Muscle DOES NOT weigh more than FAT

Options
1234568»

Replies

• xcrunnergirl13
    xcrunnergirl13 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I HATE when people say that muscle does not weigh more than fat because 1 pound is 1 pound. In terms of comparative volume muscle DOES weigh more than fat. 1 cubic inch vs. 1 cubic inch. Also, a pound of muscle is less calorie dense than a pound of fat.
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Its funny that this topic keeps coming up again and again! :)

People will learn the difference when they want to.. It doesn't make any difference even if we keep shouting at the top of our lungs! :):heart:
  • krowy3g
    krowy3g Posts: 4
    Options
    Muscle does weigh more than fat. The analogy that 5 lbs of muscle is the same as 5 lbs is an incorrect way of making the point. Muscle is more dense than fat, therefore if you have the same volume of muscle and fat, say 5 cubic inches, then the muscle would have a larger mass (weight). The density of muscle is around 1.06 g/ml, just above water (~1.0 g/ml), and fat is around .9 g/ml. It really isn't a significant difference, but muscle does weigh more.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    How has this reached 6 pages?!

If you think someone is wrong when they say that muscle weighs more than fat then you are an idiot.

If you need it to be specified that they are talking about a comparative volume then you are either intentionally misunderstanding or are too stupid and shouldn't be allowed to comment...
  • widetobride
    widetobride Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Oh f--- not this again!!

Hahahaha!!! Ditto!!!

Folks, a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead. It weighs a pound!!! But the feathers are of course lighter. Hence why three bags of feathers weighs the same as one lead pipe!!

The point is that if you work out for two hours a day, you burn off calories, and also convert the fat to muscle. So a size six muscly woman may weigh more than an out of shape size eight. An inch of muscle weighs more than an inch of muscle, because the muscle is more dense and compact. Muscle does weigh more, and you can shrink and stay the same weight.

Case closed?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand why people get so worked up about this statement. I understand what people mean when they say it. Sigh.

I think it's because when someone says "muscle weighs more than fat" and then someone responds with "no it doesn't, a pound is a pound" it's insulting because the responder has obviously assumed the OP is so stupid that they think if you have the same weight of 2 things they could weigh differently. It's rude not to assume that the OP is of at least average intelligence and is talking about the same size portion of muscle of fat.
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    But 500lbs of Lead weights more than 500lbs of Feathers.

I kid I kid. I see this all over the web. There's a difference between Weight and Density and apparently many people missed out on that in 6th grade science class.
  • ba1031
    ba1031 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Very logical....Great Post!
  • muchadoaboutme2000
    muchadoaboutme2000 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    But the real question is, if I climb to the roof and drop a hunk of fat and a hunk of muscle, which one will land first? Also, if 2 cars leave the house traveling at 50mph in opposite directions, what color hat did the monkey wear Tuesday?
  • muchadoaboutme2000
    muchadoaboutme2000 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Oh f--- not this again!!

Hahahaha!!! Ditto!!!

Folks, a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead. It weighs a pound!!! But the feathers are of course lighter. Hence why three bags of feathers weighs the same as one lead pipe!!

The point is that if you work out for two hours a day, you burn off calories, and also convert the fat to muscle. So a size six muscly woman may weigh more than an out of shape size eight. An inch of muscle weighs more than an inch of muscle, because the muscle is more dense and compact. Muscle does weigh more, and you can shrink and stay the same weight.

Case closed?

Why does everyone seem to have pounds of feathers laying around? Sounds like one H*** of a mess....