After party- what to do?

Options
2»

Replies

• IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    2600 calories is 2/3 lbs. If you're losing a pound a week, it has set you back 5 days. So use that information to decide how often you're willing to splurge like that. You're going to be eating this way the rest of your life, so there's time to catch up if the good days outnumber the bad days by a sufficient margin.

What is useful is that since you logged accurately, you know you can eat 2600 calories when you do splurge. Often it's not so easy to know what you've eaten. In that case, you can just log 2600 calories and have a fair estimate of what it takes to make you stop eating.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    There's little point in trying to starve it out of you, all that you'll do is make yourself unhappy.

Please clarify?
    Those of us here who are trying to lose weight are already deliberately restricting our intakes - which is (clearly) not an easy thing to do (and for me, especially difficult on a weekend).
    It would be better to create that deficit through an extra 20-30 mins workout than through limiting what you eat even farther.

I see, I thought you were making a point in regards to my post, which suggested not eating until dinner the next day. I do that 3x a week personally, and the results are pretty impressive as far as fat loss goes.
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    huh... I thought they banned Jolt cola. whoodathunk. :tongue:

Oh, it wasn't jolt. It was some sort of NRG drink/cola/tea sugary crud though.
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Someone had a great post a few days ago about not beating yourself up or worry about a bad day. I tried locating it for you to give you the link but no luck. But basically, don't fret over it too much. It's not going to destroy your efforts. Just pick up tomorrow and move on. If it eases your mind, eat a few less calories for a few days or make your work outs 15 minutes longer or something just to get you through the mental beat-up we tend to put on ourselves but, in reality, it's likely not going to be a big issue.
  • spamhead06
    spamhead06 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Looks like previous days, you haven't eaten your exercise calories back, so you're still in a deficit by the looks of it!! Always good to have a burn out now and again, we're not robots, lol!! You was short about 1500 calories for the week, so not too much over after the party :-)
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    Looks like previous days, you haven't eaten your exercise calories back, so you're still in a deficit by the looks of it!! Always good to have a burn out now and again, we're not robots, lol!! You was short about 1500 calories for the week, so not too much over after the party :-)
    My exercise calories are already factored in to my calorie goal. But thanks!
  • davidshutter
    davidshutter Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There's little point in trying to starve it out of you, all that you'll do is make yourself unhappy.

Please clarify?
    Those of us here who are trying to lose weight are already deliberately restricting our intakes - which is (clearly) not an easy thing to do (and for me, especially difficult on a weekend).
    It would be better to create that deficit through an extra 20-30 mins workout than through limiting what you eat even farther.

I see, I thought you were making a point in regards to my post, which suggested not eating until dinner the next day. I do that 3x a week personally, and the results are pretty impressive as far as fat loss goes.

Oh, no. I make a point of not making snide and indirect remarks about somebody else's comments, I think these forums have enough bickering and passive-aggressiveness already.

Exercising will release endorphins, and make you feel good - sitting around thinking about food wont! :-)

Those of us that have been doing this for a while all have our own systems that work well for us. But at the end of the day the maths are simple - Fewer calories going in than going out = deficit = losing weight.
    It's up to the individual how they manage that, there will be scientific studies to back up and to contradict everyone's methods; skipping breakfast vs eating breakfast, is a classic example of this.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    So I went crazy with food at a family get together tonight.

I have my diary open.

What do I do to recover my week?
    Target for the next 6 days would be 1478, based on today's intake+target ((1789*7-3650)/6). Basically, look at your calories on a weekly basis instead of daily, then if you go over on one day, it's not such a big deal to make it up. No sweat!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    You can lift weights on an empty stomach, and some people run on an empty stomach- but I would not recommend running without fuel if you don't know how your body will respond to it. I would either save the running until after you've eaten again or bring a snack of some kind with you in case you get hypoglycemic from it.

Fasted cardio is awesome in terms of results (IMO the only way cardio is worth the time it takes to do from a perspective of getting in shape), but pretty brutal in terms of how exhausted you feel afterwards.

Definitely take it easy the first time you try it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    There is lots of good advice here so I will not repeat. But what I do want to add/emphasise is - do not beat yourself up about it. The worse thing someone can do, in my opinion, in this situation is let it get to them - recognize and ackowledge it, but do not go on a guilt trip. I seems to me that getting too bothered about it can lead to counter-productive actions, for example, the 'I've blown it anyway, so I may as well totally go overboard', or get depressed about it which in turn can lead to emotional eating. Just remember you have been 'good' for a while now - treat it as a 'spike' or 'break' day and get back on track. In fact, that small spike (and its not really that as you were probably still under maintenance) may well be a good thing in the scheme of things - as long as you do not beat yourself up about it.
  • hbart500
    hbart500 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters just go back to the normal routine :) If anything you can always make your workouts a little longer/harder for a few days to make yourself feel better about a good night. Everyone has nights out and they are totally worth it.