To those big losers out there :-)

Options
100over
100over Posts: 53 Member
Just wondering for all you big losers out there, how many of you have picked up running as an exercise compared to how many exercise in the gym or do dvd's???

It seems whenever I read a big weight loss story, the person has started running during their journey. I really want to start, just really scared to at 223 lbs.

Leah

Replies

• liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I am not really a "big" loser compared to most folks on MFP but I did reach my goal weight. I mostly used the gym, but I tell ya, the folks that run, even on the treadmill seem to really drop it fast.

Don't be nervous about it... I've seen folks that were heavier start walking on the treadmill, then trotting/walking, then picking up the pace.

I turned around 8 weeks later and barely recognized them because they were so much leaner. If your knees are good and you have a good pair of light running shoes, go for it!!
  • oxoxo
    oxoxo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started at just over 240lbs... mind you at that time I couldn't run for 30seconds without feeling I was going to die. I still have A LOT to loose but I now run for over a mile straight, slow... but I can do it! And at first I hated running... but the better I get the better it gets and the more I enjoy it. I love seeing the progress. :)
  • 100over
    Options
    Thanks Vickey and good for you for reaching your goal weight, no matter what it is :-)
    That's what I've noticed.....they seem to lose it a lot faster. I need to invest in a pair of shoes. I wish my son was better on his bike so he could come with me - it would open my schedule up a lot more, but he's still on training wheels.
  • kylejh
    kylejh Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I use the gym (an hour of cardio on the elliptical every morning), but also walk 3-4 days a week (an hour at either 3.5 or 4.0 MPH depending on the day). No interest in running.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You don't have to start by running. I have been working up to running for a while I started walking - slowly and not far. Now I walk/jog more than 5 miles most days. I am not a big lose yet, but I will be. I am only a few pounds less than you. Just work your way up!
  • 100over
    Options
    oxoxo.........do you run outdoors on a treadmill. I have had my poor husband buy and then get rid of sooooooo many treadmills I don't think he'll get me another one - lol. So I might have to prove myself by running outside first, but I find that intimidating.
  • kmckeown1971
    kmckeown1971 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just wondering for all you big losers out there, how many of you have picked up running as an exercise compared to how many exercise in the gym or do dvd's???

It seems whenever I read a big weight loss story, the person has started running during their journey. I really want to start, just really scared to at 223 lbs.

Leah

Hi there!! I did my first 5 k at 220 last year.. did I walk some of it.. yup.. did I run some of it.. yup.. did I puke.. nope.. did I finish last.. nope.. did I finish... HELL YES!! if you want to start running the couch 2 5k program is awesome and you will see it refered to as c25k.... YOU GOT THIS!!! I am 216.4 today and am still out there, and loving it!

Kandy
  • Jers43
    Jers43 Posts: 100
    Options
    I am not a big loser . I reached my goal mostly through running..mixing in other sports. The cool thing is you can run almost whenever you want, you don't have to go to a gym you can just go out your front door do as much or as little as you like. As long as someone can keep an eye on the kids!
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    At 220 I couldn't run 30 seconds without being completely winded. I started a 'couch to 5k' program and got up to 90 seconds, then stopped. Just recently (at 208 ish) I starting running/walking on a treadmill. I jogged for as long as I could at a slower pace and have kept up with it ever since. I can now jog 10 minutes at a time at a 5.0 pace. I'd say if you're interested, try it now! Start slow, don't try to force yourself to go 5.5, 6.0, or anything you see others doing. Start with 30 seconds on, 2 minutes off, or whatever you're comfortable with. Try to push yourself a little bit further each time you workout. I thought I would hate running and the treadmill, but I find that every time I get on it, I do a little bit better and now I look foward to it sooooo much because every workout gives a small NSV...you'll be surprised!

Oh, and I find it helps to have awesome music with a strong, driving beat! The less you think about the act of running, the less you watch the clock. That's how I discovered I could run for 10 mintues straight... Good luck!
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have taken to running a bit, working on the c25k program. I realize that I will never be a long distance runner. But I enjoy the endurance I am building up running. I do plan on completing a 5k by end of summer.
  • do4fit
    do4fit Posts: 23
    Options
    I've lost almost 100lbs, in Nov I started with a personal trainer and she had me start running. We run most days now that it is nicer out and assigns it as home work sometimes and sometimes I will go for a walk run. It's not my favorite thing in the world but it is something different. I do still work out at the gym and sometimes will work out at home with my body weight.
  • 100over
    Options
    kylejh.......well that's a pretty good walking pace. An hour on the elliptical, omg. Good for you on your weight loss.........you're almost at goal :-)
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm still just walking, but I really like it, as long as it isn't too cold out.
  • Jers43
    Jers43 Posts: 100
    Options
    Running outside is the best!
  • CaDez613
    CaDez613 Posts: 3
    Options
    I think your son riding his bike, even with the training wheels, is a perfect workout partner. Keeping pace with him will ensure you start slow and don't do too much too soon, thus avoiding injury. As you both get better, the pace will pick up naturally.
  • gmarriottfccla
    Options
    Hey, I'm 208 lbs, and started running yesterday. It was a great desicion and I don't regret it whatsoever! I ran a mile in twelve minutes! To be honest, I didn't run the entire time, but I still got there! Just keep in mind that before and after running you should stretch for 10-15 minutes, or else you'll be unbearably sore the next day! Feel free to add me and keep in touch! (:
  • philsykes
    philsykes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started by walking my dog for a few miles a night after work and twice on a saturday and sunday, as i had bad shin splints and this helped build the muscles up in my shins....
    After a couple of weeks i left the dog in the house (dont worry he still got a walk as well!) and started to jog, found a pace i was comfortable at and i havent looked back since...

I wouldnt waste my money on gym membership get out in the sun / rain / snow and enjoy the fresh air!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I have never ran....I feel as long as I'm not just sitting around, and I keep moving I'll be fine. I do walk everyday.
  • 100over
    Options
    jers43...........yeah, I've heard outside is better for your muscles etc. because of the natural changes in the terrain. We're in a rural area so the blocks around here are pretty big since everyone is on at least an acre, so it would definitely be a good start. Thx.
  • smkafka
    smkafka Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I work out at the gym. It helps motive me when I see the other people working their *kitten* off!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!