To those big losers out there :-)

Options

Replies

• Billywoo
    Billywoo Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I weighed in at 206 this am. I started here at 244 in March 2012. AT 244 I would go to a local track, walk a lap run a half. Then I started walking a lap, running a lap. Then I pushed myself to run two times around, 3, 4, etc. A few weeks ago I ran a 5k without stopping. It just happens like a practice makes perfect type of thing. Good luck!!
  • fauxliage
    fauxliage Posts: 9
    Options
    I started running when I weighed about 250 lbs. I just took it slow. c25k is great (sparkpeople also has some more conservative plans) and if you hit a week that you struggle with, enhh just keep repeating it. The important part of running is having really good shoes and just not overdoing it.

I did end up overdoing it in the fall and had to take a couple months off, but just did other non running exercise for a while and got back into it when I was cleared to do so, and slowly built back up. I maybe run 3 or so miles three times a week now.

But it's more important to enjoy what you do. I wouldn't run just because I thought I would lose weight faster, I run because I enjoy it. But I also keep a lot of variety in the mix too because I enjoy doing different things (currently besides the running, I'm swimming, strength training, doing some outdoors cycling or spin classes, etc).
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Just wondering for all you big losers out there, how many of you have picked up running as an exercise compared to how many exercise in the gym or do dvd's???

It seems whenever I read a big weight loss story, the person has started running during their journey. I really want to start, just really scared to at 223 lbs.

Leah

I started with walking and wii fit plus, graduated to DVD's like Ripped in 30 and soon Insanity. I'm planning to start c25k soon as well. And eventually, when I'm bored with home workouts, I'll join a gym but mainly for access to the pool and rowing machines.

Good luck!
  • 100over
    100over Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    No......I just mean running as a main form of cardio.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you can count me as a big loser, but I have started running recently at just over 200 pounds. I did it as a necessity because I am doing a triathlon. I'm not sure I would have picked it up if I wasn't, but I'm really glad I started. It's a lot of fun and one of those things you can take anywhere.

I'm sure people have mentioned the couch to 5k program and I can't say enough good things about it. It was SO helpful and really helped me build up my stamina. Definitely run outside, I started running on a treadmill and am now struggling a bit transitioning to outside. But running outside is way more fun. Good luck!
  • trini88
    trini88 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My sister just completed a weight loss challenge at her work. She works out regulary, but runs almost 10K 5-6 days/week. She lost 21lbs in 6 weeks from running, and I have to give her credit, knowing how our legs are ;) hers look amazing!! Very fit. I'm not a runner, never have been and doubtfully will ever be, but I've seen the results from it with my own eyes :)
  • Linnya1
    Linnya1 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have been doing a combination of running and walking. I live in a "typical" neighborhood, in that the houses are evenly spaced. I start out and run/jog for two houses then fast walk, then run/jog, and so fotth. Twice around the block is 1 mile Hey its not how far its the doing it on a regular basis that is the key. Good luck with your program.
  • aliciar876
    aliciar876 Posts: 32
    Options
    I did my first 5k last year at 330lbs, I walked most of it but I did run about a mile total. But know i'm down to 270 and can run a mile in 11:23. But I started out slow run for 30sec walk for 1min and slowing increased my running and decreased my walking. So you can do it :)
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I hope to be a big loser, and I am looking forward to adding a jog little by little. I think when I start it will be more of a shuffle-coupla-steps-try-not-to-plant-my-face-in-the-sidewalk-kinda-thing, but I am already picturing in my head what that will feel like. I don't know when it will happen for me, but I know at 400 I was able to jog down a hall when I had a code on a couple of occasions, so I expect I will be able to do short distances (very short) in a couple of months. If I could show up for someone else in need, I need to show up for myself.
  • mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    While I'm not in the same big-loser league as fauxliage, jhardenbergh or BigMech - I have enjoyed losing some pounds and have included running in my exercise regime, I am currently around the 215 mark and just graduated to 10k distance. The biggest benefit I have found hasn't been the weight loss, as the running is only part of that equation, but my general health has improved, my fitness is greatly improved and my body shape has drastically changed. My core is stronger, my back is stronger & my stomach will look better once I can shift the last of the cushioning :-) Couch to 5k is an excellent introduction to running, either on a treadmill or outdoors (my preference). Properly fitted running shoes are a necessity to help minimise risk of injury and maximise comfort levels. Don't rush it, take it at your own pace and repeat days/weeks if you feel you need to. Don't hare off, keep the speed down and don't look at it as running a 5k, just "running".
    Best O' Luck
  • mizzthang
    mizzthang Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My ankles are not the strongest so I tend to do hill climbing on the treadmill... maximum incline and I vary speeds between 6.0 - 6.7 it burns calories real quick but it is hard work :0)
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    37 lbs lost, and I never run. Hate it, it's just so boring to me.

