Anyone else hate to be called "ma'am"?

Options

Replies

• Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I call anyone significantly older or in a position of power over me 'sir' or 'ma'am'. Military background is what made me start, respect it shows will keep me doing it. I also don't mind being called ma'am at all :)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I get more annoyed when I'm addressed as "kid". I'm in my 20s and some people swear left, right, up and backwards that I look like I belong in high school. The polite version of that tends to be "miss" and it usually follows the question of can they speak to my guardian or see my ID to validate I'm over 18.

As long as I'm not referred to as "hey you" or some four letter word that's not in jest I'm alright. I'm just happy people actually can see I'm female.
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    I realized this a long time ago, but at work what's the best thing to say then? Just nothing? I feel like I'm being disrespectful if I don't address you as SOMETHING... and sometimes dude just doesn't cut it.
    May I suggest "homeslice".

:laugh: thats great
  • katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'd rather hear, "Excuse me, ma'am?" then, "Hey, lady."
  • comet_wow
    comet_wow Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm from Scotland and I fall in love with every American guy who calls me ma'am lol, it's only ever Americans who do it and it's just so nice. :heart:
  • fliesdonotbelong
    fliesdonotbelong Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Lol, I'm in the Army. Everyone is Sir, Ma'am, or Sergeant.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I love it!!.. Its a term normally used by military guys or cops.. and I LOOOOOVE :love: those guys, something about their uniform LOL

BUUUUUT, I HATE the word ´mami´ (or ´ma´), cant stand it, its so tacky :explode:
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I just call everybody "Yo".
  • AccordingtoTodd
    AccordingtoTodd Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised in the south, My grandmother taught me the proper way to address a female was Ma'am, which I did as a child and I still do to this day. So if there is a 16 year old young lady working the register at Subway, I will address her as Ma'am. I don't think about it. I just do it.

I travel all over the country now, and in many areas I go, I get weird looks (or maybe that is because of my southern accent, lol, I am not sure).

I don't think I could train myself to not do it anymore. I mean no disrepect at all.
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I hate being called ma'am. Absolutely HATE it .But I realize it's a regional thing.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I can't stand it. It makes me feel old. I tell people, my mom is ma'am. I am Jenny, Peach, or hey you. But don't call me ma'am.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I don't mind ma'am, but I really really don't like being called "Sweetie" :grumble:
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it. It is a sign of respect no matter the age. I will teach my kids to say it and yes sir. Not enough kids now days have any respect so when someone says it I am impressed.

YES! I use to hate it, but now I think it's a sign of respect. The younger people that "ma'am" me are almost always the most respectful and helpful. Besides. When someone says "Yes, ma'am" that means I'm in charge! ;-)
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised in the south, My grandmother taught me the proper way to address a female was Ma'am, which I did as a child and I still do to this day. So if there is a 16 year old young lady working the register at Subway, I will address her as Ma'am. I don't think about it. I just do it.

I travel all over the country now, and in many areas I go, I get weird looks (or maybe that is because of my southern accent, lol, I am not sure).

I don't think I could train myself to not do it anymore. I mean no disrepect at all.

I am from the south too, so I totally get it. I just hate it.
  • AccordingtoTodd
    AccordingtoTodd Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    sorry peachNpunkin:flowerforyou:
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    Maybe it's because I'm from Texas, but it doesn't bother me one bit. My guy, who is from Oregon, laughs, a lot, if that happens though. =D
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    "Honey" or "sweetie" is perfectly fine if it's from someone I have a familiar relationship with (I use it relatively often)...but from strangers, I do feel like it's a bit demeaning.

As for ma'am: it does make me feel a little old, and I much prefer miss, but I don't particularly mind it because anyone who calls me that is simply trying to be respectful.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I HATE it, but if my residents call me it I am okay with it, because that was just their time...
  • shoegal517
    shoegal517 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan...I like "miss" because I'm not 100... I also like Madam because I feel like I'm vacationing in Europe :smile:
  • MereExtraordinaire
    MereExtraordinaire Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yes.

But I prefer "ma'am" to "sweetie" or "baby", if it's a total stranger.