instead.

Cook the meat in Italian seasonings, drain. As the meat is cooking, Boil the Manicotti noodles, rinse in cool water, drain. Lay the noodles out on wax paper. I use canned spinach, I am unsure how to cook with fresh spinach. :frown: But drain the spinach really well. In a medium bowl, combine spinach, 1 egg and the meat. Stuff the noodles and place in a baking dish. Cover the stuffed noodles in spaghetti sauce, any flavor, and cheese if desired and bake for 30 minutes. This should feed around 6 people.

I also fry spinach. Drain a can of spinach, again i am unsure how to cook with fresh spinach. In a skillet, add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, turn the heat to low medium. Scramble 1 egg in the skillet and add the spinach. Sprinkle garlic powder or fresh garlic and parmsean cheese over it. As it cooks you want to stir it alot. It takes around 20 minutes to cook. If you use one can of spinach, It will feed 3 people. I usually use 2 cans. :smile:
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Hi Lauren....here's one for you. Don't know any info on it.
    My dad's recipe for Roast beef.
    I swap the beef with pork tenderloin to change it up sometimes.
    2-3lb pork or same on a cut of beef.
    Salt,pepper and garlic powder on meat.
    Pan sear to start.
    Add Lipton onion soup mix both pouches.
    Your liquid will be a cup of coffee to a cup of water.
    Yes coffee! Makes darker richer gravy.
    I don't measure anything so about 8 cups liquid total. Cover the meat for sure.
    Just add little more water later if too much cooks out.
    I add another onion chopped.
    Bring to boil lower and simmer on top of stove 3-4 hrs lid on.
    Or crock pot it 6-8 on high.
    Add a small pkg carrots for last hour.
    Taste it and check seasoning make sure not too strong lol
    When all done remove everything and thicken the liquid.
    Roux. flour and water, corn starch and water,etc. One of these, whatever you prefer.

PS......You can even put potatoes in the liquid when you add the carrots.
    I think this is low cal depending on how you thicken the gravy? I'm new:bigsmile:

Also to change up my stews I add coffee to my tomato juice when making them. (Couple cups)
    I do a straight veg one or beef one.

I know I'm horrible at writing a recipe...sorry :flowerforyou:

Sounds amazing! I will def try! My mom used coffee for gravies too... I always thought she was crazy but I guess not! lol Thanks!
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    Does your family like tex mex?

You can make chili with ground turkey or with Textured Protein (tofu crumbles). Just brown the meat/tofu in a little bit of oil if you need, drain... make a whole in the center and add a little bit of tomato paste (2 tb or so) to the pan, brown it a little, then add crushed tomatoes, spices to taste (I use salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, paprikia, tumeric and cayenne) let it simmer down and add a can of beans or pre-cooked dried beans of your choice (I've used kidney, pinto and black beans).

I also like to make chicken and black bean burritos. Grill or poach a chicken breast and shred it. In a tiny bit of oil, sweat some onions and bell peppers. Add the chicken, again some crushed or diced tomatoes, a can of black beans, spices (see above plus oregano) and, depending on how much heat you like, a chili in adobo - they are spicy, only use one from the can and a little sauce. Cook it till most of the liquid is dry. Put the filling in a 100 cal tortilla, cover with a can of enchilada sauce and .... if you can spare the calories -- a little bit of cheese. Bake it til bubbly.

Yum!!! I've been wanting to make chili with turkey, how is the taste compared to hamburger? I'll check them out! :) Thanks!
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    Thanks guys! Your recipes sound great... my kids would really eat all of it :o)
  • SBerrio
    SBerrio Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I make whole wheat pasta with ground turkey for the family. My husband and the kids all enjoy it. I usually make a green salad or oven roasted veggies to go with it for my husband and I.
    Good luck, i know it can get hard but you sound like you're doing a great job!
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I go on to the BBC Good Food website, and look for recipes on there - nomally the healthy ones - but I live with 2 fussy men (1 is my fiancé!) who are, to be honest - a pain in the backside when it comes to food!!

We eat a lot of fish rather than meat, and I do try to do veg and stuff - but that website does have some good healthy recipes
  • emzmc
    emzmc Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It's funny you mentioned lasagna because that's what I made for dinner tonight. I don't think any foods are really off limits as long as you make them as lean as possible and eat in moderation. I had one piece of lasagna and enjoyed it, along with a big serving of steamed broccoli. I also take out pizza and eat fast food once in a while. So far it's all working and I'm not deprived. Still losing!

This x10

What about a healthy version of a casserole. Or meat with a healthy sauce.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I just try to make healthier versions of the stuff we have always had.

We have always eaten a lot of fresh vegetables, since his parents have a farm and a big garden and always give us yummy produce, so that hasn't changed.

