How to survive on 40-50 dollars per month on food.

Options

Replies

• californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I eat $40.00 in Chicken a month alone. I wish I could be that frugal.

Grocery bill pushes $500 some months no doubt.

Thats why I'm going veggie!!! I'm glad I'm a girl, we tend to not eat as much as men haha.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I'm blessed with a wife that takes the Sunday newspaper ads, as well as the junk mail, and sits down to build the shopping list around what is on sale in area stores. Then, we take the list to Walmart for price-matching. We get all of the great deals without having to drive around town.

Do your homework and plan. It's worth it.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I understand...I had to forgo going to the grocery store for about a month and a half to two months...I had actually cleared out my frige no food except condiments on the sides. I had plenty cans and beans and grains that was it but guess what better then nothing!
    I say what saves also is if you buy tofu or any veggies and make a soup make plenty and eat off for a week!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Thats why I'm going veggie!!! I'm glad I'm a girl, we tend to not eat as much as men haha.

I eat 40$ in fruits and vegetables a week...
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Fat free evaporated milk can be good for cooking.. that way you only use fresh milk for drinking/cereal.

In college I used to buy a 5 pack of Lender's wheat bagels, peanut butter (jar would last 3 weeks), bananas, about 3 cans of tuna (I kept pickle relish and light mayo... lasted more than a month), a block of sharp cheddar cheese, and either a bag of apples or canned fruit.
    I could make breakfast and lunch from that for a week. 1/2 bagel with peanut butter and a banana for breakfast, 1/2 bagel with melted cheese, topped with tuna salad (about 1/2 can worth of tuna) for lunch with an apple or canned fruit.

At the time, I worked in a restaurant so I often ate there for dinner, or I made cheap dinners.... big pots of homemade chili (heavy on the beans, light on the beef!), chicken cacciatore (chicken thighs, cooked with "Italian Seasoning," onion, garlic and green peppers -- bought at farmer's markets in the summer, bought frozen in winter), whole wheat pasta, jar of marinara, topped with some of the cheese mentioned above -- I could eat that for days. If I had money to spare I'd have a green salad, if not, a side of frozen broccoli.

When I got tired of those meals, I would vary it with oatmeal for breakfast, or egg salad topped bagel halves, or leftovers/soup for lunch. Sometimes I would buy a loaf of bread, and use the cheddar cheese to make grilled cheese to go with tomato soup, then have peanut butter toast for breakfast, or scrambled eggs and toast...

Maybe not PERFECTLY healthy, but I wasn't hungry, I wasn't eating pizza every day and I was in college! (P.S., this particular time in my life was when I was probably the most fit -- I have been thinner, but not in a healthy way. I worked in the fitness center at school, and worked out several times a week). I ate dinner at home 3-4 days a week, and I remember spending 20 dollars and making it roughly a week eating this way.

50 to 60 a month would be a challenge even to me.... and I CAN get pretty frugal!

My mom used to make what we called "kitchen sink soup" as in "everything but the kitchen sink." She kept a big ziploc bag or tupperware container in the freezer... if we ate dinner and there were just a couple of spoonfulls of corn, green beans, mashed potatoes, ect., left in a bowl, she would put it in the container in the freezer. When it got full, she would try to round it out -- add some carrots or potatoes if necessary, usually add a can of tomato sauce, cook up some for of meat (or, take what was left of a whole chicken, or from a roast, or brown some ground beef... and cook that down)," put it in a big pot...... it makes delicious soup, I SWEAR. It's practically free, just a collection of leftovers. May sound crazy, but it was the BEST soup I ever had... and a little different each time.

My husband LOVES cabbage and sausage, it's super cheap. Buy a turkey keilbasa sausage and a huge head of cabbage, chop the cabbage, put it in a crock pot with some water, top with turkey keilbasa, cook until cabbage is tender. Season. I usually serve it with baked potatoes. If you eat sparingly of the sausage, 2 adults can have HEAPING plates of dinner for 2 days. There is usually leftover cabbage even after that.... so it could stretch more.
  • epdiddlydo
    Options
    There are a lot of good ideas on here, along with some excellent websites:smile:
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    $50 dollars a month!? How is that possible? I pay that much at least a week and I am single.
    $35 - $40 dollars a month just on chicken $12-$15 dollars a month on bananas, chinese cabbage $16 a month, baby spinach $30 a month, other leafy greens and salad stuff $35 a month various condiments extras $25 -$ 35 a month Brown rice $3 a month potatoes $5 tomatoes $15 a month. Almond milk $ 20 -$28

So thats over 200 dollars a month just at the top of my head and I am sure there are things I buy that are not included. Like apples oranges blueberries figs etc.
  • JadeRabbit08
    Options
    i also live in Canada, and I agree, groceries are so expensive here!! I pay about 3.50 for a dozen egg! Milk is 4 bucks for a 2 liter. Isnt that ridiculous??

