Frozen Tilapia...what to do, what to do

Options

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    My favorite is to bake, broil or somehow cook the fish filet. The magic happens when you dump some mango salsa and chunks of avocado on top of the cooked fish. Oh I could eat it all day long! (Works well on chicken breasts too.)
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    bump all we've ever done is bake and make fish taco's so need idea's.
  • hvo79
    hvo79 Posts: 10
    Options
    Ok, Help me out here, What is Bump and Old Bay seasoning. I agree with Tilapia. I do not care for fish to much but am willing to try new things.I just have a picky family so can not try to many odd things.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    salt, pepper, garlic powder, tsp of olive oil over med/hi heat in a pan. turn over after about 4 minutes on one side, squeeze a tbs of fresh lemon over it and iet it cook for about 3-4 more minutes. voila

i like grilled asparagus and red pepper on the side
  • jreed1920
    jreed1920 Posts: 123
    Options
    I like tilapia in fish tacos. My kid LOVES tilapia made with the Kraft Fresh Takes chili lime coating mix, it is about the only fish she will eat.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I broil it in a pan with a teeny bit of butter and parsley, maybe some garlic powder. What I put it over depends -- usually a fresh veggie medley, or pasta if I'm in need of carbs.
  • lilbitsc89
    lilbitsc89 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Pan fry with spray oil and then add a lemon butter sauce!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Bake them, sear them, pan fry them...
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    pan "fry" w/ any sort of citrus grill seasoning. or actually grill it, if you have one of those grill baskets.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Make Ceviche!
  • CherylGardner
    CherylGardner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    "bump" just adds the post to the user's recent threads list so they can come back and review later.

and Tilapia holds up really well on the grill!!! I squeeze some lime juice, garlic and salt/pepper and then make tacos or throw it on a salad or something.

It's very mild - not too fishy at all.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    my favorite way to cook tilapia is to defrost it then back it at 400 for about a half hour. Some people use olive oil, i usually just season it with a lemon herb seasoning mix
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Try my fast n furious fish recipe. Super easy.
    http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com/2011/10/fast-n-furious-fish.html

Picture%2B1258.jpg
  • sjoytomasi
    sjoytomasi Posts: 12
    Options
    I've started rubbing taco seasoning (from the packet) on my frozen white fish and it gives the fish an amazing, flavorful taste :) Sometimes I chunk it up after I cook it and put coleslaw mixture on top with a chipote dressing (thinned down with some lime) and put it on a whole grain, low carb tortilla - fish tacos!!!!
  • PhenomeNae
    PhenomeNae Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bumpity.
  • GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I scramble it up with eggs, cheese and veggies on an embarrassingly regular basis.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I bake my tilapia fillets in tin foil with some salt and pepper and slices of lemon on top. I usually eat it with rice and veggies, but my favorite meal with tilapia is baked tilapia with rice, bok choy and oyster sauce. I cook all thing seperately, pan frying the bok choy in a tiny bit of canola oil and then pouring in a tablespoon of oyster sauce. I pour that over the fish and rice in a bowl. So amazing! And pretty low in calories!
  • gidget1994
    gidget1994 Posts: 8
    Options
    You can also use a mixture of fresh herbs to make a coating. Here is how I make mine:
    Thaw out fish, then rinse them off with tap water, place on papertowels and pat dry, Then you can make your own bread crumbs, dip in flour shake off the extra, dip in egg ,then put the bread crumbs and fresh herbs together..... place in the bread crumbs and pan fry. I use canola oil spray no calories.

Fresh Dill, thyme and salt and pepper.

Hope you will try this and like it.