Fruit Consumption = to much sugar?

Options
The fruit I eat is causing me to go over my sugars before I have even had dinner, I still have allot of calories left but i'm way over my sugar intake any suggestions?

My food diary is open if you need to look.

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Sugar is only one part of carbs. If you do not have insulin issues you don't really need to worry too much about exceeding one part of carbohydrates.

If you do want to go lower, change your fruit. Bananas are one of the highest in sugar (and a serving is 1/2 a banana so a whole one you are having 2 servings of the highest in sugar content fruit). Stay at the top of the list below.

Fruits Lowest in Sugar
    Small Amounts of Lemon or Lime
    Rhubarb
    Raspberries
    Blackberries
    Cranberries

Fruits Low to Medium in Sugar
    Strawberries
    Casaba Melon
    Papaya
    Watermelon
    Peaches
    Nectarines
    Blueberries
    Cantaloupes
    Honeydew melons
    Apples
    Guavas
    Apricots
    Grapefruit

Fruits Fairly High in Sugar
    Plums
    Oranges
    Kiwifruit
    Pears
    Pineapple

Fruits Very High in Sugar
    Tangerines
    Cherries
    Grapes
    Pomegranates
    Mangos
    Figs
    Bananas
    Dried Fruit, such as dates, raisins, dried apricots, and prunes
  • Lushaholic
    Lushaholic Posts: 62
    Options
    Thank you, this helps alot I will try and eat more of the lower sugar content fruit, and if it still going over by a small amount im going to assume its better to go over my sugars eating fruits then junk?
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    I love bananas :sad: does this mean I shouldn't be eating them? I tend to have one a day :frown:
  • juliegin
    juliegin Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I go way over too every day because of this, and it has not affected my weight loss/maintenance. I pay attention to calories more. I wouldn't sweat it really unless you are not losing weight, in which case then you need to maybe analyze the levels you are consuming of other things too like sodium, and other nutrients also.
  • SinuousNihilist
    Options
    Bump.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    The fruit I eat is causing me to go over my sugars before I have even had dinner, I still have allot of calories left but i'm way over my sugar intake any suggestions?

The biggest single contributor I see to your sugar total is milk. I switched to almond milk (unsweetened vanilla) a while back (except in my coffee) to reduce my sugar. It contains 0g of sugar, as opposed to the 11g in dairy milk.
  • Lushaholic
    Options
    I to love bananas, I love fruit, I have considered eating only fruit forever lol
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Best advice I could give here, don't track sugar. Like someone said, it is part of your carbs. Unless you have an underlying medical condition, then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Thank you, this helps alot I will try and eat more of the lower sugar content fruit, and if it still going over by a small amount im going to assume its better to go over my sugars eating fruits then junk?

Definitely, but not because of the type of sugar (that makes no difference). Junk has excessive fat, and generally very little nutritional value. Fruit is nutritious, and has negligible fat.
  • Elliemage
    Elliemage Posts: 25
    Options
    As long as your sugar is coming predominantly from fruit, I wouldn't worry about it much. Fruit as a whole is AMAZING for you- it has so many great nutrients in it. Staying away from sugars added into things like drinks and as part of processed foods is much more important than avoiding fruit. Concentrate on eating below your calorie limit and on eating mostly whole foods and I wouldn't worry about much else :)
  • Lushaholic
    Options

The biggest single contributor I see to your sugar total is milk. I switched to almond milk (unsweetened vanilla) a while back (except in my coffee) to reduce my sugar. It contains 0g of sugar, as opposed to the 11g in dairy milk.

This is probably a really stupid question, but: does it have the same amount of protein? I'm a fairly new Vegetarian ( Ethical reasons not weight loss) so dairy is one of my main sources of protein.
  • Dawnh999
    Dawnh999 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also love bananas. I will just cut back a bit on them. I love pears as well
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    Fruit is just sugar.

The only thing fruit does for you is give you carbohydrates - sugar.

OK, it has a couple of vitamins, but so what? Any good green vegetables, not to mention any good piece of beautiful meat, utterly eclipses any trivial "vitamin" benefit in fruits.

If you must eat fruit, eat strawberries.

Interestingly strawberries are the one thing you can eat with the highest ratio of apparent sweetness, to actual carbohydrates.

(After strawberries, other berries.)

NEVER, EVER eat things like bananas. A typical whole banana has like FIFTY grams of carbs, for God's sake.

We were never "meant" to eat bananas, they are an utterly unnatural food imported from the far tropics.

Incredibly, an enormous HUNDRED GRAM serving of strawberries, has only a tiny say 5 or 7 grams of carbs.

THAT IS NOT A TYPO, read it again and check it up on calorieking or whatever.

Get facts on your side!

So a strawberry snack, say a huge 50 gram bowl of strawberries, gives you a massive sweet kick to the human olfactory / gustation / orthonasal / retronasal / chemesthesis systems .. and you've only eaten literally 3 or 4 carbs. Whereas eating a banana, which does not "seem" as sweet as a bowl of strawbs, has an insane FIFTY or much more grams of carbs.

If you're trying to lose fat, eating a banana is almost crazy.

Reach for the strawberries.

After gourmet strawberries, you have other gourmet berries like blackberries and blueberries - yum.

After that, what about some watermelon? Look at the figures. You can munch a huge 100 gram slice of watermelon and you get very few carbs or calories.

I like what researcher Gary Taubes says about fruit juice: "It is sugar, with some water in it, and a little multivitamin mixed in. The only thing worse for you that fruit juice is more fruit juice."

Get science and facts on your side! Eliminate fat!

LOOK at the carb grams contained in fruit before you eat it.

KNOWLEDGE is power -- don't act on vague rumours.

If you must eat fruit, eat strawberries, the "miracle" fruit.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options

This is probably a really stupid question, but: does it have the same amount of protein? I'm a fairly new Vegetarian ( Ethical reasons not weight loss) so dairy is one of my main sources of protein.

I am a vegetarian too. Do you like soy milk?
  • Lushaholic
    Options

I am a vegetarian too. Do you like soy milk?

I don't know I have never tried it.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Fruit is natural and still good for you. Don't listen to the guy who's saying to eliminate fats. I tend to think that eating a piece of fresh fruit is a better alternative to junk food any day. I don't track my sugars anymore - I have a frozen fruit w/ water smoothie every morning, i eat an apple almost every day, I have a banana occasionally (only because I prefer it in a certain smoothie I make that is not all fruit). I happen to LOVE raspberries which are super high in fiber, so bonus!
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    The nutritional benefits are worth it. I never knew someone who gained weight eating plenty of fruits and veggies! Seriously, if you think about it you could nitpick every kind of food out there and find a way to deem it "unhealthy". Fruits are loaded with vitamins and they are not bad for you. If you are eating a truckload a day maybe but unless you have some other medical condition don't worry about it!
  • SummerAlaina
    SummerAlaina Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've read quite a bit about sugar, and from what I've read I have come to understand that you should not worry too much about the sugar you are consuming from fruit or dairy. What you should be watching instead, is the added sugar consumed from mostly processed foods and drinks. Granted, if you are eating tons of fruit it can cause problems as well, but a few servings a day are nothing to be concerned about..
  • SummerAlaina
    SummerAlaina Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Also, what the guy above says about fruit juice is true, yet he failed to mention that part of the reason for that is all of the ADDED sugar in them. He honestly seems a bit obsessive about carbs. Sure you need to cut back on carbs to lose weight, if you've been eating like the avaerage American previously. However, severe carb cutting is NOT the only way to lose weight.