Very much so!!!

I believe minimum wage is higher in Can. and Aus., though. Minimum wage in my state is 8.00/hour.

Minimum wage here (Australia) is almost $16 an hour for full time and $18.95 if you are casual. If your casual then you get a percent loading on top of that which for a fast food worker equates to a minimum wage of 21.25 an hour. Found an interesting article on American/Australian /NewZealand wage comparisons which really surprised me.
    http://truth-out.org/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=5601:fair-work-fair-pay-lessons-from-australia

I pay extra for eggs as I buy free range and never cage. Most of money seems to go on food as I like to eat as much raw veg as possible which means I dont buy alot of frozen stuff. I am also gluten and diary intolerant so alot of canned goods are out as well as cheap pastas and bread. Hopefully I will get some good ideas from this thread. Sounds like its time to grow some food. How expensive is it to keep chickens (just for the eggs)?
  • californiansun
    Options

I eat 40$ in fruits and vegetables a week...

I used to, but sadly I need to cut back. :(
  • californiansun
    Options
    $50 dollars a month!? How is that possible? I pay that much at least a week and I am single.
    $35 - $40 dollars a month just on chicken $12-$15 dollars a month on bananas, chinese cabbage $16 a month, baby spinach $30 a month, other leafy greens and salad stuff $35 a month various condiments extras $25 -$ 35 a month Brown rice $3 a month potatoes $5 tomatoes $15 a month. Almond milk $ 20 -$28

So thats over 200 dollars a month just at the top of my head and I am sure there are things I buy that are not included. Like apples oranges blueberries figs etc.

Luckily food is cheaper here! I usually spend 100 a month, but losing my job with gas prices is killing me. I have to do this!
  • JadeRabbit08
    Options
    I am so glad its possible for you. Its hard when there isnt income coming in. I am just amazed how cheap food is over there.
  • californiansun
    Options
    I am so glad its possible for you. Its hard when there isnt income coming in. I am just amazed how cheap food is over there.

Yeah, I'm amazed that food is so expensive for you!!! That's unheard of.
  • JadeRabbit08
    Options
    For aussies there is a women doing a blog of feeding her family of four with $120 a week.

http://120dollarsfoodchallenge.com/

I have been checking out the difference between buying chicken at coles and going to a butcher 8.90 kilo for chicken thighs at coles and 5.99 for chicken breast at the butcher. I think its time I changed where I shopped.
    The central market in Adelaide has a amazing range of fresh local produce but I have been shopping at coles for convenience. I can see now that "convenience"is costing me alot by the end of the month.
    I am now searching for a good place in Adelaide for bulk rice. And found a place http://www.gaganisbros.com.au/go/home does alot of bulk food. Anyone else in South Australia have good money saving tips?
  • joreill
    joreill Posts: 4
    Options
    Roux: equal parts flour and oil (or butter) used to make gravies or thicken just about anything. Best done a good non-stick pan. Stir over medium (or lower if your pan is of dubious quality) until starchy smell/taste is gone. Since the proto-roux doesn't have water it easily gets to napalm temperature so be careful tasting it. Cook further for more flavor but less thickening power. Add a cup of stock(or broth or ramen noodle packet...) or two to a pan you just cooked a meat in and then add, carefully, the warm roux until the gravy is a little thinner than you'd like since it will thicken as it warms. Make sure to whisk or mash the roux into the sauce- roux lumps are better than flour gravy lumps but they're both worse than no lumps.

I basically lived off this during my first year of grad school. I stirred in tuna and either peas or broccoli and served it over rice.

What I use is about 2T butter/other fat, 2T flour, 1C milk, scale as desired. After you have made it several times you will be able to add the flour and milk until it 'looks right', but measure at first.

Sounds a lot like bechamel sauce... which is good ;) . There's something about it, really, it's rich without being too heavy. Simple if you have a candy thermometer - you want to get the milk nice and cooked without burning (>180F iirc) and the milk will thicken itself, though the roux adds flavor and thickens it more. I made this for a lasagna and enjoyed the smell through my house for awhile - a mild, rich smell. Add some cheese (parmesan esp.) for added flavor. Again, if you're on a regular diet then this is probably not the right direction but, if you're on a pauper's budget then the fatty foods are probably fine for you.

