How to survive on 40-50 dollars per month on food.

Options

Replies

• littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    buMP
  • fromfattofine
    fromfattofine Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I wish I could live off of $50 monthly for groceries but I can't. Grocery costs are high and plus I have a teenage son in the house, but if you can and have no one else in the home with you, then good luck with that.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I like corn beans and rice, with different spices and toppings on it.
    canned or frozen corn, canned beans, and bulk rice go pretty cheap in the US, and it doesn't take too much to fill you up! My favorite is to add a little hummus or a small pat of butter and a little red pepper flakes.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I wish I could live off of $50 monthly for groceries but I can't. Grocery costs are high and plus I have a teenage son in the house, but if you can and have no one else in the home with you, then good luck with that.

LOL, and I wish I had more than $100 a week for all of my bills and necessities, but that's just not going to happen. Some of us don't actually have a choice in how much we spend, because IT'S ALL WE HAVE.

To the OP: rice, beans, cabbage, potatoes. Also, invest in some garlic and add a clove or two when cooking these to keep stuff from being too bland. Don't chop it up, though. Just peel it, then crush it once with the side of your knife (or your hand) and toss it in. It retains more flavor, that way.
  • cheerocracy
    cheerocracy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    sounds like my kind of thread lmao
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    See if bountifulbasket.org is available in your area. 15 dollars for a huge amount of veggies in a trucked in co op.
  • amazing_shrinking_woman
    Options
    bump
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If you go to the local farmers market late in the day..they will practicaly give you produce...
  • blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Options
    bump
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    To save money on fresh produce try going to a farmer's market! You can buy a TON of produce for super cheap.

If it is only available on a certain date, for a certain time. then go towards the end, most of the vendors will give you a deal, if you ask, rather than pack up their wares and bring it back home.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    To save money on fresh produce try going to a farmer's market! You can buy a TON of produce for super cheap.

I second this! I love the farmers market!!! I cannot imagine spending 50 a month on groceries! I spend about 800 for our family! Sickening isn't it! Also, beans and lentils go a long way. Good Luck!
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options

Really? Our farmers market is a lot more expensive than any grocery store.
  • debstanley4
    debstanley4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    bump
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    If you have storage space available, it can work out much more cheaply to bulk buy dry and canned items/ingredients from a caterers' store or similar. You may have to pay a small joining fee, but the price/lb is usually much, much lower than in a supermarket.

Also, frozen fruit & vegetables are often cheaper than fresh and work well for cooking, though it seems that may not be your problem in CA!

I'm sure others have already mentioned this, but making things from scratch is almost always more cost-effective (and better for the waistline).

Slow-cooked meats (so you can use cheaper cuts) and beans/pulses are also cost-effective, in general - look at recipes from France, Italy and the Middle East.

Making your own bread can also be inexpensive - a foccaccia recipe is simple to make (no breadmaker required!), and you end up eating less of it, I find, as the loaf is thinner. You could also look into bulk buying and preserving fruits and veg in season, to eat later in the year.
    Good luck! Even a reasonably frugal shop for two people in the UK is hard to bring in at under £50 a week... Food costs are skyrocketing.
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tansygreen
    tansygreen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Seems like you've got the right idea already. Cooking everything form scratch is a lot cheaper, and when you use pulses always use the dried ones, they go so much further than tinned ones. It can sometimes cost more at first, but if you are buying loads of veggies and spices and whatever, then making several dishes, and freezing some, it starts to get cheaper, and take up less of your time after a week or two.

Personally I spend WAY less on food if I make a mealplan, for at least a weeks meals (most of the meals you can make double and freeze) then AFTER the mealplan make a shopping list and you should have very little waste. The following week you can do the same, and dip into the frozen meals, whilst getting some more frozen meals in, and so on.

You can do it, it is amazing how much you can cut back when you really need to. I have been doing this for a few weeks now and I could probably live out of my freezer for a week if I had to. Good luck, $50 is achievable!
  • Suzieb353
    Suzieb353 Posts: 1
    Options
    lentils rock as a staple - curry them with a daal recipe. Tins of tomatoes - best tomato sauce recipe given to me by a boyfriend from Venice. Tin of tomatoes, saucepan, boil seasoned tomatoes until reduced enough to take a spoon through them and a track is left where you can see the pan bottom. Mash roughly with a potato masher. Add garlic, chilli, basil, herbs, soft cheese (creamy sauce). Can add a dash of olive oil to loosen and glaze. From his Mama, with love.

And never waste a veggie - make soup.
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    check out exstream couponing on youtube it is so cool how people with the time and the mind to do it can really save. Me, I don't have the kind of mind it takes for it to keep it all organized and to put all the deals together . My sister does and really saves big time and says she wishes she was on t this when her boys were small say they would have never went without anything :happy:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I don't have a tremendous amount to add, but as mentioned already I'd like to throw my hat in for freezing.

Since produce at farmer's markets is as cheap for you as it is, make up stews/chilis/soups for a month ahead of time and freeze it. I know you mentioned eating mostly vegetarian, but if you want to add meat buy the whole chicken/turkey for cooking rather than piecemeal to save some cash as well.

With your budget, bulk is almost definitely the way to go.