Six months in - 40% there, and lessons learned

Options

Replies

• Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    #7 - TAKE ONE DAY AT A TIME.

When I hit that plateau, I knew I needed to change something up to get back on track. After reviewing my diary and my pedometer logs, I realized that I would often go three, four, five days in a row without exercising. About that same time, a friend of mine sent me a link to an article that gave me an additional tool to motivate me to walk every single day. Now, choosing to blow off exercise for a day is no longer even an option in my mind.
    http://lifehacker.com/5886128/how-seinfelds-productivity-secret-fixed-my-procrastination-problem
    Congrats on your progress, and what a great post! I'm definitely using Seinfeld's productivity secret once I get access to a printer.

This Seinfeld trick is probably the most powerful one in my arsenal right now. I love my snooze button, but now when the alarm goes off my first thought is about "not breaking the chain" and earning another red X on my calendar before I even go to work. (I may be a little obsessed here.)

I've only missed one day since the beginning of March (and that was only because I was traveling that day and didn't have an opportunity to walk), and I'll be darned if I'm going to let laziness break the streak. As of yesterday I've got 30 days in a row. And now... it's time for me to put on my shoes and make it 31...
  • ereedy61
    ereedy61 Posts: 15
    Options
    Loved your post..inspiring!! Thank you! :)
  • HeatherFP13
    HeatherFP13 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Great job! Thank you for this post...it was just the inspiration I needed :o)
  • SerahLaffere
    SerahLaffere Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming to lose 40-50 in 6 months. So this is a motivator!!
    Wanna look nice for my 21st :)
  • katmont
    katmont Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Squeeee
    Squeeee Posts: 71
    Options
    Great job! Both on your weight loss and the wonderful, practical advice. :flowerforyou:
  • frenchie2727
    frenchie2727 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    45 pounds is incredible!! Thanks for taking the time to post this, I've had to learn lessons the hard way. Especially the timeline, I actually typed a goal weight onto every Friday of my calender for the next 6 weeks. I had to just take the weight numbers off the calender and learn some PATIENCE. I usually start trying to ramp up fitness and diet before an event (usually only about 2 weeks ahead!) then when I realize it's not gonna happen I just eat whatever I want and give up. I have to keep reading your post for the reminder to stay patient and keep at it, thank you.
  • TamekaJ1
    TamekaJ1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Love this article and totally agree with everything....keep up the good work!
  • jerseyjenus
    jerseyjenus Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Great advice. :drinker:
  • cmc6921
    cmc6921 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think losing 45 lbs is great! Congratulations! That's a big win in itself! Although it says I joined more than a year ago, I only recently started tracking diligently, and what a difference it has made! All last year ( without the help of MFP ) I tried so hard to lose, and ended up gaining about 30 lbs...I was so discouraged and frustrated! It took me a while, but I figured out that a medication prescribed by my doctor was causing out of control carb cravings and I operate much better on way fewer carbs. I spoke to the doctor and was taken off of that medication, and since have become very diligent to the point of addiction, of tracking every little thing I am eating, down to a piece or two of hard candy....

So far I've lost 7 over the past few weeks since I began this journey, and yours inspires me. So thanks for that! I have learned, like you, that even though I might ocassionally want to enjoy myself a little more than I should, tomorrow is always a new day and I can start fresh back on track. I am trying to increase my amount of exercise, but frankly, I'm suprised at myself that I am getting at least 3 days a week in already, and I look forward to working up to 6 days, and adding several minutes a day.

My biggest goal is to lose and have it stay gone, even if it takes a long time to get there, I am committed. Keep on going! You're doing great!

Thanks for your story!:happy:
  • supermoo2
    supermoo2 Posts: 77
    Options
    Very wise words
  • Fat_Lenny
    Fat_Lenny Posts: 38
    Options
    Bumping this. Very wise indeed, and best of all, totally realistic! I'm of a similar mindset, don't deny yourself and make small changes that will make a difference in the long term. If I have a 'bad' food day, I try not to stress about it and have a clean slate the next day to do things better. (So many cliches in my post, lol.) Adding you as a friend OP, we could all use this kind of motivation! :happy:
  • caddygarcia123
    caddygarcia123 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bumping for later read!
  • Barkley87
    Barkley87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    What a great post. Has made me feel better about things after being completely discouraged by not losing anything in a week.
  • Cristin129
    Cristin129 Posts: 49
    Options
    Thanks for this post. Just what I needed to read today! :)
  • stephaniepullen
    stephaniepullen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great advice! Thanks! I needed this.
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    UPDATE:

Today is Day 200. I'm now down 50.2 pounds - nearly halfway to my goal.

I've read a number of posts lately from new people on these forums, and it got me thinking about my own struggles early on.

#9 - ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING.

It's easy to have a positive attitude when you're making progress towards your goal - each victory motivates you to keep on working towards the next one. But when you're just starting out, or when you're stuck at a plateau, it's a lot harder. It's especially difficult when you're just starting out - you're still mourning the loss of the old, familiar habits, and haven't had time for the new ones to take hold yet. The lifestyle changes may seem like a burden at first, but keep telling yourself that it gets easier (because it does). Remind yourself of all the positive reasons you're doing this. Find supportive people (both here and in real life) to encourage you, and offer encouragement in return. Ignore the negative comments (unless you're the type of person who finds motivation in them).

Thanks to all who have responded to my random ramblings.
  • mojosister
    mojosister Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful - and just what I needed!

Thank you for sharing!
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    Great loss your doing great :drinker:
  • Bullygirl30
    Bullygirl30 Posts: 82
    Options
    Bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!