Anyone else hate to be called "ma'am"?

Options

Replies

• phil4v7
    phil4v7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Tennessee, so every female is "ma'am". Doesn't matter if they're a sixteen year old cashier at walmart or someone's great grandmother. I don't remember ever getting any complaints about "ma'am", but I did once have a boss who always replied that "sir" was his father.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I feel you.
    I hate being called 'sir'
    I look about 21 but I am 31 years olf.
    Makes me feel like an old fogie.
    lol i look about 18 and get called sir...seriously ??
  • districtchief
    Options
    I think ma'am and sir is a perfect way to address someone whom you do not know. Raised in the Missouri we always called those older as such, now I live in the South and it is just the way it is, but then after the military I do it for anyone that I do not know. I do not say it as a means of addressing you due to your age, I call young or old by those terms. If you feel "old" by being addressed by the term, then perhaps you need to just relax and take it as it was meant.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I get more annoyed when I'm addressed as "kid". I'm in my 20s and some people swear left, right, up and backwards that I look like I belong in high school. The polite version of that tends to be "miss" and it usually follows the question of can they speak to my guardian or see my ID to validate I'm over 18.

As long as I'm not referred to as "hey you" or some four letter word that's not in jest I'm alright. I'm just happy people actually can see I'm female.

LOL!! When I was 26/27 years old, had 2 kids, I worked at a retirement facility. I looked like I was in my late teens, and so many of my residents told me what a "sweet kid" I was...sometime in the last 10 years I have gone from "miss" to "ma'am" <sniff>. I guess this means that I am finally looking near my age! LOL
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I don't mind being called Ma'am but it sure tripped me bigtime when we moved to Newfoundland and men younger than me called me "My Maid" as a term of endearment instead of Ma'am .

My Newfoundlander hubby was laughing his *kitten* off when I told him I thought they were flirting with me /facepalm :blushing:
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I hate it. I've always hated it
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I LOVE being called ma'am. (I'm 27, btw). My parents taught me to call everyone 'sir' or 'ma'am' and drilled in my head that using those terms is a sign of respect. So, when I hear others call me 'ma'am' I'm actually happy to hear it.
  • SeekingBacon
    SeekingBacon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do not like it one bit! I am 30 and I feel like "whoa what the hell!" when i hear those words. lol Oh well maybe there just trying to be polite but still it makes me cringe.
  • ashlafer
    ashlafer Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't mind ma'am because I think it has alot to do with your culture (southerners like it, for example). I am not senstive about my age so I think that helps...you are always an "old fogie" to SOMEONE.

What I HATE though is "honey" or "sweetie" or any other term of endearment. I know it is a cultural thing too but I just feel so...violated? when someone I don't know refers to me in a familiar, intimate way like that. :sick:

I'm ok with "honey" or "sweetie" if it's from somebody I'm close with (i.e. one of my best friends). I hate it when strangers use it. It's really belittling.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I hate it unless the person has a southern accent. Then it's kind of hot. :laugh:
  • amber_gem
    amber_gem Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me but I grew up in TX. Only time it did bother me was a very young co-worker used to call me ma'am all the time because she really thought I was old compared to her.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Ugh I hate it too even if I know its only respectful way of saying it regardless of any age. I will accept that if the one who calls me that are either subordinates or they're younger than me.
  • jiggy_gibby
    jiggy_gibby Posts: 197
    Options
    I like Ma'am. I am not offended at all because it shows respect.

Do not call me "Bro", "Cuzzo", "Dawg" or "Girl" in my classroom. And I have been called far worse by some foul mouthed teenagers.

At the Doctor's office, do not call me "honey", "sweetpea" or "dear". The young nurses do and I go to a female doctor!! I said please write this on my chart in all all caps - do not call me anything other than "Mrs. Last Name" or "Ma'am."

And finally, Mr. Waiter at my favorite restaurant do not call me "Love" every five seconds. I am not your love and it is not endearing.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Tennessee, so every female is "ma'am". Doesn't matter if they're a sixteen year old cashier at walmart or someone's great grandmother. I don't remember ever getting any complaints about "ma'am", but I did once have a boss who always replied that "sir" was his father.

LOL!! Several years ago I encountered a friend's husband at the barber shop, and greeted him with "hi Mr K" and he looked at me and said "Mr K is my dad...I'm Rodney"...Rodney was in his 80's at the time! :D

I've been married for 11 years, and it took me most of those to not look around for my MIL when someone said "mrs Braun..."
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I used to, then I married a soldier. Now I kind of like it heh. Well, from everyone except him LOL

i married a sailor and everyone always calls me ma'am lol i hate it but i have gotten use to it i have been called ma'am since i was 23 when we married lmao
  • sailorsiren13
    sailorsiren13 Posts: 460
    Options
    I'm a Ks Princess who was raised to say "Sir or Ma'am" or i received a slap upside the head. When i had my kids i decided to raise them the same way but without the slaps. Now when i'm around my friends kids and they are so disrespectful to people i'm shocked. I'm proud that my children are always complimented on their manners even when they are in trouble. :laugh: It also comes in handy going from base to base since their daddy is a southern sailor and we never know who we are going to be introduced to at a moment's notice. so nope sir or ma'am never bothers me.
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Heaven's, don't come to Texas.

I say ma'am almost as much as I say y'all. :smile:
  • aspen_matthews
    Options
    I'm an Army brat and I work for the Air Force. Completely used to it. It is nice to be called miss, though :-)
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I used to like when people called me "sir." Now that I'm over 40, it bugs me.

:laugh:
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Don't call me ma'am. I work for a living.