Eatting every 3 hours??

Options

Replies

• bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I agree with the folks saying do it if it works for u. My hubby eats hardly much more than a banana, coffee, and an English muffin with peanut butter alllllll day, then probably 700-1000 cals at dinner. He goes to the gym 6 dys a week, and has been losing weight every week since November. Soooooo, to each his own I think.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Look very carefully at the physique maintained by each man that posted this.

Physical appearance determines your knowledge of human nutrition and physiology? I had no idea.

I've heard plenty of obese people opine about how to lose weight. I listen to the people who've figured out how to apply the knowledge.
    If only it were that simple. Genetics, among other things, tend to complicate that logic. I understand what you're trying to say but heading down that path is a slippery slope.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    and it is probably possible to overcome, but i don't see why i would want to change it??? if i didn't like eating frequently or if it didn't work for my lifestyle, i would probably attempt a change, but it's working for me. most likely, because of the changes that have been made in my blood sugar levels and my weight loss (lower cholesterol, etc.) i probably could make adaptations and be fine. but feeling like crap isn't worth messing with my routine. LOL :smile: i have read about the I.F. and it was interesting to me. perhaps when i am not in child-bearing years i will try it, but right now, we don't use b/control and i could be preg at any time, so i try really hard to eat on schedule just in case. trust me, if anyone had ever felt the way i do and the sickness i get if i don't eat properly, they would understand!
    How can it be "working" for you when you would faint if you miss a meal? If your blood sugar is this sensitive, I think you need to see a doctor.
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I tried this a few years ago and I was always hungry and counting down until the next time I could eat.

Now, I eat a small breakfast, a small lunch, a snack after my workout, a big dinner, and a dessert/snack before bed. I like the bulk of my calories at night.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I agree.

Partially.

MANY people who are turning to intermittent fasting have found that after a short period of time, these effects from not eating regularly go away COMPLETELY. This gives them a level of freedom that they were unable to imagine previously. So yes...it can definitely affect you! But for the majority (even those with issues like yours), I think it is something that can be adapted to...just as the article said.
    I can vouch for this. Was mildly hypoglycemic before I started IF, and had been for years. Now I can go ~20 hours without food without any negative effects. Took about 3 weeks for the acute effects to go away, 2 months for everything. I did have to have people drive me to lunch at work for the first week or two (lol).

Obviously, consult with your doctor before trying this if you are hypoglycemic or have any other health issues.

Definitely the part in bold. It was sort of irresponsible of me to omit that...but, I personally use the internet for ideas to research and test...not to jump wholesale into and possibly harm myself lol. I tend to forget that not everyone online has the same mindset, which is ok...just not the way I do it.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options

Physical appearance determines your knowledge of human nutrition and physiology? I had no idea.

I've heard plenty of obese people opine about how to lose weight. I listen to the people who've figured out how to apply the knowledge.

And I've heard plenty of fit people spout some absolutely whackadoodle nonsense. I think basing your dietary decisions on what someone else looks like is a very foolish thing to do.
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    the above post was too long to quote by sniperzzzz, but i do not think you can make generalizations about people's blood sugar levels. i literally DO walk around in a haze when i do not eat frequently, esp when i was pregnant. i would faint if i didn't eat on my schedule. my brain function is completely different if i skip a meal or eat poorly. having a donut for breakfast can cause me to not be able to balance my checkbook. i think each person's body requirements are different.
    Yes it is long i agree, but well worth a read when you have time :smile:
    Great site too lots of good info, even if you don't want to do intermittent fasting.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    the above post was too long to quote by sniperzzzz, but i do not think you can make generalizations about people's blood sugar levels. i literally DO walk around in a haze when i do not eat frequently, esp when i was pregnant. i would faint if i didn't eat on my schedule. my brain function is completely different if i skip a meal or eat poorly. having a donut for breakfast can cause me to not be able to balance my checkbook. i think each person's body requirements are different.

I agree.

Partially.

MANY people who are turning to intermittent fasting have found that after a short period of time, these effects from not eating regularly go away COMPLETELY. This gives them a level of freedom that they were unable to imagine previously. So yes...it can definitely affect you! But for the majority (even those with issues like yours), I think it is something that can be adapted to...just as the article said.

and it is probably possible to overcome, but i don't see why i would want to change it??? if i didn't like eating frequently or if it didn't work for my lifestyle, i would probably attempt a change, but it's working for me. most likely, because of the changes that have been made in my blood sugar levels and my weight loss (lower cholesterol, etc.) i probably could make adaptations and be fine. but feeling like crap isn't worth messing with my routine. LOL :smile: i have read about the I.F. and it was interesting to me. perhaps when i am not in child-bearing years i will try it, but right now, we don't use b/control and i could be preg at any time, so i try really hard to eat on schedule just in case. trust me, if anyone had ever felt the way i do and the sickness i get if i don't eat properly, they would understand!

