What's your ideal body fat percentage?

Options
I'm at the point in this journey where I'm focusing now on muscle gain/fat loss vs. losing weight. I haven't lost in about a month and a half but have been doing Brazil Butt Lift and have lost at least a size more, so I can tell I'm gaining muscle and losing fat even though I'm not losing weight. I'm curious, what's everyone's ideal body fat percentage where they want to be?

Replies

• goldenguymsw
    goldenguymsw Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    When in college and working out at an intense level... I was at 8% body fat... I think physically fit for a male is probably 10 to 15% and higher for females. I will be happy to get to less than 15% body fat... I am not going to expect to get back to 8%... just don't think its realistic for me at this stage in my life.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Aiming for 15% @ 200lbs LBM.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I think between 18% and 20% is ideal. You know where I'm at and I don't think going lower than that is healthy for females (unless you are competing or something like that) I have seen how it can impact your hormones and that is nit something I want to deal with.
    My goal will be to maintain this % and try not to focus on the scale. I would not mind the scale going up a bit if body fat % stays the same. That just means I'm gaining muscles.
  • LizJ08
    LizJ08 Posts: 127
    Options
    There's a table in the Fat2Fit app and it looks like for a male, the healthy range is between 8 percent to 22 percent for males ages 20-60 (range gets higher depending on age). For a female, healthy range looks to be between 21 to 35 for females ages 20-60 (same thing, range gets higher with age). The last time I checked, mine was around 23.6. I really can't decide what my goal should be! I guess I'll just keep working at it and see where I land!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    For a female, healthy range looks to be between 21 to 35 for females ages 20-60 (same thing, range gets higher with age). The last time I checked, mine was around 23.6. I really can't decide what my goal should be! I guess I'll just keep working at it and see where I land!

Hmmm, that means I might be too low...
    I need to research this know.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    15% almost there!
  • moe5474
    moe5474 Posts: 162
    Options
    For a female, healthy range looks to be between 21 to 35 for females ages 20-60 (same thing, range gets higher with age). The last time I checked, mine was around 23.6. I really can't decide what my goal should be! I guess I'll just keep working at it and see where I land!

Hmmm, that means I might be too low...
    I need to research this know.

My trainer at the gym told me that there's no reason I shouldn't be at 18-19% body fat. I'm currently 5'9, weigh 148 and am 23% bf (26 yo female) and I thought I was doing good....guess not :(

I'll be looking to lower my % to around 19%
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    10-12% tops.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I'm shooting for 25% and then I'll decide from there. Currently 35% down from 48%!!! (I have put on muscle while still losing pounds.)
  • LizJ08
    LizJ08 Posts: 127
    Options
    Whoa...15? I'm fatter than you girls, LOL. Maria, I'm not sure about how accurate that info is on Fat2Fit. The info that you had may be more accurate.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Trying to get around 17-18% for running purposes. Currently around 20%, almost 19!
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    I'm at 18% right now. I'm cutting to get down to 16%

Edit to add: I'm 5'3 and 122 lbs.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    15% and 115 would be ideal for me, and I am probably about 18, maybe 19% now at 5'5" and 130 pounds now. Oh, and this is to compete... not for everyday.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for 16-19% bf at about 150-155 lbs. I'm 5'8" This will make me look pretty muscular.
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that for younger females less than 15% is Risky for being low,15-18% is athletes, 18-22% is lean, 22-30% is healthy, 30-40% is excess fat, and over 40% is Risky on the high end.

**These ranges were pulled from my bod pod results**

I am at 32% at the moment and want to get down to 22-25% range.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is 10%.
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm at 16%, 185 lb, age 43. The scale hasn't moved in weeks, but bf% decreased, so I am happy. I think I would be very happy at 12 to 13% for the summer, then bulk in the winter
  • Tara1B
    Tara1B Posts: 78
    Options
    Trying to get around 17-18% for running purposes. Currently around 20%, almost 19!

Me too! My goal is to lose 11lb and get to 18-19% - currently 1lb off and around 20%.
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    18-20%
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    17-18%