Replies

• imogenjade
    imogenjade Posts: 131
    Options
    eat more veg instead of fruit
  • Lushaholic
    Lushaholic Posts: 62
    Options
    I am not even sure if what I am eating is considered an excessive amount of fruit , if i'm about to reach for the chips or cookies I detour myself with fruit, I really like fruit and i am eating more now then I have before but have also cut out most of the junk that I used to eat on a daily basis, hopefully when I figure out what other healthy snacks I like I won't always turn to fruit, but until then I am still staying withing my calories, carbs, fats ect, hoping this will all work itself out.
  • Lushaholic
    Lushaholic Posts: 62
    Options
    I want to congratulate you on your new journey! I remember growing up on meat and became a vegetarian when I was 15. I did it cold turkey. I never ate seafood so that wasn't a problem. I didn't like meat unless it was from McDonalds (ewwww). I was an unhealthy vegetarian. I ate too much of the processed vegetarian meats and foods. Loved cheese too! Last year I finally became a vegan! It's not easy!!!!! All you can do is take it one step at a time! One day at a time!

Don't let people get you down! I know people that call themselves vegan and eat caviar. I don't get it.

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I say eat any fruit you like whenever you want. As long as you stay within your calories you'll be fine. Bananas are wonderful and I eat them whole. Great pre-workout nutrition...potassium aids muscle contraction, the sugars provide fuel, and they digest fairly quickly. According to MFP, one medium orange in a day puts me over my sugars. Kind of ridiculous. As long as you're not eating donuts and muffins, I wouldn't stress about the sugar.

She knows from whence she speaks. Fruit is filled with great stuff like antioxidants and fiber as well as some sugar. It is fine in your diet within your calorie goals and in moderation. And that applies to bananas no matter what some fruitcake might post!
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    I say eat any fruit you like whenever you want. As long as you stay within your calories you'll be fine. Bananas are wonderful and I eat them whole. Great pre-workout nutrition...potassium aids muscle contraction, the sugars provide fuel, and they digest fairly quickly. According to MFP, one medium orange in a day puts me over my sugars. Kind of ridiculous. As long as you're not eating donuts and muffins, I wouldn't stress about the sugar.

^^^ I like this most. Without getting in on the broscience thing going on here, they are a must for anyone doing daily high energy burns. I am a runner and couldn't see living without bananas, preferably organic. Potassium is an absolute necessity and bananas are loaded. There's a reason these are staples for post race consumption. I eat 1-2 just about every day, along with Gala apples, Navel oranges, Kiwi, every kind of pear I can find organic and strawfreakingberries. Love love love fruits; now let's see about that dang sodium.
  • misslissa555
    misslissa555 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    No problem! :) Some people will never understand and there's nothing you can say or do to change it! Also, I use to talk to a fruitarian! All he ate was fruit! I saw him buy hummus before too. He'd eat the whole thing of fruit! So I don't see a problem with bananas! :P
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    I am not even sure if what I am eating is considered an excessive amount of fruit , if i'm about to reach for the chips or cookies I detour myself with fruit, I really like fruit and i am eating more now then I have before but have also cut out most of the junk that I used to eat on a daily basis, hopefully when I figure out what other healthy snacks I like I won't always turn to fruit, but until then I am still staying withing my calories, carbs, fats ect, hoping this will all work itself out.

This is more important than digesting the negativity over sugar in fruit.
  • omanitshann
    omanitshann Posts: 179
    Options
    Im always way over in sugar because of fruit, but I don't think you should worry about it, I don't think people can really get fat from fruit.
  • stingraycat
    stingraycat Posts: 33
    Options
    Fruit is good for you, it's added sugars that are bad (like in candy bars, etc). As long as you're over due to fruit, you're fine. Humans evolved to eat fruit. Just make sure to get veggies, too.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    The fruit I eat is causing me to go over my sugars before I have even had dinner, I still have allot of calories left but i'm way over my sugar intake any suggestions?

My food diary is open if you need to look.

The biggest single contributor I see to your sugar total is milk. I switched to almond milk (unsweetened vanilla) a while back (except in my coffee) to reduce my sugar. It contains 0g of sugar, as opposed to the 11g in dairy milk.

