Ever Get Any Back-Handed Compliments?

Options
OddBookOut
OddBookOut Posts: 25 Member
I'm sure since all of us are striving to make a change or take care of ourselves that we've all had some of these. It's when people want to compliment you but they manage to throw an insult in somehow.

For example: Wow! You look so much better now!

What? Like I wasn't fabulous before?

Replies

• etavi
    etavi Posts: 85
    Options
    "Its not like you don't have a pretty face"
    OH GEE THANKS
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    :noway: "You seem happier now"
  • FitnessSista
    FitnessSista Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    "Tell that little lady not to be lifting such heavy weights" - mother-in-law
  • OddBookOut
    Options
    I heard one the other day, "You have such lovely skin, but most fat girls do." Seriously??? Glad it was only second hand or I would have knocked someone out.
  • Aimyloo
    Aimyloo Posts: 14
    Options
    "Its not like you don't have a pretty face"
    OH GEE THANKS

*But you have such a pretty face/eyes/smile/hair, etc*

Well, wtf is wrong with the rest of me?

People don't understand why this is insulting... :(
  • jadedm
    jadedm Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    " You're cute in the face, just abit big.." -___-;
  • OddBookOut
    Options
    "Well at least you have boobs."
  • Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    "You seem a lot lighter on your feet" Um, duh!!!
  • breskittle
    breskittle Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    "Eat a Sandwich" - like um thanks?
    or always calling me "skinny girl" when they talk to me, but the way they say it doesn't sound like a compliment.

It's like, I like that people think I'm skinny but you're insulting me saying it like that or instead of actually complimenting me or commenting on my weight loss you just tell me to eat more....why so I can me unhappy and chubby and jealous of skinnier people again?
  • katyar95
    katyar95 Posts: 6
    Options
    SO glad its not just me!
  • Mira710
    Mira710 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    "You dress well for your size"

Um thanks, b----.
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    "Whatever weight Jo (me) lost, A (my husband) gained" - coming from my MIL. Way to insult her son :noway:
  • eva_lawlor
    eva_lawlor Posts: 81
    Options
    "youre so much smaller, your kinda hot now"

Oh, i wasnt hot before? thanks >.<
  • RenaeM
    RenaeM Posts: 1
    Options
    "You dress so nice....for a big girl"
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    My ex called me up one day to talk about his new girlfriend. He said, "I have to thank you so much. Because of you, I realized I have to learn how to appreciate others and care about their feelings more." Ummm thanks, where was this revelation DURING our four-year relationship???
  • OddBookOut
    Options
    "Eat a Sandwich" - like um thanks?
    or always calling me "skinny girl" when they talk to me, but the way they say it doesn't sound like a compliment.

It's like, I like that people think I'm skinny but you're insulting me saying it like that or instead of actually complimenting me or commenting on my weight loss you just tell me to eat more....why so I can me unhappy and chubby and jealous of skinnier people again?

My sister is only 14 years old but she gets this all the time! She's gorgeous! The girls in school are jealous of her size though and it's like they think if you aren't overweight it's not an insult to talk about your size. Smaller girls get even more criticism than those trying to lose weight.
  • Aimyloo
    Aimyloo Posts: 14
    Options
    My skin is horrible! Oily face & sometimes scalp since I was a teen, scarred since adult onset acne in early 20's and the rest of me is so dry I call it "lizard skin" because It's dry & cracked. Resembles the desert floor, actually :-l

Another fat person fallacy! Laughable tho.

I've heard a ton...can't wait to see who posts what!
  • Billywoo
    Billywoo Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yeah... well guy's get things like, "WOW, you've lost so much weight!! I bet you can see your _____ Better now!!" Whats wrong with people?....
  • OddBookOut
    Options
    Yeah... well guy's get things like, "WOW, you've lost so much weight!! I bet you can see your _____ Better now!!" Whats wrong with people?....

OMG You are kidding me!!!