Another recipe:

(Gringo, slightly pretentious) Refried beans:

Melt a stick of butter or a half cup of oil, again in the best 12"+ non-stick you've got over medium high heat. Garlic and/or onions are traditional but the last time I did this I tried shallots and it turned out well. Add several cloves of garlic to taste and maybe a half chopped onion and cooked until the onion is translucent (making sure to break apart the onion layers while sauteing). Alternately, one large shallot or two smaller ones is what we used to good effect. We used 3 cans of black beans last time. Drain the fluid but reserve (or not -- more later). Add the beans a can at a time and mash. Cook in the oil until pasty, approaching dry, and then add fluid. You cook in oil to develop the flavor in the beans (Maillard Reaction I believe) so take your time-- thick is fine as long as it doesn't burn or go too dry. I like the fluid from the cans or the fluid you used to soak the beans but, supposedly, this is where all the flatulence inducing sugars are so maybe just a little chicken broth/stock. Now, finish seasoning: Use a good paprika - sweet or hot to taste. Paprika is more than food coloring, though you will use more than you'd use of, say, pepper. Add until you can taste it. Use garlic, garlic salt, or none to taste. Salt, pepper, etc. or whatever you like. Cook thin (less time after adding fluid to pan) if for dip/nachos but thicker for burritos.

Work at lower temps, or perhaps more vigorously if you worry about the quality of your pan.
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    bump. compiling a list of these ideas for grad school budget :D
  • JadeRabbit08
    Options
    Is there a group that does healthy budget food recipes and cost saving ideas?
  • hailz840
    hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • californiansun
    Options
    Roux: equal parts flour and oil (or butter) used to make gravies or thicken just about anything. Best done a good non-stick pan. Stir over medium (or lower if your pan is of dubious quality) until starchy smell/taste is gone. Since the proto-roux doesn't have water it easily gets to napalm temperature so be careful tasting it. Cook further for more flavor but less thickening power. Add a cup of stock(or broth or ramen noodle packet...) or two to a pan you just cooked a meat in and then add, carefully, the warm roux until the gravy is a little thinner than you'd like since it will thicken as it warms. Make sure to whisk or mash the roux into the sauce- roux lumps are better than flour gravy lumps but they're both worse than no lumps.

I basically lived off this during my first year of grad school. I stirred in tuna and either peas or broccoli and served it over rice.

What I use is about 2T butter/other fat, 2T flour, 1C milk, scale as desired. After you have made it several times you will be able to add the flour and milk until it 'looks right', but measure at first.

Sounds a lot like bechamel sauce... which is good ;) . There's something about it, really, it's rich without being too heavy. Simple if you have a candy thermometer - you want to get the milk nice and cooked without burning (>180F iirc) and the milk will thicken itself, though the roux adds flavor and thickens it more. I made this for a lasagna and enjoyed the smell through my house for awhile - a mild, rich smell. Add some cheese (parmesan esp.) for added flavor. Again, if you're on a regular diet then this is probably not the right direction but, if you're on a pauper's budget then the fatty foods are probably fine for you.

Another recipe:

(Gringo, slightly pretentious) Refried beans:

Melt a stick of butter or a half cup of oil, again in the best 12"+ non-stick you've got over medium high heat. Garlic and/or onions are traditional but the last time I did this I tried shallots and it turned out well. Add several cloves of garlic to taste and maybe a half chopped onion and cooked until the onion is translucent (making sure to break apart the onion layers while sauteing). Alternately, one large shallot or two smaller ones is what we used to good effect. We used 3 cans of black beans last time. Drain the fluid but reserve (or not -- more later). Add the beans a can at a time and mash. Cook in the oil until pasty, approaching dry, and then add fluid. You cook in oil to develop the flavor in the beans (Maillard Reaction I believe) so take your time-- thick is fine as long as it doesn't burn or go too dry. I like the fluid from the cans or the fluid you used to soak the beans but, supposedly, this is where all the flatulence inducing sugars are so maybe just a little chicken broth/stock. Now, finish seasoning: Use a good paprika - sweet or hot to taste. Paprika is more than food coloring, though you will use more than you'd use of, say, pepper. Add until you can taste it. Use garlic, garlic salt, or none to taste. Salt, pepper, etc. or whatever you like. Cook thin (less time after adding fluid to pan) if for dip/nachos but thicker for burritos.

Work at lower temps, or perhaps more vigorously if you worry about the quality of your pan.

Thank you for your ideas! And the recipe is pretty much a bechamel sauce, easy to make and tastes yummy!!!
  • californiansun
    Options
    Is there a group that does healthy budget food recipes and cost saving ideas?

I don't think so on MFP, but there could be on other websites! Someone should start one on MFP! I don't know how to start groups.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

Yes, it is. I use it as a base for a heck of a lot of sauces. I just haven't been having it as much lately :P