I lift weights as often as I can, and typically use bike, cardio equipment, or DVDs for my main exercise.
  • gatecityradio
    gatecityradio Posts: 401
    Options
    Most of my weight loss has been from dieting and occasionally riding my bike or walking. I have just started jogging.
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    GO FOR IT! MORE POWER TO YOU! I want to run, but a foot injury is preventing me at this time. If it's something you want to do, just take the plunge! It may be hard and first, but I believe in you!
  • nancy5012
    nancy5012 Posts: 40
    Options
    I picked up running, well it is more of a slow jog(!) and used the Couch to 5K program to get me going. I've never been a runner and hoped the program would at least get me to run a mile - never dreamed I could run 3. I started in October at about 191 pounds. It took me a long time on the program - which is technically a nine week program.....it took me about 6 months to be able to get up to running a 5K, but I did it. I noticed that running really helped with the inches lost.. It is a great workout - take it very slow tho. I started out way to fast and got burned out quickly. When I slowed it way down I was much better. My pace is between 4.5 - 5 mph now - I started ALOT slower.

Best of luck to you!

PS - I am now at 162 pounds and continue to lose.
  • oxoxo
    oxoxo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh it's def intimidating. I started on the treadmill... started walking, doing intervals and just adding minutes every time I ran, gradually. Then I just recently I started outside... I found it harder at first because I had to push myself more. I didn't have the belt on the treadmill... lol But I saw progress and I'd make goals..such as add 5min every month or every half month onto your running time. Every time you reach it and push yourself to it... you'll feel great!!!! :)
  • LilRiver
    LilRiver Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and started at 270+ (took me a few weeks to get the courage to step on a scale and I was 270 then - that was Feb 10th).

Started off by walking and when I was about 260 lbs I broke into a jog for part of my walk - it freaked me out a bit, I didn't mean to. I didn't jog for long, maybe 2 minutes, but it was enough to realize that I *wanted* to run. I've been a bit worried about my knees so I've continued to walk (very occasional short jogs). I also do some wii/dvd stuff as well as some strength training. Hopefully getting my stamina and strength up will make the c25k a bit easier/less discouraging. I weighed in today at 232. I figure I'll start the c25k around 225 and see how it goes - if my knees freak, I'll hold off until 200lbs.

Not running yet has not slowed my weight loss - I'm averaging over 2lbs down a week. I never planned adding running to the exercise plan. I figured I'd get my exercise via hiking & swimming, both of which I loved back when I was fit. I always hated running, so it's very strange that I have this strong desire to do it, but I'm not going to fight and I'll do it as long as it's enjoyable. If not, I'll find something else I enjoy. I think that's the most important thing - if you enjoy it, you'll move more. How you move doesn't matter as much as just moving.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    No running for me....sorry.:smile: I walk and ride my bike. :happy: I don't have the knees for running. :frown:

Good luck to you in your journey to a healthier future. :flowerforyou:
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Both of the trainers I've had swear by running. They say it's the best cardio. I hate running, but I wasn't really seeing a whole lot of results with the eliptical. I tried interval running, but I kept losing track of my time. Now, I follow along with the track, I walk the curves, then jog the straights. I haven't noticed a huge drop in weight, I've really only been walking/jogging for a couple of weeks. I have noticed that my endurance is getting better & my recovery time is much shorter. I don't feel as winded. I'm at 214 right now, & I started this whole process at 223.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight through walking (started out walking for about 20 minutes and a low incline and worked my way up to over an hour and maxed out the incline on my treadmill). I tried switching to running about 3 months/15lbs ago, but it ended up having to switch back to walking because it was too hard on my knee (I can't even imagine how bad my knee would have been had I tried to run when I was over 200 lbs!). . However, now that I'm so close to a healthy weight, I'm now able to run comfortably and without pain. The moral of my rambling is to start slow and then work your way up to running.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!