Eating too few calories???

Options
13»

Replies

• gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Or... DO listen to what MFP says - eat your 1230 PLUS the calories you burn exercising. This will give you a much more realistic calorie intake.

Don't get stuck in the idea that you have to starve to lose weight.
    Your body needs energy - and energy = calories.
    If you don't give it enough nutrition, you won't have enough bounce to enjoy life.

This is correct. MFP expects that you eat back your calories. Mine also had me set at 1200. After eating back my calories, I eat about 1700-2000 (or more, depending). I did the 1200-1300 total (no eating back calories) and guess what happened? I stopped losing weight, even though I still have about 65 to lose. Started eating them all back (even a bit more if it went over and was close) and now I'm back on track.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Nuts and seeds are great snack items that level the blood sugar levels out and are good for the body. Especialy if you learn to love them raw. Almonds and sunflower seeds are my favorite.
    I also snack on avocado and whole grain crackers.
    I like a little of the salt too so I got 100 calorie packs from costco that have baked chips, cheezies, and flavored popcorn.
    i enjoy adding to my daily calories with exercise. That way I can sprinkle grated cheese on my veggies.
    Enjoy your earnings.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Cheerios and they come in all kinds of flavors now. You get about 100 to 110 cal per 3/4 cup.

I like the peanut butter and caramel ones myself.

Where can I find this awesomeness you speak of?
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Atkins makes wonderful protein bars. also Pure Protein does too! They are my CANDY. I'm diabetic so I have to be careful and these bars do the trick. The Atkins Coconut Chocolate Bar is EXACTLY LIKE A MOUNDS BAR. Their peanut caramel nougat has tons of protein and 9 grams of fiber.

Can't go wrong with these grab and go snacks.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm under, I have a few pieces of cheese (mmm... sharp cheddar) or a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter. Sometimes I treat myself to two spoonfuls of Ben & Jerry's (approx. 70 calories, depending on the flavor). That's the only snacky-sugary thing I eat, so I don't feel bad.

If I'm under by 200-300, which often happens on days I exercise, I eat a banana with peanut butter and drink a glass of milk. It's a yummy bedtime snack.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if it's a mental thing of wanting feel like you're undrr your calorie goal, then why not increase your goal to 1500 and that way you can eat the 1200 and still be under your goal.

i think lots of times peopl hold themselves back from eating because they know they have that low celiing to try to avoid
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    it only tells u your eating to few if u eat under 1200 calories. i figured out that's the only time it will tell u.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I read that you should eat about 7 calories for every pound on your body.

So, for me I weigh about 195 * 7 = 1365

I set that as my calorie goal, and eat back most of my exercise calories. It seems to be working for me so far! I don't know if it will work for everyone though (especially if you are really skinny) but it's a nice number to start with.

That's probably not a good one-size-fits-all math equation. I'd only be eating 882 calories. And I'm not "really skinny." I'm just short, and in the healthy weight range for my height.

Yep, me too. I'd only get 805 calories. :laugh: I like my 1700 calories.
  • HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    I REALLY HAVE NO IDEA WHERE U HEARD OR READ 7 CALS PER LB OF BODY WEIGHT. IM A NUTRITIONIST & THERE IS NO SCIENTIFIC FACT OF DAT. I WEIGH 133 & IF I ATE7 LBS PER MY BODY WEIGHT I WUD ONLY B EATING 931 CALS.
    FIRST OF ALL ANY ONE PERSON SHUD NEVER B BELOW 1200 CALS A DAY REGARDLESS
    MY BMR IS 1390. DATZ WAT I SHUD B EATING EVEN IF I LAYED AROUND ALL DAY & DID NOTHING.
    PLUS @ UR WEIGHT U SHUD B EATING WAY MORE THAN 1365 CALS.
    LIKE U SAID IT MAY B WORKIN FOR U BT DAT EQUATION IS TOTALLY FALSE
    GOOD LUCK 2 U THO!!!
  • sharkura
    sharkura Posts: 7
    Options
    Your target intake should be dynamic ... starting with MFP's recommendation, minus calories burned during exercise, plus food intake as logged.

If you log your exercise with MFP, it will make the calculations for you. Better yet, get a web-enabled pedometer like fitbit, which can be linked to MFP so that both mfp.com and fitbit.com automatically adjust your target caloric intake based on exercise detected by the fitbit (optimized for walking and running, but can be used to log other exercises).

As for snacks, small protein rich snacks (trail mix type stuff) taken every two hours will prevent tiredness.

Best luck.

¦{Þ
  • mmmyotwnz
    mmmyotwnz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This is what someone told me. I have no idea how much you need to loose, but it takes about 1900 calories for your body to work. That means to keep your heart pumping, your brain firing, plus keep the blood running to all of your organs...only.

You should find your BMR and know what it takes to keep it going. There is the calculator here or you can also use this formula:
    Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x Weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x Height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x Age in years ).

Now I was struggling to eat enough, I still am and my weight is now bouncing all around. I lost 15 pounds in a few weeks and then everything stopped cold. And even though I was exercising and eating very well and very under my caloric needs for the day, I was gaining weight. I am stunned by this still. I found out that even though I was eating 1,300 and when I subtracted what I exercised, I was netting 900 calories. Even if I have 100 to loose, I was eating whole fruits and veggies, healthy low carb smoothies with soy milk and wasn't really hungry at all, every morning I get up I was up another pound. I am up by 5 now and feeling like a huge, really bad failure.

A person here sent me to this site, she said add all of the numbers in and then on the step 6 click on the reduce by 15% option.... (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/)
    I did it and instead of my max at 1930 I am supposed to be consuming 2200-2300 calories. The total opposite of what I think I am 'supposed' to be doing. I am way under this amount now, and I didn't think it would be so hard. I have some freedom to play with calories now instead of being so paranoid of eating the wrong thing. But the reality is I have put myself back into starvation mode with out me even realizing...gah. I have to eat more calories even if I feel like not eating or sick to my stomach about eating some more, it is something I have to overcome.

Grab some sunflower butter, or almond butter at a local health food store.(Trader Joes or Whole Foods) and add it to whole grain crackers or an apple. Or and apple with a couple of slices of a good cheese. Try Odwalla or Naked drinks for added nutrients and to add some calories. Pasta will do it every single time... a good healthy sauce with some parmesan and you are so there.

Good Luck.