People who can't help themselves

Options

Replies

• Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    and it could have been for 2 people to share!! Opinions are not required unless asked for. I suspect someone keeps commenting on her food & so she thinks everyone can do it........
    You know yourself better than that. Ignore & move on!
  • beautifulbrat
    beautifulbrat Posts: 171
    Options
    That happened to me once. I had a frozen pizza, a bottle of wine, and big bar of chocolate (this of course was before MFP), and the cashier made a similar comment... "are you going to eat all that?" I just looked at her like.. WTF business is that of yours? Totally pissed me off. Don't let it derail you though.. "I see stupid people"

i've had people come through my line with that and i just say it looks like you're gonna have a good night or ask them what the wine is like, since i dont drink a whole lot
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    ".....right in the face....that's where it's goin" would be my first initial thought \m/
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    killed-you-3-times.jpg

lol
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I think it was more likely that she looked at you and how in shape you are and was surprised at the weight of the food in your box. I really don't think she meant any harm. Probably blurted it out without thinking.

This was my thought!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    "I see stupid people"

Haha... Turns out I was dead the whole time!!
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yep, people are rude sometimes. My recovery made me strong. I would have probably said "do you practice being this rude or does it just come naturally?".
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I was a grocery cashier. I tried very hard not to comment on what people were buying, unless it was obviously on sale or non-food related. Example: cat litter was on sale, these 10lb containers of it. So when people would come through with like, 6 of them, I'd joke "stocking up, eh?" Hopefully non-offensive.

However, I didn't care to make small talk about the quanitity of food people bought, unless they brought it up. Some people would automatically justify their 3 carts full - "I'm throwing a dinner party!" "I'm a Girl Guide leader, these are for a camping trip!" I always just smiled and said "that's great" even though I really don't care if you consume $400 of groceries in a week.

Anyway, I think my point is that, having done the job, I don't get how people even care enough to make a comment about someone else's purchases.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Huh you are in a grocery store what else would you buy but food? Most of us dont run there daily, well at least I dont. I buy for my family and if I am buying preapred food I am buying for more than likely lunch the next day as well. The only thing a cashier has ever said to me. With me cart over flowing... "Will this be food stamps today" I said "I WISH" this 300 $ comes from my pocket. I'll be gald to have some food stamps, give me a break for a change. LOL
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yeah I realize that she is ignorant and it shouldn't bother me, but none of us are completely invulnerable to other peoples' comments and even though we know we should shrug it off, it's hard not to take it to heart. Little comments like that as MJ says are tiny pushes toward an ED. They add up. I'm not going to blame anyone else for my ED but I wasn't confident and secure enough to let people's remarks bounce off of me, and it fed my self-doubt. Making comments about peoples' food is so unnecessary, especially when you should be proffessional about someone's groceries. I really wanted to punch her in the face for that.

ED's start from little comments from different people taht build up over time and affect our body image. we don't always know what started an ED but we know what contributed to it. so yes, i will never blame anyone else for my past ED,but i will say taht if our society was less focused on commenting on each others food and how it's "too much" or "too little" there would probably be less people with EDs. i know mine was a result of feeling controlled by my family, but those comments don't help. sure she probably didn't mean anythign malicious by it. but it still was hurtful to OP so it was hurtful... our feelings are our feelings. i've never liked when people try to convince someone else to not feel their feelings. it leads to bad things. feel your feelings, express them, and be heard... and there would be less problems if we all did that.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    People are idiots.

I would say about 80% of the time that I go grocery shopping, the cashier makes a comment about what I buy. I've gotten "wow this is a lot of really healthy food, but you don't look like you need to go on diet!" or "Do you eat like that all the time? Your whole family? I don't see how you can even stay full eating all those vegetables and stuff" or my personal favorite (when I had my 5 year old with me) "I bet he doesn't like any of this stuff! Why don't you add some ice cream or some cookies in there!"

