Did you tell anyone?

Options

Replies

• Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    From day 1 I told everyone I knew because I wanted them to grow jealous of me as I got healthier and more toned. :wink:
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am such a private person, that I don't tell anyone anymore. I have in the past to recruit my friends who wanted to lose weight, but I just like it to be my own private thing. Also my husband knows but he doesn't know how much I want to lose etc.

That being said I don't "hide" it. If someone asks me what I am doing I totally recommend this site and tell them things I have learned.
  • cwatson1214
    cwatson1214 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I told everyone. I wanted to accountable. And I have a big mouth and tell everyone everything...LOL

I am the same way Kristen. In fact I even started posting pics about myself (although I cant figure out on MFP how to). Otherwise how would i know my progress. I need accountability too
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The thought occurred to me to keep it to myself this time, with pretty much the same mindset of wanting to do this for me and not have it be about what anyone else thinks... Problem is, I'm an open book so I couldn't keep my own secret for long. Plus, I was going to WW meetings at work so it was pretty obvious, at least to some of my coworkers, that I was working on losing weight.

The only person who made a negative comment was my brother. I forgave him because I love him but for a while, I was so ticked off that it gave me true motivation. He said something like "oh here we go again" when I told him I was joining WW and boy you better believe I wanted to prove him wrong! Of course more positive reasons to continue took the lead pretty quickly but I'm thankful in a way that he gave me that push.

This is totally cliche but seriously, if she's your best friend, she should be supportive no matter how she feels about it. My gym buddy is jealous of my weight loss because she's been stuck for months. It bothered me at first and I didn't even want to share my successes with her in order to avoid that reaction but after a while I figured it was her problem not mine. I'm going to keep telling her when I lose and maybe it'll tick her off enough to motivate her to change her ways. She does a lot of things right but refuses to track her food...and I just know it would make all the difference.

My point is, if she does react negatively when you do finally tell her, just tell her what you told us - you needed to do it on your own this time. And maybe add on that if she wants to try what you did, you'll give her the website and all that. Ignore her negativity as much as you can.

