other people correcting your technique? your opinion?

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my general rule of thumb in life is to not give unsolicited advice or opinions.

i've had too many busy bodies needlessly approach me in gyms about things like how i modify a position in yoga class so i want suffocate myself, how i'm working out too hard on the treadmill, etc to appreciate an outright "lesson"

but yeah i agree with it's how you do it a few weeks ago 1 gus at the gym helped me in such a way that it didnt seem like he was being a*hole about it. he complimented me on being able to do tons of full bodied push ups, but then suggested i try those handle bars since that help keeps my wrists where they should be. then after i tried the bar the next day i realized he was saying "good job at what you've accomplished so far, but your form could be better". i definitely appreciated being told this way than some stranger coming up to me and being like "you're doing that wrong"
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I would probably be annoyed.

See, I've hired trainers in the past, three times.

I told them all I wanted to get strong. I expected some weight loss as a side effect, but my primary purpose was strength, not weight loss.

All three of them put me on machines with 3 sets of 10-12 reps and light weight, all isolation stuff.

The last one, I asked to help me learn to squat.

He put me on a Smith machine and only had me go down half-way. Funny thing was, he put 50 lbs on the thing. Why not just let me use a bar?

So, if a trainer came up and tried to criticize my form, I'd probably tell them to f-off unless I was paying them.

Yeah unfortunately most trainers really aren't worth a ****. I'd say the trainers that go through NASM are probably the better of the bunch but you can't put a price on pure experience. I'll take experience and results over somebody with just an education any day of the week and twice on Tuesday.

Haha, yeah. I'm from australia and we have either AIF or TAFE here. I chose TAFE cause AIF has been known not to teach you much (considering it is an 8 week course) The TAFE course goes for 1.5years full time and we learn everything from anatomy to psychology to business.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I am happy to take advice from a knowledgeable source.

It's all about efficiency. I could probably find out the hard circuitous way -- but a good teacher gets you from A to B with a straight line.

If you're concerned about someone's reaction, couple of things that could help:
    - my former trainer would use humor in pointing things out
    - sometimes you can introduce yourself and ask if they wanted a free quick tip about form/technique (if they say 'no', your conscience is still clear for trying)
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out what she wants to correct about back being off the bench during a bench press. It's supposed to be off the bench. Feet on the floor, hips on the bench, back arched, shoulder blades under and against the bench, chest up.
    This ACTUALLY is not true, it puts way too much pressure on the spine which need not be there.
    No offense, but I'll take the technique and form I was taught by an Olympic certified weight lifting coach over a student, any day. Lower back arched off the bench is actually normal anatomical position for the spine. Putting it completely flat on the bench would force you to relax it and round it, which will cause injury. Arching puts in the correct position with the proper muscles supporting it. Do you tell people to do rows or deadlifts with a rounded back? So why would you tell them to bench press with a rounded back?

Correct, arched back bench press (shoulders and butt touching the bench) is what is taught by well, everyone. Even just read about it in Rippetoe's Starting Strength, it outlines exactly why you want to arch your back. Obviously not so much of an arch that your butt comes off the bench or you're laying on your neck or something. But enough of an arch to fit a hand under is considered the best form for powerlifting. You can push more while minimizing risk of injury.

In other words, I wouldn't go around offering up unsolicited advice at all. Especially when your information is wrong.

I'm not saying it has to be COMPLETELY flat, I mean people which take their butt completely off the bench, like this...

zxno8j.jpg

And maybe you shouldn't go around accusing people of **** when you have no idea what they're even talking about.

The poster your arguing with said nothing about taking your butt of the bench. Why are you accusing him of not knowing what he's saying? Id' say you should go demand a refund on your education.

I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about him accusing me of my information being wrong when he doesn't even know what I was talking about in the first place.

