Any females who can do a pull up(s)

Options
I would love to hear success stories to motivate me to completing one :)

Replies

• reppinplates
    reppinplates Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend couldn't even budge one a little bit when I started training her, she can now do 5+!
    She was so happy when she got her first one.

Awesome strength training exercise. Work your way up on the lat pulldown machine at gym or the assisted pull up and you'll complete one in no time!
  • Strawberry_1
    Strawberry_1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I can do two!!!
  • vthetigercat
    Options
    Back in January I couldn't do any, now I can do 10! Then break and do another set, heck yeah. I started on the assisted pull-up machine, the one that displaces your body weight, as well as lat pulldowns. I also do a few different rowing exercises, as a well-rounded back will give you the most power.

Another big thing for me was getting enough confidence to actually do it. Rock climbing really helped with that, as well as strengthening my grip strength. I'd also recommend wearing gloves when you practice pull-ups, as the blistering on your palms can be really discouraging in getting up.
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    This has been my goal all my life because I have never been able to even hold myself up there. I am not sure if I can do one yet, but I might try today at the gym. I can hold myself up on the silks now though...that was a momentous occasion. :)
  • rjams
    rjams Posts: 48
    Options
    So great to see some girls doing it! I have been trying for 3 weeks now training on resistance bands and I can really see progress already! I really hope that I can muster one (or more!) by the end of the summer!!
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i've never been able to do a pull up in my life, but I am getting closer by training on the assisted pull up machine. Hopefully I get there soon!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    It suddenly occurred to me that I have not tried since my arms have become ripped...I'll add this to the to-do list for the gym on Tuesday!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    this is one of my goals!!!!!

nowhere near completion, barely attempted... but I've never done one in my entire life, so the day I do is going to be amaaaazing
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    This is definitely one of my goals. My trainer had me try pull ups last week but I wasnt able to do them. We are going to try again in another month. Meanwhile we are working on strength training and weights.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Here is a series of exercises that work you up to pull ups.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I can do 3 chin ups (palms facing inwards, and closer grip) Lat pull downs helped LOADS. I can't do any proper pull ups (yet!)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm up to 20 unassisted pull ups. P90X and P90X2! It's taken me over 2 years and I couldn't do one when I started.
  • anastasiaBH
    anastasiaBH Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Four years off & on of P90X and I still needed a chair. Within 2 months after I started lifting (NROLFW), I could do 2 chin ups.
    Today, I'm up to 5-6 chin ups, 4-5 pull ups.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    start with jumping pull ups or use a resistance band. this will help. also, ring rows are a good place to start.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I wish! Someday hopefully ♥
  • Andrea681
    Andrea681 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I can! When I started I could barely do 1. Now I do 3 sets of 15! The key is to just keep trying!
  • ConnieB1979
    ConnieB1979 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I can finally do TWO!!!!! Yes (2)....It has taken forever it seems and Im incredibly proud of that so cheers for two!:blushing:
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I can do 3-5 depending on if i've worked my arms already that day. but lift heavier weights when weight training.. and do pushups. keep attempting to do them too.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    YES!

I had NEVER done one until february. I have a video of me struggling to do one in january.

This is what I did. I got one of those bars that you put in your doorway. I put it low enough that I could jump up to it and hang. I'd do the hanging thing like multiple times daily (I put it in my kitchen door and every time i passed I would do one). Then I started lowering my face just below the bar and back up. I'd do like 3 everytime I walked past. When that worked out, i raised the bar and would try to drop myself lower. Littel baby steps!

Then I would just try to do a full chin up. Just keep trying. Keep pulling. and keep doing the mini pull ups too, just to keep your strength you have built.

I think it was around the time that I started lifting weights that the chin up started to happen. Now I can do full pull ups too! It's fab. Just keep trying. Don't give up!

Note: I think losing 50 lbs helped too. I started when I was 174 lbs, and now I do full chin ups at 125 lbs. BIG difference there!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I can do chin-ups. Not regular pullups yet, but I'll get there!

Negatives, inverted rows, lat pull-downs - those are how I got strong enough to do them. Other people use different ways. I'm not an expert, though, so hopefully you'll get other feedback, too.