What do you tell people...

Options

Replies

• pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I would say something along the lines of, "why do you ask?" That way they can hear themselves explain how their question is rude, or you might find out they're genuinely curious. (This is great with all kinds of invasive/passive aggressive questions! "Did you breastfeed? Did you have a natural birth? How can you leave your baby at day care?? Why did you stop working just because you had a baby? How much did your car/house/ring cost?")
  • Forthe4
    Forthe4 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had lunch recently with a group of guys from a different division in my agency that I hadn't eaten with lately. They were used to seeing me eat subs, burgers, sandwiches, etc. When the waiter brought out my salad, they all just sat quietly for a second and watched my reaction. One guy said, "you want me to dump some of my chili on it so at least you have some flavor?". Another said, "Did they get your order wrong?" (I ordered before they got there but told them to bring it out when the others got their food).

I just laughed and said, "I'm trying to get in touch with my inner rabbit. I want to be able to do more of the things that rabbits do, running, jumping, and well....you know...."

Of course I still get the tired old, "That isn't food. That's what food eats." But its all in good fun and not worth stressing over.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    "Because it's delicious!"
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    My friends are generally supportive, so that is not an issue for me. My issue is with my in laws. My MIL and my husbands grandmother connect eating with emotions.

If we come to visit there are cakes, cookies, fried foods, casseroles, everything they can think of that they think might make us happy. I try to explain that things like that don't make me happy, I enjoy getting to see them spend time with their grandson, I enjoy talking with them.. I could care less how many "treats" and huge meals they've planned for us.

Especially with my MIL having diabetes, we plead with her not to stock her house with sugary treat just becuase she knows we're coming.. we know that she'll end up eating some, and its dangerous for her.

But it's all emotional for them.. if we don't want to eat it there.. we MUST take it home with us.. if we don't want it.. "What's wrong with it, don't you like it? I made it for you..." "You have to eat more than THAT, you'll starve" , "You need to take this home for (husband), you're not feeding him enough" .. Almost like we are rejecting THEM because we don't want the food.

I just have to try to be as nice as possible about it. I'm not like their 2 kids (and neither is my SIL's husband) we aren't tall and thin no matter what or how much we eat.. we have to be more careful. And I don't want my son to become hooked on tons of sweets. They'll eventually back down.. but it all starts over at the beginning of the next visit..
  • Jamie2007
    Jamie2007 Posts: 169
    Options
    "Obesessed" is just a word lazy people use for the dedicated. If your friends are that rude, they are either jealous, or just jers, so I'd drop them.

Well said!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Huh. Nobody comments on what I eat. My friends must be awesome or something.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Obviously, jealous saboteurs. DO NOT let them have access to your food before you eat it. If you get up to go to the bathroom, take your plate with you. They might try to toss some obesogens in there.
  • Shawn8216
    Shawn8216 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have this problem currently because for about 3 years, I deprived myself in an unhealthy manner. However, I've gone from depriving myself to allowing myself to eat whatever. With that said, I was a little too kind of allowing myself to eat and now have about an extra 8-10 pds on myself that I'd like to lose the right way.

Now that I'm working on eating healthy, portioning correctly, & exercising in moderation, people worry for me if they feel I am not eating enough according to what they believe I should eat. Anymore, I just answer that "I know what my body wants right now and this is all it can handle" Although it is out of concern, it can be annoying because then it can pressure me into eating more to make sure I keep them happy and disregard my own feelings.

I think it definitely comes from being strong within and not letting people run your life as if they're running the remote control on a tv and change what they want to see. I know what I want to eat and learning to not listen if they challenge me into a piece of cake because "it won't hurt yo." But it can hinder you if you honestly do not want it. If you do, spurlge, but let it be because YOU WANT TO DO IT, not because you feel pressured.

- shawn *
  • to_the_surface
    Options
    Depends, if the comment is made from people close to you, that perhaps in the not so distant past witnessed your "different" eating habits, i can see why a too drastic a change too soon might be a little of a concern.
    On the other hand, if the comment comes from a stranger, then don't even bother turning into a discussion. A courteous smile with a tight lipped face would be enough to shift the conversation to another topic. You won't convince them, they won't convince you, so why bother.
  • Grissay
    Grissay Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Let them know it bothers you! That you find it as offensive as they would if you said they couldn't afford to eat a slice of bread. hahah!
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You know, I actually have not had this problem. My friends have been very supportive of me on this journey. A couple of them actually help me find healthy food to eat at restaurants, etc, and they are always good about me boycotting some eating establishments (fast food or some places that will be impossible to eat healthy at). They can all apreciate that my healthy eating habits and requirements actually benefit them, as well.

