How much harder is a full marathon compared to a half?

Options

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    A HM every other day actually sounds like a pretty good way to build base if one can't run every day. I think that Arthur Lydiard would approve. A second, short and easy, run on those days would help even more.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    A HM every other day actually sounds like a pretty good way to build base if one can't run every day. I think that Arthur Lydiard would approve. A second, short and easy, run on those days would help even more.

Maybe so. Unconventional to be sure. You are getting up into LSD range on each one of those though, depending upon your pace. Plenty of recover time too. I suppose if you added some fartleky stuff in one of them and a tempo section in another it could work. I'd think that fewer miles more frequently would be more effective though. *shrug*
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Maybe so. Unconventional to be sure. You are getting up into LSD range on each one of those though, depending upon your pace. Plenty of recover time too. I suppose if you added some fartleky stuff in one of them and a tempo section in another it could work. I'd think that fewer miles more frequently would be more effective though. *shrug*

What about the long runs all being 16+? Do you guys believe in alternating the long runs like 12, 20, 12, 20 or keeping all of them long?
  • gatecityradio
    gatecityradio Posts: 401
    Options
    about 50% harder.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    about 50% harder.

We've already been over this. :)
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

What about the long runs all being 16+? Do you guys believe in alternating the long runs like 12, 20, 12, 20 or keeping all of them long?

I never step back to 12 after a 20. I often do 20s for three straight weeks. I might step back to 16 or something. It all depends on how well you recover from your 20s.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Maybe not 12, 20 during the final stages of marathon training. More like 16, 20, 17, 20. Depends on your level of fitness too, obviously. I don't think back to back 16s would be that taxing. Not like 20s on back to back weeks would be.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    about 50% harder.

Actually that would imply the second half is actually twice as easy as the first half.

First half is 13.1 miles. 50% harder would mean 13.1 + (13.1 / 2) = 19.65 miles assuming every mile is equally hard.

The correct incorrect answer would be 100% harder. :)
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    about 50% harder.

Actually that would imply the second half is actually twice as easy as the first half.

First half is 13.1 miles. 50% harder would mean 13.1 + (13.1 / 2) = 19.65 miles assuming every mile is equally hard.

Look at the big brain on Brad! :laugh:
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    I say you can do the Marathon.
    You are a runner!
    The bit about your age is bunk.
    $.02 Z.
  • zippo32
    Options
    oh yeah, not letting the thread die just yet...................
    I realize I have more to add. After reading all six pages of responses I thought I did it all wrong. My first organized run was the full and I trained alone. I did Hal Higdon's novice for full. I love that guy. Never met him.
    I'm not off the full. Now I volunteer at mile marker 19 because that was the WORST for me. I even go out to that marker when I finish a half, just to support the runners. I really enjoy running and encourage others to just keep running.
    $.04 Z
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    about 50% harder.

Look at the big brain on Brad! :laugh:

Ha, I totally suck at Math and even I was all...no, 100% -- at the very minimum. 50% would be like 19.7ish miles. But running still doesn't work that way. :tongue:
  • zippo32
    Options
    images66-4.jpg
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    images66-4.jpg

*thumbs up*
  • Tribonian
    Tribonian Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this post doesn't land in the right spot, but thanks for the responses to my unconventional approach. Yes, I am running a half every other day at around 9:00/mi. I was doing shorter more frequent runs but that apparently contributed to shin splints and being sidelined for Nov-Dec. Bottom line is that at 43, my joints and bones seem to need a full day off from running. Cardio and muscles seem fine- I am not really sore even after the long runs. Time management is also an issue since I have two kids and an amazing wife to spend time with. I can swing a half "commuting" if I get up early enough. I cross train on the alternate days and take one weekend day off completely.