Best of luck!! :)
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
  • kmpawley
    kmpawley Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just started so it could change but I haven't told anyone. I think if I don't tell and people start noticing it will motivate me and make me feel good about how far I've come.:happy: :happy:
  • bailyc
    bailyc Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have tried the whole 'keep it a secret' thing in the past and I would only stay motivated for a couple weeks at a time and then go back to my same bad habits. This time however (after finding myself at my largest), I joined MFP and started the INSANITY program. I told my boyfriend, co-workers, roommates, sister and some of my closest friends. At least one person a day asks me how its going which keeps me accountable. Their enthusiasm in my journey keeps me motivated and excited about it. I always thought people would be unsupported and I was worried that they would tell me I was crazy or couldn't do it. I have been so happily surprised by the amount of support I have received.
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I told my husband. That's really it. People noticed though and they noticed I wasn't eating as much and at work I was turning down the meal that they cook in favor of a bag of grapes or whatever - so I told them. Some people are ****s, and will continue to be so. Other people have been really nice. I didn't tell my mum until two weeks ago (she lives in another country so didn't see me and much of my weight issues revolve around family calling me fat as a child).
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I really did not afraid of the stigma and or comments associated with the ignorant. I just started excercising and making better food choices. Hell I really did not even tell my wife I mean she new I was excersising and all but thats it really.
  • sjmitchner
    sjmitchner Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I told everyone, even post my progress and exercise on Facebook. But it didn't work out the the way I expected. I have about 200 friends (yes I know each one personally) and 3 of them comment/like those posts. If I measured support or caring by responses to my post I would probably have quit. However as I've lost weight and become more active, I care less about what others think. It's sad to think about how many things I've missed out on because I didn't have the confidence to see it through. More amazing is how many things I am planning that I never would have done if I hadn't committed to this journey. I will still talk about it with people who are trying to lose themselves, but it's not something I bring up. I have many friends who sabotage themselves, some who try to take me with them, I hope that when they see how well I'm doing they might change their perspective. Then again they might not. Their health (or lack thereof) is not my concern, that is to say I care about them, but I can't be bogged down by their baggage. I am being selfish for a change. It's about me, and your weigh loss/ increased fitness should be about you.
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    Everyone in my life knows, and for the most part is VERY supportive. A lot of my friends even ask me for adivce, and have told me I'm their inspiration for trying to get fit and be healthier. It was just easier for everyone to know for me, because my friends now understand why I would rather meet up for a coffee than a beer or go hiking instead of going to a movie. I get just as much support from my friends on facebook as I do here. They've been a big help in keeping me motivated. Not to mention, proving all the nay-sayers wrong was good motivation for me as well. ;]
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    yes i told.. I had lived a life of hiding dieting before n never worked for me...i lost n then went back to eating n wasnt accountable for nothing...not this time... it's all out there. i am glad i did...for the support i received was wonderful. sure there were a few sabboteurs but my supporters outweighed them.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I would shout it from the rooftops if I wasn't afraid of heights. So for now, I'll just tell everyone how awesome MFP is as a great tool to help you eat right and exercise. :) so yes, I tell EVERYONE who asks what I'm doing to lose weight. :)
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    I think it would be funny if you told them you had cancer, and then later on tell them that you were joking, and that you've been on a diet.
  • Gloria67648
    Gloria67648 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I felt like it was a big step for me telling mfp how much I wanted to lose. 135 pounds. I told my dad and aunts that I was using this app to track my food but didn't go into specifics really until I had lost 15 pounds. My cousin who was visiting made me get on the phone with her daughter and tell her about it. My aunt M is the best cook and I explained that I would only be taking small portions of whatever she was cooking. She does give some advice that I just say yeah yeah to but overall she's been supportive. It's nice to be able to share some things like yesterday when I was wearing pants that I haven't worn in a year and a half. She says she can see that I've lost. I can't, yet but I do feel it especially when walking the dogs. I don't feel as though I'm hobbling along. As much.

My coworkers haven't noticed but the 3 out of 4 of them who live close to work and don't walk to work started talking about why they can't walk to work. I thought that was funny because I'm not making a big deal about walking to work.

It will be nice to hear wow you look great but I'm really doing this for me so one day I will say that to myself lol!
  • Spy74
    Spy74 Posts: 2
    Options
    I showed my husband the app after I found it. My doc already told me I needed to stay on a 1200 calorie diet. I tried counting myself but it just wasn't working. So, I use this app, changes the way I eat and stick to the serving size that's suggested for the food. As for my husband and my step son I told them im gonna change what i eat and they can fend for themselves. In awful i know but i do it for me. And its fun trying to make he gole or under the gole along with walking in the yard. My walking app tells me how far I've gone and i try to do a little more each time just to challenge my self.
    Go on with Your Way and when you friend notices and wants advice then help her. This is Your thing. And i can see that you realize this in your last post.
    By the way, i have MS and started this at 180#'s and have lost 10! And I'm feeling great, with the help of this app and My Walk app I can do this and so can you!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I didnt admit it til I was halfway to goal.
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I told no-one, I'd started and gave up so many time I decided not to. Only my boyfriend knows what I'm doing. Also if no-one knows what I'm doing theres not that pressure to HAVE to lose every week or face having to tell people you put on 2lbs. Also its a nice gauge to find out when your weight loss actually starts showing as people start asking if you've lost.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I told a few people, kinda wished I didn't.
    They are mostly supportive because they are in the same boat (going to the gym, trying to lose a few lbs) I have a little more to lose. But when we went to dairy queen I didn't order anything because I was full from supper. Well they blabbed to my other friends that I "was on a diet", I wasn't very happy with them.
    Bah!
  • MelWelch
    MelWelch Posts: 2
    Options
    Well said.. I agree! Your personal journey is the perfect way to look at it. It's yours and don't let anyone else divert you from it.