SHOULD I ADD MY HOUSEHOLD CHORES TO MY EXCERCISE?

Options
13»

Replies

• Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I add mine because I have a desk job. It's activity outside my norm. Mowing lawn, cleaning the house, walking the dog and so on. Normally I only count it if it's 30 minutes or more... that's just my process.
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    Should I be adding things like mow the lawn or clean my yard to my exercise? I mean if I am off work for the day I need to make up for it by staying active so it seems pointless to add it to me..... any thoughts??

no.... well, mowing a lawn and cleaning the yard is different, they're not "household chores"

"household chores" is taking out the trash, washing dishes, cleaning room, laundry, etc.

Mowing a lawn with a push mower is usually hours of sweating in the sun and not everyone does it so ya, i'd count that
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Uhm... Have you lost weight like that before? I wouldn't not count that as exercise.
  • rjo921
    rjo921 Posts: 130
    Options
    You bet I do.....I clean every Sunday and I am constantly moving for at least two hours if not more....it adds up. If you are doing something physical for at least a half hour that gets your heartrate up.....log it
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    NO
  • rohenna
    rohenna Posts: 21
    Options
    I add it in as I am chasing a toddler around the house as well as doing housework all day. There are days when I dont get to exercise - such as a proper walk etc - so I also add it in to keep me motivated. After all, Im moving around, and quite often, so Im naturally burning calories. I'm losing weight, so I can't be going too wrong, surely? :)
  • surgesilk
    surgesilk Posts: 92
    Options
    No...for the same reason you dont add walking up stairs...it is just part of life and is already accounted for in your calorie goals.
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    If it is out of the ordinary, why not. You could be sitting on your butt doing nothing.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Uhm... Have you lost weight like that before? I wouldn't not count that as exercise.

have not added anything like mowing the lawn, chopping wood, or anything like that untill today when I realized I could, but I assumed 3-4 hours outside doing that should be making up for having the day off of work, I never really eat into my exercise calories anyway so I guess it is really pointless to add
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I only do it if it's something that I don't do often. Like mowing the lawn (hubby usually does) or deep cleaning where I am moving furniture around.

Otherwise, the sweeping every other day or things like that, I don't add because I kinda figure that's part of what type of "active" I choose.

Every now and then I will add gardening or something but I usually subtract like half the calories because you can't choose an effort level...
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    No way man! Not to sound rude but I hate when people log things like that.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    It depends on what it is. Standing in the kitchen washing dishes and unloading/loading the dishwasher - no. The other day I wiped down all the baseboards and all the cupboards and cabinets. It took 3 hours and later my legs and arms were burning (it was like doing squats for a few hours to do the baseboards and arm exercises with the scrubbing.) If you are going to count lunges then why wouldn't you count cleaning the baseboards which gives the same workout?
  • Cindy_Fit4Life
    Cindy_Fit4Life Posts: 147 Member
    Options

I don't either!