Thanks again, everyone!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    So glad to see this still going. :laugh:
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I ran 2 half marathons and 4 Marine Corps marathons, 20 years ago. The half was fun too me and I used it as part of my training to motivate me. The full marathons were a hell of a lot harder, required more training and commitment, but was much more rewarding. The first full I went out to finish, the next 3 were like being addicted, I just wanted to beat my previous time. I actually ran one with the flu( realized morning of race I had it) but like dumb *kitten*, still ran. Well, either way, good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!!!! It's worth it in the end, in my opinion.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    This might be a good place to get some advice.

I ran my first half back in Oct of 2011, have ran at leat a half almost every weekend since. I am planning to run a full in Nov, although I may run one the first weekend in Sept.

I am several weeks ahead in my training. Ran 20 miles 3 weeks ago, followed up with an 18, then 16. I am concerned about overtraining.

I have registered for a half Sept 2nd. They also have the full that same day. If I felt strong at the halfway point, I was considering continuing to run and at least get in a 18-20 mile run or keep going for the full. Not sure that it is wise to consider running the full in Sept and maybe, I should hold back on my training to be ready for the full in Nov. I would have to taper for the Sept full.
    If I didn't finish the full in Sept , I may have over done it and not be able to be ready for the full in Oct.

May be wiser to pull back a bit now and run the half in Sept and be ready for the full in Nov.

Thanks for any help.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    This might be a good place to get some advice.

I ran my first half back in Oct of 2011, have ran at leat a half almost every weekend since. I am planning to run a full in Nov, although I may run one the first weekend in Sept.

I am several weeks ahead in my training. Ran 20 miles 3 weeks ago, followed up with an 18, then 16. I am concerned about overtraining.

I have registered for a half Sept 2nd. They also have the full that same day. If I felt strong at the halfway point, I was considering continuing to run and at least get in a 18-20 mile run or keep going for the full. Not sure that it is wise to consider running the full in Sept and maybe, I should hold back on my training to be ready for the full in Nov. I would have to taper for the Sept full.
    If I didn't finish the full in Sept , I may have over done it and not be able to be ready for the full in Oct.

May be wiser to pull back a bit now and run the half in Sept and be ready for the full in Nov.

Thanks for any help.

Couple points to consider.

You should have one recovery day for every mile raced. So, if you race 26.2, you should have almost 4 weeks of recovery time. For some runners, this means nothing to walking and other forms of cross training for that time. More experienced runners will take less time off from running, but start back up with real easy running and a lot fewer miles than during marathon training. As you stated your first HM was just this past year, I would think you would fall more toward the former. That being said, doing a marathon in October and one in November would not be something I would suggest.

Running the HM in September is a great idea for your build up to a marathon. If it's early enough in September, it might be appropriate for either an October or November marathon. I would discourage the idea of "running it and seeing how I feel" and making a decision to go the entire route. In order to get the best benefit from that HM, you should be racing it. Your HM race pace is going to be significantly faster than your marathon pace. If raced properly, you won't feel like you can go any further when you finish.

As for your training, if you are already doing 20s, then I think you might be on the verge of overdoing it. I ran the Baltimore Marathon last year on October 15th. I did my first 20 mile run September 3rd. I was doing high mileage, but the long runs weren't up to that level (55 to 65 miles per week). By the time the race rolled around, I was fit and fresh after a 10 day taper and I ran a 3:26 (a 12 minute PR). Have you looked at any marathon training plans, or are you just winging it? Hal Higdon is generally recognized for really good plans.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    MUCH harder. when I ran marathons I ALWAYS hit the wall around mile 17 and struggled until mile 22. it never failed to slap me right in the face and shake me to my core. I almost gave up the first time.

BUT

If you train for - and complete - a marathon, the feeling is nothing to be compared to. Nothing can stop you after that. You ran a MARATHON! When I trained I started in March and the race was in Sept., Oct or Nov. depending on the one I did. I only ran 22 miles for my long run before the race, but I always wished I had done a full one just to be fully prepared. I always needed more fuel for the extra distance than I thought. Sharkies were my best friend. And Gu. The Lemon and Banana ones were my favorite.