The hardest part about this is my alcohol intake. I get more flack for not drinking as much as I did before I got serious about losing weight, a decision that is purely about calorie intake. At the end of the night, though, they are still appreciative that there's someone sober to drive their broke butts home, though.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Since deciding to turn my life around last year, im now wishing i would have done it back in my late teens, however my daughter who was carrying a bit of weight at 14 yrs has seen my progress and off her own back she has lost weight by healthy eating shes now 15 yrs and is blooming in to a young woman

My gripe...............Aimee (thats my daughter) goes to her grandmothers once a week for dinner (my mother in law) MIL knows that Aimee is healthy eating and fair play she makes salad or pasta for her which is good but then she goes in to the cupboard and brings out chocolate cake or chocolate biscuits telling Aimee "have some, cause im having some"

I honestly have to bite my tongue when MIL does this as she then offers her the cake about 6 -7 times even though shes declined each time :explode: :mad: Rant over

Oh gravy I am in the same boat, grandma feeds my girls crap,and she is by the grace of god a teeny weeny lady. Has no clue about health or metabolism or anything.... and doesn't understand that the girls have my genes and I really don't want to take any chances of them learning that junk and all the stuff I never learned obviously...isn't ok.
    She is my ex mother in law, and she is always right, and I have no clue what I'm talking about.

I can only preach to my girls. They are young, I don't want them to be teased in school. Best of luck to you too.
  • russeljames
    russeljames Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i tell them to fk off
  • cjmas
    cjmas Posts: 63
    Options
    I love the idea of "because it's delicious, why do you ask?" as a response! You're affirming your choice and making them consider why they'd ask/care you about your dietary choices.

I don't think it's particularly helpful (to anyone) if you give a snarky or smug reply... but that's just my opinion. I know it can be tempting if someone is always bugging you, but making someone else feel bad rarely makes me feel good.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel the need to tell them anything? Do they control your choices or something?

"Because this is what I ordered. I hope you enjoy your meal as much as I'm looking forward to mine."
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Huh. Nobody comments on what I eat. My friends must be awesome or something.

This is exactly what I was thinking! Why would anyone care what anyone else is eating?? Obviously from the comments I've determined apparently many people do care what other people eat. Who knew? *shrug*
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I just laughed and said, "I'm trying to get in touch with my inner rabbit. I want to be able to do more of the things that rabbits do, running, jumping, and well....you know...."

Best. Comeback. Ever. I'm going to keep this one in mind. :)
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Honestly no one really comments on my food choices or ordering a house salad at a restaraunt...proof is in the pudding.....what can they say???? Youre too fit thin and healthy....stop ordering that?!?!

Although I have had two seperate (heavier)women tell me that salads are just as bad as a cheeseburger...which I politely replied both times "does it look like I have a problem overeating salad?"

Shut them up real quick.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    The only person who I have had make comments like that was my husband. He was trying to be supportive and keep me from "overdoing it," because, according to him, I have a tendency to overdo things and then burn out. Because of his comments, I backed off on tracking my calories for a while. When I did that, I noticed that I started feeling like CRAP physically. I realized that when I wasn't tracking, I wasn't making sure that I was getting enough nutrients from my food, and it was making me feel tired and sick. So finally I explained to my husband that I really DO need to track every bite, and make every bite count, because I don't have enough room in my diet for a bunch of empty calories. I mean, I still eat foods just because they taste good -- in moderation -- but it's important to make SURE I am getting enough vitamins and minerals.

He also made comments about me drinking water when we went out, until I explained that, because I have gotten used to drinking water, it actually TASTES better than soda to me. I CRAVE water now. Once he understood that I wasn't doing it to torture myself, but that I really, really, honestly wanted water, he left it alone.
  • Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Definitely a jealousy thing. Normally I say, well I don't look this way naturally, I look like this by not eating desserts and bread all the time. Unfortunately I actually have to WORK HARD and live a healthy lifestyle for it! If they still don't understand that, ignore them and bask in glory of being healthy and fit!!!