I understand. I'm the same way, so are my mom and my daughter. We all eat 6 times a day, it's what we need to do to feel well. And yes, we have all been to the doctor. We do not skip meals or snacks. Ever.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

And I've heard plenty of fit people spout some absolutely whackadoodle nonsense. I think basing your dietary decisions on what someone else looks like is a very foolish thing to do.

And I think deflecting good, solid information on a silly point like this is irresponsible.

For the record, I agree with what you're saying. I base my choices on other things entirely...but unfortunately, the majority of the people on this forum, don't. And so...I used the most effective means available to reinforce the information.

Very simple.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Yes it is long i agree, but well worth a read when you have time :smile:
    Great site too lots of good info, even if you don't want to do intermittent fasting.

Agreed... it was well worth the read! Thanks Sniperzzzz
  • Salvi30
    Salvi30 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    try it and see if it works for you. I don't think it is necessary

best comment here!

I will add...that I personally eat every 2.5 to 3 hours...I do this to keep from over eating...and because I am hungry all the time..

That's a completely different issue. Adherence/individual preferences are not what was being asked. She asked if meal frequency impacts metabolism - which is something that has been shown to proven false through various scientific studies.

Did you read my comment.....Take a good look at the first statment..."try it and see if it works for you. I don't think it is necessary"

I also don't think it's necessary....
    IT SAYS BEST COMMENT HERE....and I was quoted the whole thing...

I just wanted to add why I personally do it..

Have a nice day

You have a nice day, too =)
  • superstankazz
    superstankazz Posts: 193
    Options
    I have had a nutrionalist tell me that you should eat every 3 hours to keep your metabilism going. Eat 3 meals and 2 snacks and space them every 3 hours. Do you guys agree or not? There are times I would rather save those 150 calories for my next meal rather than a snack.
    You could always try the small, frequent meal idea out yourself for a few weeks and see what kind of results you get.
  • wiccanwen
    wiccanwen Posts: 2
    Options
    This is how I eat (or try to anyway) but I am a type one diabetic and eating like this helps to keep my blood glucose levels better maintained. I say do what works for you.
  • carld256
    Options
    And I think deflecting good, solid information on a silly point like this is irresponsible.

For the record, I agree with what you're saying. I base my choices on other things entirely...but unfortunately, the majority of the people on this forum, don't. And so...I used the most effective means available to reinforce the information.

Very simple.

I don't care for being called irresponsible, but arguing this is pretty pointless so I'm editing out my original reply. I will admit that my attempt to be humorous in my first reply probably missed the mark and came off more snarky and sarcastic than I intended.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Very simple.

I didn't intend to stir up animosity, but I don't care for being called irresponsible. You told people to base a health decision on what snapshots the posters used. That's what I find irresponsible, not pointing out that that's not a very smart thing to do.

No animosity.

And the reason I did that, is because I know those three men are experienced, knowledgable, and thorough in their research. So no...in this instance, it's certainly NOT irresponsible. If it were three random strangers, my post would have been different.

I think we are both right here, but the point I was making...is that it's not like I used a picture of three thin men to promote the benefits of very low calorie diets. What you did, was picked how I made the point, over the content of the point. That is the part I feel is irresponsible.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options

You don't think there might be a correlation between people who are able to get their bodies into great shape, and people who have knowledge of nutrition and physiology? I know I don't ask morbidly obese folks for fitness advice. Have I been doing it wrong?
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Here's my view on it - not directed at you or anyone in particular.

Could an obese person know a lot about nutrition/training? Sure. They may very well have a valid reason for being obese despite their knowledge. But is it likely that they do? Probably not in most cases in my opinion.

Could a very fit person know a lot about nutrition/training? Sure, particularly if they were once fat and dieted down. Does it mean everything they say is correct? No, for one thing they could just be confusing correlation with causation.
    On the other hand, that very fit person could have just as well been very fit throughout life (one of the genetically gifted that easily drops fat and gains muscle), and every thing they say and advise to others is utterly wrong. Which is not to imply that every genetically gifted individual is clueless - it's just one factor to consider.

So that's the point I was getting at in my previous post, genetics tend to complicate things (and other factors). Add drugs into that mix and you further complicate it, which results in only more confusion and bad news (i.e. young men trying to mimic exactly what the drugged-up and genetically superior professional bodybuilders do)

Bottom line: don't believe anything you hear from anyone as gospel, despite what they look like.
  • carld256
    Options

You don't think there might be a correlation between people who are able to get their bodies into great shape, and people who have knowledge of nutrition and physiology? I know I don't ask morbidly obese folks for fitness advice. Have I been doing it wrong?

No, I'm saying that being fit doesn't automatically make you an expert in nutrition, and making a health decision based on a snapshot someone uploaded to a web forum is a really bad idea. They might be posting great information, but they might not.
  • teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what I wanted to know. THANKS!!

That's a completely different issue. Adherence/individual preferences are not what was being asked. She asked if meal frequency impacts metabolism - which is something that has been shown to proven false through various scientific studies.
  • teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yikesidnt mean to start an argu:ohwell: ement