Do I count calories from fruits and vegetables?

Options

Replies

• wendiann2222
    Options
    I feel like I shouldn't "punish" myself for choosing cherry tomatoes over Hershey's kisses.

I don't see logging as 'punishment.' Think of it as recognizing all the 'success' for choosing cherry tomatoes over Hershey's kisses
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Yes. If it has calories, I count it. Doesn't make much sense not to. Plus they have carbohydrates, sugar, even some fat and protein, depending on the fruit/veggie.

I eat so much in the way of fruits and veggies, if I didn't log those calories, I'd either a. appear to be eating hardly anything, or b. eat WAY too much other stuff.
  • pogojr
    pogojr Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I track my fruits and veggies (along with everything else that I eat or drink - even on my cheat day), but at the end of the day, if my sugars are over and it was a mostly fruit day, I don't panic since they are natural sugars.
  • Jess81620
    Jess81620 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I count everything that I eat. Fruit really does have a lot of sugar in it. Although it's a much better form of sugar then a lot of other products.
  • shellsy0424
    shellsy0424 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If it goes in your mouth, then count it.

Definitely this. This is the only way to be successful. There are better choices,. eating cleaner is always better.
  • eal12_00
    eal12_00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i do even though it is small amount
  • Jess81620
    Jess81620 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I log my green tea even and it's zero calories.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I did WW years ago as well so I have always had the "free" vegetables stuck in my head. When I decided to change my lifestyle last September I kept that going and so far I have lost 57lbs. I don't count the veg but I do count every single fruit and anything that the veg might be in, salad dressing, dip, etc.

I say do what works for you and if it doesn't work then start counting them to see what is limiting your success.

Good Luck!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I count everything I eat. Fruit especially can really add to the calorie count. Don't see it as punishment. One thing I realised early on is that there is still incentive to choose things like veggies over chocolate, because they have far fewer calories so you can get away with eating more of them.

Weight Watchers makes fruit & vegetables free to encourage people to eat them, but if you're on WW you don't really have to worry about the calorie content as a lot of it's done for you in the points system. Most people wouldn't get fat on fruit and veg, but it is possible. You're not being "punished" by your diminishing calorie allowance, it's just an accurate reflection of what you're actually eating. Knowledge is power, right?
  • DeBiKin
    DeBiKin Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I list fruits because of the sugar content (& carbs) and vegies when I have a large serving (mostly for the fiber content). I don't worry about the gnats @$$ because I don't list every single movement I make so it balances out enough for me. Besides, sometimes I think I burn more calories looking it up than I do eating it :p
    I also skip listing every pickle or mustard (but list ketchup (because of the sugar).
  • TaylorMagoo15
    Options
    It's just good to be honest with yourself. I count my fruits ans veggies and it helps me stay on track.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Fruit is not a punishment. Fruit is delicious.

If fruit is wrong, I don't want to be right.
  • lil_bear0811
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. I sure want to take credit for every one I burn, so I need to take credit for every one I consume.
  • BHRussell
    BHRussell Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My dietician tell me calories count, just let your body worry about the rest. If you are high on calories make them good choices
    ( nutrient dense foods). Hope that helps
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Count them. This system is a little bit different than WW.

Good luck! <3
  • AngelRobbie
    AngelRobbie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have also done WW in the past, and with little success. I think it was because of all the "free" calories I was eatting. (Strawberries are my favorite food and I was doing WW in the summer..) With MFP I log everything down to the water I drink. I have never been a calorie counter so this is proving to be difficult for me, but I also know where I need to improve so I don't get upset when I go over calories.

Good luck!
  • SuperSneaky
    SuperSneaky Posts: 43
    Options
    My mom lost 100lbs on Weight Watchers. When they made the assumption with the "free" fruits and veggies, she gained weight. I think WW kept defending it as you aren't going to gain weight on veggies, but in her case bananas .... she was eating a few every meal.

I wouldn't consider labeling veggies punishment! If it feels like that, maybe try roasting them with a yummy olive oil/spice blend? It can do wonders.

Also, keep in mind WW has an algorithm for calculating points -- it doesn't necessarily translate into calories.

I really enjoy calorie counting, I think. It satisfies the type-A personality I have.
  • cricketannie
    cricketannie Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. It counts towards your vitamine goals.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I think it's really up to you, but I would (and do). If I didn't eat that much then I might be tempted to not worry about it, but today 440 of my calories have come from fruits or vegetables, so they do add up.
  • temsabi
    temsabi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I count everything food-wise (just not water or daily mundane activities), but that doesn't mean you have to. The tools provided by MFP are just that--tools. Nothing on this site is going to be 100% accurate anyway, so do with it what you will and take everything with a grain of salt. If right now you don't feel you need to track you fruit and veg intake, then don't! You can always change your mind later.