I doctored my recipes for spaghetti or chicken pasta to get the calories down and threw in some extra veggies for nutrition.

I cook in the crock pot a lot ... We have soup, chili, or roast beef with veggies.

We grill like you mentioned, but I also cut chicken into strips and coat them and bake them, and then serve with different vegetables.

I like to cook sliced chicken breast with red and green bell peppers, onions, and maybe a zuchini in just a little low sodium soy sauce (not great for you, i know) but served over brown rice... it is heaven.

Ground turkey in the place of beef in a lot of recipes is a good start, and not very noticible.
  • looby_loo91
    looby_loo91 Posts: 27
    Options
    Casseroles are scrummy - just bung a whole load of veg and potatoes in a big pot with your chosen meat (usually go for chicken, half cooked and then chopped up into nice bite size pieces) with loads of gravy and leave to cook in the oven for at least an hour, more if I've got the time! Really filling and the veg is delicious when it's cooked like this =) Also like cottage pies because again, loads of lean mince and veg with mashed potato on top which you can always just do a thin layer of if you don't want too many carbs for whatever reason!! They keep well too for lunches the next day if you've made enough x
  • lambeas
    lambeas Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Stuffed mexican peppers

Saute lean ground turkey, spinach, carrots, tomato, green onion and 1/2 pack of low sodium taco seasoning
    Cook brown rice or quinoa

add rice to turkey & veggies, stuff into pepers

add a little cheese on top.... bake for 30 minutes... Yummy!

** clean and rise peppers, cut top off, then slightly cut bottom to allow for flat surface. Cook in 1/2 inch of water covered in foil.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    We did a campfire chicken yesterday on the grill. It is really easy.

Take a piece of aluminum foil (size depends on how big a serving you are making. you need to be able to fold the sides up all the way around) and place some fresh, sliced veggies on it. I usually do potatoes (sometimes sweet potato), onions, maybe some apple slices, mushrooms, corn cobettes, zucchini, peppers...just really whatever you like.

Place a boneless/skinless chicken breast on top. Season it all with whatever seasoning you like. I generally do salt, pepper, garlic and paprika. You can also use lipton soup mixes. They work really well.

Fold the sides of the aluminum foil up to seal it all together. Throw it on the grill for about 30-35 minutes. My kids love it.
  • miorojas
    miorojas Posts: 3
    Options
    Get yourself the Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook (or go their website), I bought one for myself and the family like the recipes soo much that I end up buying 2 more editions of the book. They have recipes like Mexican Meatloaf, Sweet and Sour Chicken, the list goes on and on. Keep up the good work and good luck to you and your family.
  • lc971
    lc971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Tacos(soft or hard)? I make chicken tacos. You can fill them with all kinds of healthy vegetables. Chicken fajitas would be good, too.
  • scoutit
    scoutit Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi, if you like to grill try throwing veggies on the grill instead of steaks! We bbq thick sliced sweet potatoes, zucchini, portabello mushrooms and of course, corn (but cut in rounds, bbq'd in foil with lime juice and chili powder instead of butter) serve with brown rice or quinoa and black beans.
  • odumsmith00
    odumsmith00 Posts: 25
    Options
    Pinterest has some great ideas!!
  • kristi012173
    Options
    all these sound great!!!
  • Twilightsunflower
    Twilightsunflower Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    im still learning how to cook better for my family as well...

but the other night i made like a cheaters beef stew

a thing of stew beef, a packet of low sodium taco seasoning, and like 5 or 6 white potatoes cut into chunks... put it all in the crock pot and add like 3 cups of water... (depending on the size of yours) let it cook till the meat is falling apart

my husband ate it just like that, i added a cup of corn to mine just dumped it on top... even my one year old enjoyed it :)
  • abigailmariecs
    abigailmariecs Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    We do a lot of things with egg plant. I love to make egg plant parmesan and instead of coating in bread crumbs I leave it naked. I also have a recipe for egg plant linguine. Cook lingunie and while doing so pan fry with a little olive oil the egg plant when it gets to the point where it almost looks like butter when it is just starting to melt (soft almost mushy looking) add any other veggies you want and heat through. Drain the linguine and use a small amount of olive oil to keep the pasta from sticking together then dump the veggies on top and toss. That recipe is still one of the familys favorites.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    This is pretty simple, but it fills me and the hubby up.

A tortilla ( the white ones are 10 calories less than the whole wheat?)
    low cal, low sodium cheese (just a sprinkle)
    romaine lettuce
    cucumber
    onion
    (any other veggie you'd like to add)
    herb and garlic cream cheese spread (1 tblespn)
    100 gm of chicken

I have this labelled as the best wrap ever in my meals. So good and you add a salad as a side and you're set to go!