Whole vs. Skim for bebe

Options
MamaRandall
MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
My baby girl is 10 months old now and I was just realizing that she will soon be ready for some cows milk. My two older kids always had whole milk as toddlers, but that was because of WIC. Now days, I always buy skim or almond milk . Do I really need to start buying whole milk for her??

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Yes. The fat in whole milk is vitally important for proper brain development.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a question for your doctor - but I'm pretty sure that low fat dairy isn't recommended for little ones - their developing brains need fat.
  • clotho
    clotho Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The current medical advice is breast or formula until 12 month then whole milk until 2 years.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    From 12-24 months children should have whole milk because as the above poster said it is vital for proper brain development.
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    Little ones need whole milk for brain development. My doc told me until my son was 4 years old.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    The recommendation was whole milk until 2, but my daughter's pedi tells me that 2% is fine as well (AAP has revised their recommendation - http://children.webmd.com/news/20080711/baby-milk-recommendations-changed). My DD is two now, and is not a particularly large kid, so she gets whole milk, although I can give her skim if I so choose.

Keep in mind though that there is no rule that says that they need milk. Yogurt and cheese is fine as well.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Children need the fat from whole milk at least until age two for brain development.
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Okey dokey! Thanks everyone for your responses. Looks like I'll be buying some whole milk again for a while. Sounds like it's a good thing I gave it to my other children... didn't know why I was doing it, but was told to so I did! I really wish my children would all just come with a manual that didn't just tell me what to do with them, it told me why too:wink:
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Yes, get organic whole milk for the little one. We have tons of milks in our house. I buy skim for my husband, organic 2% for our 3 year old, and rice, coconut, and/or almond for our 11 year old (he was vegan until recently and still doesn't love drinking dairy milk.) I use all of the above. Our fridge is ridiculous.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    whole milk (organic)
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    because of this we need a bigger fridge. little one drinks whole milk, the boys want 2%, and the girls drink skim. milk alone takes up half the space we have!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    yes you need to buy her whole milk. she needs the fat.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes, get organic whole milk for the little one. We have tons of milks in our house. I buy skim for my husband, organic 2% for our 3 year old, and rice, coconut, and/or almond for our 11 year old (he was vegan until recently and still doesn't love drinking dairy milk.) I use all of the above. Our fridge is ridiculous.

Lol I buy 4 different kinds of milk at every shopping trip. Whole cows milk, skim cows milk, almond milk, and of course chocolate milk lol.
  • dandes
    dandes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The fat in Whole milk is essential for children up to age 5 - 6 years old for proper brain development.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My opinion (based on lots of reading) is that EVERYONE needs whole milk (organic).
    Our body needs fat. Plus, the more fat the less carbs in milk (for those counting carbs)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Milk is a considered a complete food. It has alot of good nutritions that we need. Children specially donot need to be on a low-fat diet at that age and NEED that fat to build their bodies
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    no. cow's milk is for cows.

you guys have been brainwashed by the dairy farmers of America.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Yes. The fat in whole milk is vitally important for proper brain development.
    ^^^THIS! And if anyone tells you otherwise, you need to consult her pediatrician.
  • nauticaboo
    nauticaboo Posts: 38 Member
    Options

This, kind of. My daughter had a milk allergy, so she was on almond milk and no other dairy products from 1 - 2.5. Her brain is developing just fine. there are ways other than dairy products to get fat in your diet.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options

Wow. I would have expected the cow's milk paranoia comments a lot sooner.