That last one pissed me off. 1. Because of course, then I have a 5 year old saying "Mommy can I have ice cream? Mommy can I have cookies??" the entire car ride home, and 2. because NOBODY should be judged for feeding their child nutritious foods.

Instead of saying what I wanted to say (which would've been "because I actually care about my child's health") I said "We picked out all kinds of fruit together, his favorite are strawberries and bananas, so we got lots of those!" Her response was kind of a "Ohh ok..well...maybe next time..." because she just didn't know how else to react probably.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    ...From making comments

A few weeks ago I was at Whole Foods picking up some dinner to go, after a workout. I handed my closed box of food to the cashier who weighs it and says "wow you must be REALLY hungry! That's a ton of food!"
    I ask, "Are you really making a judgment about how much I'm eating?"
    She says, "I guess so, yeah?"
    I say, "Okay, thanks for the comment"

If she had looked inside, she would have seen one chicken breast (with bones) and a bunch of broccoli.

I've been recovered from an ED that I lived with for two years. Within the past couple of months I've been trying to eat a decent amount of food to keep up with my active lifestyle, and it's comments like this that made me want to crawl into a hole and starve myself in the first place.

I hate people.

Congrats on your recovery! Try not to take it to heart, some people are just lame at making conversation! Open mouth insert foot.
  • lizzie82088
    lizzie82088 Posts: 12
    Options
    Shame on our society for continuing to have such a f*cked up attitude regarding food, eating, and bodies. It destroys us especially women.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    ....and people wonder why I'd much rather use the self checkout at the grocery stores.....\m/
  • PughTooFew
    PughTooFew Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've shared conversations with cashiers before that bordered on rude but I just think they were oblivious to the hurt they were causing and didn't mean to say the things they did, most were 'old school' and spoke their minds freely.

The most prominent one I remember was at the end of a long shopping spree with my young boys (aged 2 and 3 at the time) and I'd bought them some weekly treats (as in a week's worth of snacks/desserts - they weren't eating it all at once) and when she commented on it I shrugged it off by politely saying "they're young and active and they eat a varied diet so a little of what they like won't hurt them" to which she asked "is that how you were bought up? because if you're not careful they'll end up like you" - clearly meaning fat - OUCH. Not much I could think of to say back to her after that! :(
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My favorite was the scruffy guy ahead of me at the 7-11 late night, Monster Energy, Duraflame Log and a box of condoms. I thought to myself "Mr. Romance" , but kept my mouth shut, until I got home
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    My favorite was the scruffy guy ahead of me at the 7-11 late night, Monster Energy, Duraflame Log and a box of condoms. I thought to myself "Mr. Romance" , but kept my mouth shut, until I got home

That log may be for a very different purpose... D:
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yeah I realize that she is ignorant and it shouldn't bother me, but none of us are completely invulnerable to other peoples' comments and even though we know we should shrug it off, it's hard not to take it to heart. Little comments like that as MJ says are tiny pushes toward an ED. They add up. I'm not going to blame anyone else for my ED but I wasn't confident and secure enough to let people's remarks bounce off of me, and it fed my self-doubt. Making comments about peoples' food is so unnecessary, especially when you should be proffessional about someone's groceries. I really wanted to punch her in the face for that.

Some day, perhaps, in the future, a person will make a careless, ignorant comment like that and you will recognize it as such... but it will slide off. You will be able to say to yourself, "wow, that was a careless, thoughtless remark." Your heart will be strong and as you leave, your thoughts will go elsewhere and by the time you are eating your food, the person and the bad remark will be gone.
    That would be true healing from the ED, and the roots of it.
    I know that is not where you are right now, and yes, that lady had very poor judgement. I am sorry that happened to you.
    Peace~
  • mtkautz
    mtkautz Posts: 218 Member
    Options

That log may be for a very different purpose... D:

:huh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Now... THAT could get awkward... fast!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    One thing that therapy helped me with was to what is said vs what I hear.

She said it was heavy and you interpreted things with your own filter. We all do it is human nature.