Request: Chicken Tacos!

Options

Replies

• N_Bridgeman
    N_Bridgeman Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    1) Smallest possible soft tortillas

2) I know you said sour cream is a must.....I SWEAR greek yogurt 0% tastes exactly like sour cream....way lower calorie and healthier.....or chop up some avocados with cilantro and tomato...healthy guacamole

3) Salsa = almost no calories...with chicken I LOVE LOVE LOVE mango salsa.....you can buy it pre-made, or make it yourself

4)I agree with adding veggies to the meat to lower calories (think fajitas). Or you can even buy ground chicken, add taco seasoning, and add mixed beans to the meat.

Anyway..hope you have an amazing dinner!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    We just use ground chicken or turkey, but be careful to look for the 93/7 lean/fat content. Mission hard shells are 150 calories for three. Had them last night! On tacos that have enough spice, the reduced fat sour cream tastes just as good as the regular!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Chopped fresh cilantro for sure. I like the fat free sour cream if I mix some taco sauce with it. Pico de Gallo of course. And my favorite....wontons baked crisp for filling!

DITTO on the cilantro. LOVE that stuff!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like to make double decker tacos. I take a corn taco shell and 1/2 a Flat out wrap. Make the taco as usual (I use low sodium taco seasoning packets to season the meat, salsa for the sauce and add jalapenos), then spread some fat free refried beans on the wrap and wrap it around the outside of the taco. SO yummy.
  • tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    There are several brands of whole wheat, low carb tortillas that are 50-60 calories. Definitely get those, the shells for your tacos will kill your calorie count otherwise. Sounds pretty close to the mission hard shells
  • afigueroa_pr
    afigueroa_pr Posts: 344
    Options
    I use these magnificent tortillas
    I believe they're the Ole high fiber tortillas.
    Only 71 calories each (and they're huge) with tons of fiber and low carbs.
  • amphion
    amphion Posts: 48
    Options
    If you are using sour cream you are doing it wrong.

This recipe is close to what i do: http://www.food.com/recipe/mexican-chicken-tacos-329093
    I add cilantro to the marinade. But some people have a gene that makes cilantro taste like soap. So it is up to you.
  • susanne181818
    Options
    Try using 6" x 6" wonton wrappers instead of taco shells. They are only like 100 calories for 3 of them, which hacks off a good amount of calories. Just brush em' with a thin coat of olive oil before baking them. Hmmmm, now that I think of it, I can probably make chicken taquitos like that too!
  • pogojr
    pogojr Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    In the future, the crock pot recipe is the way to go! I use 6 frozen chicken breasts topped with 2 cups salsa of your choice (we used a generic salsa) and 1 packet of taco seasoning of your choice. I layer 3 chicken breast, half salsa mix, more chicken, remaining salsa. On low in the crock pot 6-7 hours. It falls apart. Its the first recipe in a long time that my husband hasn't tinkered with (he does 98% of the cooking at our house). We froze half of the meat and pulled it out a few weeks later. Mmmm, think we might need to make it again soon!
  • LoveToSpa
    LoveToSpa Posts: 3
    Options
    I just had them last night for dinner. I boiled a boneless, skinless chicken breast, 3 corn tortillas, and added picante salsa. I had 3 very low in calories. of course you can add, lettuce, tomatoes and even a fat free cheese. Good luck
  • N_Bridgeman
    N_Bridgeman Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've used lettuce as the taco shell....like a lettuce wrap...but if you can find the low calorie options everyone is talking about (which I have never seen and will keep my eye open for), they sound like a great idea!
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Extra Thin Corn Tortilla's steamed. Usually between 70-80 calories for 2 tortillas. You can also spray them with a little cooking spray and bake for a little crispiness. You can make lettuce wraps as well.

Corn and Black Bean Salsa goes well with chicken tacos too. Can of black beans (drained and rinsed), can of corn (drained & rinsed), chopped red and green bell pepper, chopped onion and lime juice. Mix, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hr to let the flavors combine. Add chopped avacado before serving.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    bumping for later thanks
  • toomuchsweetness
    toomuchsweetness Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    i make my own taco seasoning.. would probably boil the chicken in some rotel tomatos then shred it.. as for the shells, I buy fat free ones.. La banderita makes them.. 89 calories for one burrito shell. I also use kraft shredded cheese with a touch of philadelphia in it.. it seems to be less calories than regular shredded cheese. I also make my own salsa verde.. boil 3 tomatoes, 2 serrano peppers, 1 jalapeno til skin comes off tomatoes. .. small onion, cilantro, and the rest of the ingredients blended in blender... adding garlic powder and salt to taste. Its like 8 calories for a couple tablespoons and its got quite the kick.
  • choosingsara
    choosingsara Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • jennmariepantoja
    jennmariepantoja Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am making this as we speak in the slow cooker:

16oz chicken breast
    1 large can rotel
    1 reg can of corn
    1 reg can of black beans (no salt, rinsed and drained)
    Added a packet of goya

Cook on low for 6 hours

Will be served with yellow corn tortillas and fat free shredded cheese
    If you fancy sour cream, try a mixture of fat free sour cream and greek yogurt
  • pigmartianpig
    Options
    Tip for any taco meat- use baby food carrots in lieu of water when mixing in the spices.
  • SlinkySpencer
    SlinkySpencer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If you're really craving hard shell tacos, they shouldn't kill your calorie count if you're careful with the sides/toppings. You can have 3 hard shell tacos for 150 cal and about 20 carbs. I like to stuff half my shell with a few spoonfuls of low fat refried beans, then add the toppings :)
  • Naptownbabi
    Naptownbabi Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    2 mission soft corn tortillas = 80 calories and 10 mg of sodium very tasty. just toast them on each side for about 10 sec in a non buttered frying pan. i usually take an avacado mash it up and spread it on the tortilla then a layer on some low-fat re-fried beans. shread chicken with taco seasoning(i only use about 1/4 of the package too much sodium) and veggies yummy
  • Baloo
    Baloo Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Never have tried to shred chicken for tacos but it sounds really easy!
    We usually use leftover baked or grilled chicken breast, sliced into strips and reheated with peppers & onions in a skillet. Serve on high fiber tortillas (50 cal each) with shredded cheese and salsa or pico.