His response and your response in bold

Having said that...
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/bench-press-technique.html

Eta: I think it would depend on your approach. Most people would probably appreciate help.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out what she wants to correct about back being off the bench during a bench press. It's supposed to be off the bench. Feet on the floor, hips on the bench, back arched, shoulder blades under and against the bench, chest up.
    This ACTUALLY is not true, it puts way too much pressure on the spine which need not be there.
    No offense, but I'll take the technique and form I was taught by an Olympic certified weight lifting coach over a student, any day. Lower back arched off the bench is actually normal anatomical position for the spine. Putting it completely flat on the bench would force you to relax it and round it, which will cause injury. Arching puts in the correct position with the proper muscles supporting it. Do you tell people to do rows or deadlifts with a rounded back? So why would you tell them to bench press with a rounded back?

Correct, arched back bench press (shoulders and butt touching the bench) is what is taught by well, everyone. Even just read about it in Rippetoe's Starting Strength, it outlines exactly why you want to arch your back. Obviously not so much of an arch that your butt comes off the bench or you're laying on your neck or something. But enough of an arch to fit a hand under is considered the best form for powerlifting. You can push more while minimizing risk of injury.

In other words, I wouldn't go around offering up unsolicited advice at all. Especially when your information is wrong.

I'm not saying it has to be COMPLETELY flat, I mean people which take their butt completely off the bench, like this...

zxno8j.jpg

And maybe you shouldn't go around accusing people of **** when you have no idea what they're even talking about.

The poster your arguing with said nothing about taking your butt of the bench. Why are you accusing him of not knowing what he's saying? Id' say you should go demand a refund on your education.

I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about him accusing me of my information being wrong when he doesn't even know what I was talking about in the first place.

His response and your response in bold

Having said that...
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/bench-press-technique.html

I'm sorry it was 3am when I wrote that and thought he said that the butt was meant to be off the bench, but realised afterwards it didn't....
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I see it all the time, but I never say anything.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'd be wary of correcting anybody's form until you know their history/goals.

Some dude interrupted me mid-squat to critique my technique which is effed up on it's own but I already knew about my tendency to GM on the last reps of the last sets. I did not need that pointed out, actually. I was working on it. I might judge the woman hanging over a cardio machine until I know it's a triumph for her to get to the gym at all and some chick telling her she's Doing It Wrong is not going to help either.

I guess I just don't see this sort of intervention as being particularly helpful regardless of the credentials/intentions of the person doing the intervening.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I see it all the time, but I never say anything.

Yup, people just don't react well. Today there was this kid in the gym doing squats and he was in really good shape and probably a very good athlete, but his squat form was fairly bad and would've benefited from some help. I didn't say anything...
  • JNick77
    Options
    Some dude interrupted me mid-squat to critique my technique

Yeah, that is pretty rude regardless of who that person was. It's a good way to distract somebody and get them hurt in the process.
  • mamamudbug
    Options

I'm sorry it was 3am when I wrote that and thought he said that the butt was meant to be off the bench..

:wink: Ok, I gotcha. Best wishes with your studies :flowerforyou:
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

I'm sorry it was 3am when I wrote that and thought he said that the butt was meant to be off the bench..

:wink: Ok, I gotcha. Best wishes with your studies :flowerforyou:

Thankyou :)
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I would love someone to do this (especially if I was doing something that could result in an injury) but i can understand why you are worried about doing it - not everyone would take it well!

I agree. I would have loved for someone to correct me when I started The 30 Day Shred and killed my knees by having them too far forward (took 4 weeks after the 30 days to get them better).

Kill them with kindness first you can get a feel for their attitude, and I do believe you said you were in training....make certain you know what your talking about :)
  • mamamudbug
    Options

Some dude interrupted me mid-squat to critique my technique which is effed up on it's own but I already knew about my tendency to GM on the last reps of the last sets. I did not need that pointed out, actually. I was working on it. I might judge the woman hanging over a cardio machine until I know it's a triumph for her to get to the gym at all and some chick telling her she's Doing It Wrong is not going to help either.

I guess I just don't see this sort of intervention as being particularly helpful regardless of the credentials/intentions of the person doing the intervening.

