Bikram Yoga... hot or not!!

Options
2»

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Bikram yoga is a huge part of my life, especially since I'm a runner and need that extra oompf the heat gives to help loosen my muscles and stretch!
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I tried it once and fainted after about five minutes haha. Not for me!
  • ericachristie85
    ericachristie85 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love hot yoga, I have only practiced Moksha. I have heard that Bikram is better for athletic training and possible what I'll try next because I have bad wrists and Moksha much like Vinyasa has a lot more wrist strength requirements . If cost is an issue I know that yoga comes up on Groupon and other coupon sites on my area all the time.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I love Bikram Yoga. I ran 13.1 miles this week and I need to loosen up my muscles so I think I am going tomorrow, then get a massage afterwards so I can prepare for my 16 mile walk this coming weekend. Go Bikram.
  • pinto_bean
    pinto_bean Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Love Love Love! I've been doing Bikram Yoga on and off since 2006 and I absolutely adore it. I feel incomplete when I haven't been to class in a while.

I've done Heated Vinyasa as well, which I also love, but with Bikram you do the same 26 asanas and 2 breathing exercises every time. There are no surprises, and yet somehow every class is different. Your body is the only variable. It's a great way to track your progress.

Edited because I forgot to mention that when I'm doing Bikram regulary (for me, 2 or 3 classes a week), my body drops the bloat quite easily, I find myself craving foods that are better for me, and I get down to a healthier weight without even thinking about it.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I love it, but I don't go as often as I would like. That said, there's no magic to pounds melting off or anything. Drink lots of water, bring a towel for your car seat afterwards and be prepared to sometimes just lie down and chill on your mat.
  • laurad1978
    laurad1978 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Bikram Yoga about 3/4 times a week and loved it. Defiantly helped loosing weight and overall toning, although I think this was in part because it took up so much of my evening there was little opportunity to snack in the evenings :-)

I however found it really difficult to stay hydrated, I was drinking 3lt of water a day and also tried using re-hydration salts. I stopped going when there was a noticeable increase in the amount of lines around my eyes – these went when I stopped going. Did anyone else have this issue and if so how did you overcome it? I tried using different moisturisers and increasing water intake but nothing helped. I love to go back but would be fearful I would end up looking 20 years older after 90 mins yoga.

Laura
  • carmelamturner
    Options
    all the forms of Yoga one very famous is ‘Bikram Yoga’ Bikram or Hot Yoga as popularly known in US was introduced by Bikram Choudhury. Unlike other forms this form is not very age old. It was found towards the end of 20th century. He is an instructor in India. He taught this exercise to around 3 million aspiring students and later the American Medical Association asked him to bring this concept there in America. It is known as Hot Yoga because the postures in this form of exercise is practiced in a heated room. It basically rejuvenates and strengthens the entire body and mind. This form of exercise has around 26 poses that are a perfect work out for the entire body in just 90 minutes. The poses involved in this form of exercise create a balance in your body. Using strength, gravity and tourniquet technique, this form of exercise builds up stamina, flexibility and energy in your body.
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I see this is an older topic, but i just had my first bikram class yesterday!!!

i wore my heart rate monitor, and i burned 822 cals! and i was resting through some of the poses!

i do the bikram postures with my community college yoga class, so i was familiar with everything, just never done it in the heated room... after the back bend i got super light headed, dizzy, thought i was going to throw up, i stepped out for a few minutes, felt better, and then went back in and finished the class! I was so happy i stuck it out! i can't wait to go back!!

i got a groupon 20 for 20 classes!! i couldn't believe it!