Replies

• Just_One_Me
    Just_One_Me Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmm Perfect !
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be rude at all but buy fresh if you can. This goes for any seafood. It just tastes 10x better.
  • globalchic
    globalchic Posts: 2
    Options
    I use Old Bay and cook in a non stick pan so I don't need any oil. Also I like to BBQ it on the grill in a grill pan of course.
  • MissMiley
    MissMiley Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm just like you. I like shrimp and crawfish but not fish. I've just recently tried blackened talapia. It's good.....If you like spicy, which I do! You can buy blacken seasoning in the grocery store. We are having them tonight in fish tacos! Serve with corn tortillas, a little shredded cabbage slaw and chipolte mayo on the side ( low fat of course).
  • bstoetzer
    bstoetzer Posts: 96
    Options
    Bump
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Turn it into sushi or sashimi.
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Turn it into sushi or sashimi.

I think like you, raw fish is fantastic if just caught. My fav food is sashimi!!!
    Otherwise I'd put that fish on the grill with simple salt pepper and lemon. If you don't have a grill, put all of that into foil and bake. It is a light fish and anything else will over power it.
  • Pamu101
    Pamu101 Posts: 33
    Options
    bump
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    Ceviche. This is my *favorite* use for tilapia

1/2-1 whole jalapeno or serano chili diced finely (depending on how much heat you like) (or if you don't like heat, use green pepper)

1 or more tilapia fillets, depending on if you're sharing. chopped into small pieces
    1/2 a red our yellow pepper
    1/2 a cucumber seeded (I like skin on English cucumbers)
    1/2 cup lime juice (you can use fresh, or buy Real Lime juice. This is one of the few times I will use it.)
    handful of chopped cilantro
    ground pepper

Mix all this stuff together, adjust amounts of veggies and lime juice depending on how much fish you are using. I make this recipe for one, or for a dinner party) Let fish mixture sit in the fridge for at least an hour, or as many as four hours. The lime juice actually cooks the fish. Ceviche is not raw fish and does not have a sushi texture. It has a steamed or baked fish texture.

When ready to serve finish with a drizzle of olive oil, and salt to taste (don't salt until you're ready to serve, the salt will suck all the moisture out of the fish and make it tough if it sits for hours)

Serve with whole grain crackers, Brown rice, or on top of a pretty green salad. Delicious! (the crackers are my favorite)
  • lroxey
    lroxey Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Old Bay is a Cajun seasoning (blacking) spicy but delicious...As to bumping that I have no clue
  • lroxey
    lroxey Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    AGREED :)
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    Ok, Help me out here, What is Bump and Old Bay seasoning. I agree with Tilapia. I do not care for fish to much but am willing to try new things.I just have a picky family so can not try to many odd things.

"Bump" is just a short hand for tagging a post for alter reference, or moving it back up so more people will read and comment."

"Old Bay" is a seasoning spice mix usually used for seafood. You can probably find it at most grocery stores or online.
  • officiallymrswhite
    officiallymrswhite Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    This recipe is AWESOME! I use light butter, Hellman's Mayo with olive oil, and FF parmesan cheese....it's so good!

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=75983
  • km_jenn
    km_jenn Posts: 107
    Options
    bump!
  • Leslie715
    Leslie715 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I want to get some good old comfort food, I use the Zatarain's Bake and Crisp (like Shake and bake, but spicy!). It is great on talapia! My DH loves this and doesn't even realize it's NOT fried. ;-) Seriously... it's that good... and crisp and full of flavor.

http://www.zatarains.com/Products/Breadings-and-Fry-Mixes/Bake-and-Crisp-Seafood.aspx
  • Zandia_1
    Zandia_1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I love Tilapia fillets because it's about the only thing I can make that actually tastes good.

- Defrost the fillet by leaving it overnight in the fridge.
    - Get a small rectangular Pyrex and
    ........A) sprinkle fish seasoning on the bottom
    ............place 1-2 fillets in the container
    ............sprinkle more seasoning on top of the fish OR
    ........B) add 2-3 squeezed lemons, 1 tbs applesauce (or butter), 1 clove minced garlic, and pepper to taste
    .............place 1 or 2 fillets in the Pyrex
    - PLACE the lid, slightly askew, on top (DO NOT seal it shut!!!) of the Pyrex
    - Nuke on high for 5 - 5 1/2 minutes
    - Enjoy with rice, veggies, or whatever else you want!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I put them in a pan lined with foil, spray with olive oil, squirt with lemon, sprinkle with cayenne, salt, pepper, garlic and bake at 375 until they start to flake. That way, I don't have to watch the pan and I can use that time for sides, or to grab a shower if I'm eating dinner just after working out.

Enjoy!
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Defrost in warm water, pat dry, spray a piece of aluminum foil with olive oil spray, start grill, put some low cal marinade like Fat free dressing (I like Italian, Balsamic or Caezar) or a rub like Jerk ...then grill too perfection! I do salmon this way too! Only takes about 15 min or so depending on the thickness!
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    thanks all found some new yummy ideas

Connie
  • amberleighM04
    amberleighM04 Posts: 108
    Options
    Tilapia is a staple in my home. I will grill it on occasion, but for ease, I prefer to broil it. line a baking dish with foil, lay fish (sprinkled with seasoning) in the pan and add a little olive oil. Spritz with lemon and then broil for around 4 minutes per side (depending on thickness).

It's a favorite in my family.