I would have wanted to throw a plate at him. You bring up a good point though. 6 months ago if anyone had said anything to me I probably would have left and never went back. I would have never realized I actually love lifting.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    i would love for people to correct my technique. the majority of the time i have no idea what i'm doing so any tips are always wholeheartedly welcomed.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

I would have wanted to throw a plate at him. You bring up a good point though. 6 months ago if anyone had said anything to me I probably would have left and never went back. I would have never realized I actually love lifting.

Yeah I'd wait until they were leaving the gym or at least between sets and just ask if they'd like some pointers, not like oh you're doing this all wrong blahblah. I'd just say ... if you changed this it would make you less subsective to injury... If they say no yeah course I'd back off, it's just some novices don't actually know that they are doing anything wrong.
  • JNick77
    Options
    i would love for people to correct my technique. the majority of the time i have no idea what i'm doing so any tips are always wholeheartedly welcomed.

You can do a couple things here and another lady actually did this yesterday.

1. Post a video of each exercise you want reviewed.
    2. Watch good videos by people like Mark Rippletoe, Dave Tate (Elite EFS), Louis Simmons (Westside Barbell Club) and then find people in the gym that seem to have good form and ask for their help.
    3. Learn from those same videos yourself.

:)
  • superstankazz
    superstankazz Posts: 193
    Options
    I am studying to become a Personal Trainer atm, and I see a lot of people doing things wrong at the gym...
    eg people swinging with lat pulldown, swinging with bicep curls, people lifting their back up on the bench press whilst lifting the weight.

It all looks like an injury waiting to happen, but would you find it ignorant if someone came up to you and corrected your technique, cause you're scared they may hurt themselves or they will not be getting the most out of an exercise?

I never ever say anything to anyone with bad technique...However, I purposely shake my head at them when we make eye contact...I have been known to bust out laughing too...

Kills me when dudes put way too much weight on their lat pull downs and they are trying to use their whole body to pull it down...

or the habitual curl bar rocker...bwahahahaha
    @Mercenary1914, You don't have many friends do you?
  • JNick77
    Options
    I am studying to become a Personal Trainer atm, and I see a lot of people doing things wrong at the gym...
    eg people swinging with lat pulldown, swinging with bicep curls, people lifting their back up on the bench press whilst lifting the weight.

It all looks like an injury waiting to happen, but would you find it ignorant if someone came up to you and corrected your technique, cause you're scared they may hurt themselves or they will not be getting the most out of an exercise?

I never ever say anything to anyone with bad technique...However, I purposely shake my head at them when we make eye contact...I have been known to bust out laughing too...

Kills me when dudes put way too much weight on their lat pull downs and they are trying to use their whole body to pull it down...

or the habitual curl bar rocker...bwahahahaha
    You don't have many friends do you?

Honestly I'd like him to come to my gym and shake his head at some folks because I see that crap everyday. There's this dude I refer to as Captain Kindle, because he takes 10-minute breaks and reads his Kindle in-between sets, but this fool will put some weight on a barbell in the full power rack, throw on a 13mm lifting belt and prime himself for a huge lift but he's just doing BB curls. Although I refer to his curls as Power Curls because he sets up like he's going to do Hang Cleans and Curls with all that momentum. LMAO
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    A trainer at my gym a while back pointed out something I was doing wrong on my squats. He noticed that I was leaving my shoulders behind when my hips were coming out of the hole and he was right. It looked like I was doing goodmornings halfway through my squat. His conjecture that the weight was too heavy being the cause was wrong though. It was just plain old sloppy form. I'm currently squatting a hundred pounds more than I was at that time and with better form and protecting my back. He did wait until after my set to tell me though. Another one showed me how to hip drive, which added a lot of power to my squat, so that was pretty cool. Now when somebody tries to tell me I'm doing it wrong, because you need to isolate your quads by using a leg press or smith machine, that's when I let it go in one ear and out the other.
    There are some a-holes and *kitten* out there too, but, for the most part, most people are just trying to be helpful.
  • ReneeElizabeth26
    Options
    I appreciate help from the trainers if they see I am doing something wrong..Id be more likely to hire them to help me since they showed concern in the first place.