OMG. Protein Shake Before you Workout?? WTF.

Options

Replies

• angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I usually have a poptart...

I found a blog with a recipe for home made pop tarts

great now I want poptarts:sad:
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    What do you have against having one right after your workout? Some people do a shake before AND after...

Absolutely nothing against it. In fact I always have a one handy after my workout, I was just wondering how important the timing was.
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    I have a before and after. Shock horror!!! The after I consume within 10 minutes of lifting my last weight with either Vitargo or Dextrose. The carbs help to shove the protein quicker into the places its needed.....
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    What do you have against having one right after your workout? Some people do a shake before AND after...

Absolutely nothing against it. In fact I always have a one handy after my workout, I was just wondering how important the timing was.

Short answer, as others have alreasy said, is timing is not important at all.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    OMG AND WTF IS RIGHT SISTER THATS CRAZY TALK THOSE PEOPLE YOU NEED PROTEEN AFTER YOUR WORKOUT YOUR MUSSLES ARE HUNGRY FOR IT THEY NEED TO EAT MEAT TO GROW AND REPAIR OR THEY WILL LITRELY SLIDE OFF THE BONE I READ THIS IN THE DOCTOR OFFICE MAGAZEN

It's just not the same without 'HAHH HAHAHHA!!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    OMG AND WTF IS RIGHT SISTER THATS CRAZY TALK THOSE PEOPLE YOU NEED PROTEEN AFTER YOUR WORKOUT YOUR MUSSLES ARE HUNGRY FOR IT THEY NEED TO EAT MEAT TO GROW AND REPAIR OR THEY WILL LITRELY SLIDE OFF THE BONE I READ THIS IN THE DOCTOR OFFICE MAGAZEN

It's just not the same without 'HAHH HAHAHHA!!
    HA HA HA I THINK YOU MEAN HA HA HA AND NOT HAHH HAHAHHA

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    I don't know the science of it, but personally I would generally take a protein shake before my workout only when it's a morning workout and that's my first meal because it's light and the protein will be useful for my muscles.

But generally I workout in the evening/afternoon so I leave it till after as I eat alot of protein from food sources in any meal I have.

But like the HodgeTwins would say...at the end of the dayyyyyy...protein is protein :)
  • sweatness
    sweatness Posts: 2
    Options
    What is BCAAs?
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    What is BCAAs?

Branched Chain Amino Acids
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing
    The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

lol taso this is rhetorical and one in the same did you get hit by the simple stick or some thing as of late? :laugh:
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    When you lift weights you deplete your muscle glycogen so your body after a work out tries to restore this so sure consuming a shake can help so can eating food. LOL
  • Starrynights1107
    Starrynights1107 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't know the science of it, but personally I would generally take a protein shake before my workout only when it's a morning workout and that's my first meal because it's light and the protein will be useful for my muscles.

But generally I workout in the evening/afternoon so I leave it till after as I eat alot of protein from food sources in any meal I have.

But like the HodgeTwins would say...at the end of the dayyyyyy...protein is protein :)

Lol I so thought you were going to say the other thing they say haha
  • relly1008
    relly1008 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sometimes i drink one in the morning as my first meal just to keep my metabolism up because i eat breakfast 2 to 3 hours after wake up, and one after my workout if i do it on the evening i don't know is it the best way to do it but i just starting in this, trying to see what is best for me!
  • cobes24
    cobes24 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If I drink a protein shake right before I work out, I want to puke while I am working out...which isn't nice.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Before if you can stomach it and are hungry.

Or just eat something else.

After seems to be a better idea to help with "sore muscles"

Neither is going to kill you or really matter imo.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Why not? If it makes you feel good to eat it before, do it. If it makes you feel crappy to eat it before, don't do it.

Personally I can't do hungry training of any sort other than walking/hiking.
  • DawnShores
    DawnShores Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you take a Protein shake before a workout take it within an hour before working out, not to much sooner as your body needs time to digest it. It is still very important to replenish lost nutritents within 1hr from working out as you have used all your nutrients. A rule of thumb post workout, consume protein and a carb.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I prefer beer or chocolate milk as recovery drinks, but only one has protein ;-)
  • athleticknit
    Options
    i have one before my workout and one after .

but sometimes i dont have one before and i have one after or vice versa

depends because timing dosent effect anything aslong as your getting ur adequate protein intake.

i just go with what i have time for if i forgot i just double up later no sweat.
  • fieldsy4life
    fieldsy4life Posts: 155
    Options
    I eat an "energy bar" before the gym as soon as I get outta bed. Mostly carbs, lil fat, lil protein.

After the gym I drink a protein shake because I'm usually hungry and late for work. When I get to work, I have microwaveable oatmeal or a protein bar since I'm usually hungry again.

I personally think nutrient timing is more important than a lot of people on MFP, but I also listen to my body. Protein shakes are convenient, and after a 90-120 minute workout, my body is going to be looking for carbs and protein to refuel.

Long story short - anabolic window or not, I eat a snack before the gym and have a shake immediately after.

But yeah, just drinking protein shakes alone wont make you look like physique model ;)