Actual milk (sorry, but you can't milk an almond) has many nutrients that cannot be found in these milk alternatives. Unless someone has a medical condition, they are far better off drinking dairy, especially if they are not over in net calories.

Well that's very ... uh... literal. However, cow's milk doesn't have "many nutrients" at all. As far as the naturally occurring ones, it's not a significant source of anything but calcium and protein, and it's not adequate as a primary source of protein.

It's only infants and toddlers who would suffer nutritionally from replacing dairy.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have lost 219 pounds so far. I used to wear a size 34W. I now wear a size 4. I eat a LOT of fruit including a banana every day.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Fruit is just sugar.

The only thing fruit does for you is give you carbohydrates - sugar.

OK, it has a couple of vitamins, but so what? Any good green vegetables, not to mention any good piece of beautiful meat, utterly eclipses any trivial "vitamin" benefit in fruits.

If you must eat fruit, eat strawberries.

Interestingly strawberries are the one thing you can eat with the highest ratio of apparent sweetness, to actual carbohydrates.

(After strawberries, other berries.)

NEVER, EVER eat things like bananas. A typical whole banana has like FIFTY grams of carbs, for God's sake.

We were never "meant" to eat bananas, they are an utterly unnatural food imported from the far tropics.

Incredibly, an enormous HUNDRED GRAM serving of strawberries, has only a tiny say 5 or 7 grams of carbs.

THAT IS NOT A TYPO, read it again and check it up on calorieking or whatever.

Get facts on your side!

So a strawberry snack, say a huge 50 gram bowl of strawberries, gives you a massive sweet kick to the human olfactory / gustation / orthonasal / retronasal / chemesthesis systems .. and you've only eaten literally 3 or 4 carbs. Whereas eating a banana, which does not "seem" as sweet as a bowl of strawbs, has an insane FIFTY or much more grams of carbs.

If you're trying to lose fat, eating a banana is almost crazy.

Reach for the strawberries.

After gourmet strawberries, you have other gourmet berries like blackberries and blueberries - yum.

After that, what about some watermelon? Look at the figures. You can munch a huge 100 gram slice of watermelon and you get very few carbs or calories.

I like what researcher Gary Taubes says about fruit juice: "It is sugar, with some water in it, and a little multivitamin mixed in. The only thing worse for you that fruit juice is more fruit juice."

Get science and facts on your side! Eliminate fat!

LOOK at the carb grams contained in fruit before you eat it.

KNOWLEDGE is power -- don't act on vague rumours.

I would very much recommend that readers view the below two links after reading the above post. Taubes =/= science.
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
    http://weightology.net/?p=251
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    A life without fruit would be a sad thing.

Edit: The post quoted above made my head explode. I'm dead now, thanks a lot. :sad:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    A life without fruit would be a sad thing.

Edit: The post quoted above made my head explode. I'm dead now, thanks a lot. :sad:

I try to be nice for the most part, but in this case I agree. That was a doozy.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Fruit, while not quite at the zero GI level, still generally fall into what's considered a low glycemic index range, with a GI < 55
    But is this not just an artefact of the sugar content being high in fructose ? Fructose doesn't affect the blood glucose - it's a different molecule - so doesn't register on the GI test. It does however have to be processed by the liver, which might have its own issues - http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co.uk/2008/11/fructose-index-is-new-glycemic-index.html

Vegetables with a GI of 20 and less are more to my liking as "low" GI.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    fruit sugar molecules are surrounded by vitamins/nutrients and digest in your stomach(?) and you pee/poop it out
    No, that doesn't happen. Back to biology class.
  • saraann3344
    saraann3344 Posts: 17
    Options
    bump
  • TamaraGraceS
    TamaraGraceS Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    In the past three months, I've lost 30 lbs eating a banana nearly every day. Despite current popular trendy belief, not everyone is insulin resistant, nor does everyone need to monitor carbs to lose weight. As long as you aren't shotgunning the fruit stand, I think you're ok. If you weight loss stalls, and you want to eliminate fruits to see if that helps, then by all means. But wait for there to be a problem before acting on it.

Gary Taubes seems like a lovely person. I, however, have no interest in anything the man has to say about nutrition ever. He found a diet that works for him, but it doesn't work for me and many others. Some of us would like to enjoy our fruit without having his for-profit book thumped at us as gospel.