To those big losers out there :-)

Options

Replies

• AMS58
    AMS58 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I tried running but it just wasn't really my sort of exercise. I love the gym, mainly classes, pump (weights), step (cardio) and yoga. I am also doing the 30DS.
  • LJ327
    LJ327 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss weighing 203lbs and I was scared to run on the treadmill at first. I started walking on a treadmill at a pace of 5.5km and walking up an incline from 4 to 5.5 gradually depending on how I was feeling. When I got down to about 180lbs I gradually increased to running once my confidence grew. I started at a pace of 7km and now I do between 8.5 to 9km. When I first started running I only ran for a minute at a time. I can now run for 2 minutes and then I walk for 2 minutes as I get bored of running and I find that the 2 minutes of walking gives me a chance to have a drink, change a music track and wipe the sweat from my brow! I lose around 1.8lbs a week and I run like that twice a week. I also do two Zumba classes. I probably could increase my running to 2 and a half minutes and I will probably do this if my weight loss stalls! Oh and I only ever stay on the treadmill for around half an hour.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself one of the biggest losers yet. I want to lose 103lbs. I'm only at like 60 and I have been struggling the last 8 months. I lost most of my weight in the first 6 months. This is what I did:

When I first started to work out. I walked the treadmill for around 1-2 hours a day 3 days a week. I had a 2k diet.

About 2 months in, I started strength training about 20-40 minutes 5 days a week, then walked on the treadmill 1-2 hours, 5 days a week. 1800 cal diet.

Since then I have dropped my calorie intake about 100 calories at a time to see what make me gain/lose weight. I will never ever go below 1400 calories a day. I just don't think its healthy for me.

At this time I go to the gym 6 days a week. All 6 of them I strength train alternating upper and lower body, abs and back every day. I am just starting to lift heavier and I LOVE it! That usually takes me around 1-1.5 hours. I do around 30 minutes of moderate to high intensity cardio a day. I am suppose to take Sundays off but I always end up doing a bunch of stuff around the apartment or going for a walk.
    Currently I burn around 700-1500 HRM calories a day. It is usually averages around 900 HRM calories burned per day

I found that buying an HRM is very beneficial. MFP estimates and the machines are almost always inaccurate. They overestimate by about 30-50%. I suggest one with a chest strap, Polar FT4 is what I use and has never messed up on me.

I was at a 1600 calorie intake for months and that was working for a while. Currently I am trying to boost my metabolism and raised my calorie intake to 2100 cal a day. I am really struggling to eat enough without filling my diary with junk.

I guess the best advice I can give to you is push hard. Always push yourself and never get comfortable. If your not sweating, your not working hard enough.
    Simple: Exercise and eat right. There is no secret weapon. Fad diets wont work in the long term. Just keep it easy. :)

Oh and here is a tid bit you might like: For every pound of muscle you gain, you burn an extra 50-100 calories a day just sitting there! I know it give me hope for the future that I will be able to maintain my weight later on :)
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I started at 250 and was running then, but obviously my running is sooooo much better now that im under 200.

I have now set myself a 1000 cal challenge when i go to the gym (2 x a week and I do bootcamp 4 x a week), I have to burn 250 cal on each machine and it has to be within 20 min - this includes the treadmill, stepper, crosstrainer and bike, maybe a little swim in there too.

My calorie intake is 1700 net (most days) and i'm still losing at a steady rate.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it :wink: Good luck
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I started out with walking and doing pilates and then progressed to walking/jogging intervals. After I had lost about 30 lbs., I joined a gym and did lots of classes -- kickboxing, Zumba, circuit training, hip hop dance, yoga, Centergy (a fast paced combination of yoga and pilates), barbell class (high reps, low weight), water fitness, spinning, step aerobics, etc. I went to about 4 classes per week. On the other days I would maybe do the elliptical machine, exercise bike, or do jog/walk intervals. When I was getting close to my goal weight, I started running but I've never gotten very good at it. I can run a 5K in about 38 minutes. Now 10 months into maintenance, I mainly do heavy lifting and only run occasionally.
  • pdj1220
    pdj1220 Posts: 175
    Options
    I am in a little different boat, as I have had both hips replaced. Running is not an option for me at all. I walk, started out at 325 pounds walking a mile a day, and gradually increased to 4 0r 5 miles at a 4 mph pace about 5 times a week. Lately I have been having some more joint pain, so I am back down to 2 1/2 miles, but still getting out there!
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I am .2 away from 60 lbs lost. I don't run. I do DVDs and the elliptical.
  • DeadEyedSuburbanite
    DeadEyedSuburbanite Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Seven years ago I lost a fair bit of weight, going from 270 lbs to 180 lbs. I managed to keep it off for a few years until I got married, moved to a different country and made a bunch of other lifestyle changes that sent me back up to 235 lbs :o( That's my background.

I never ran when I was losing or maintaining, but then I never got down to my ideal weight either. I did want to take up running but I couldn't find good running shoes (weirdly shaped feet) and I was worried about my joints (rheumatoid arthritis). So the main exercise while losing was weight training at the gym three times a week, cardio on an exercise bike every day and pilates classes two times a week. I found a great gym that opened at 6am. They had showers and a breakfast bar so I used to get up early, work out, shower, then eat breakfast before going to my job. I think having a gym that fit in with my lifestyle made it heaps easier and it was good to have the opportunity to change my exercise routine when boredom set in. During this time I also had an exercise bike at home.

During maintenance I swapped to walking every day (40 - 60 minutes) and pilates (at home with DVDs) four times a week. This was because I moved and couldn't find a good gym in my new area.

I think that finding a form of exercise that you enjoy and fits your lifestyle is much more important than doing a specific type of exercise. I put the weight back on again in part because I couldn't as easily fit exercise into my routines anymore.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I started on eliptical only then went 45 min on eliptical and 45 min on treadmill. I did not worry about speed just did my best. Evuentually I moved to the treadmill only 45 min to 60 minutes then kept increasing speed (HIT). Now Im purely outdoor runner and ive lost about 80lbs by running and eating right. I am looking to start some form of weight training. Oh yea and I run 5-6 days a week 8 miles each time sometime further if I can work it in. My daughter calls me obsessive.
  • theshow4jsu
    theshow4jsu Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I would say if you're new to exercise, don't start off running...too many injuries can happen. I did the elliptical and circuit trained for the first 6 months before I stepped foot onto a treadmill, and actually started running by accident. All elipticals were down for maintenance for a few days so I started running and haven't stopped. Totally addicted to running now. I love the feeling, the "runners' high." I also would add that you need to continue strength training while running. Running alone is great but injuries can arise. Make sure you are still working your legs during your weight sessions.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Running at first can hurt your legs/knees so before you start consult your doctor. I love running now though. It has helped with my weight loss but eating correctly in the right portion has helped just as much if not more. I don't run inside on the treadmill and I don't really like the gym, though I go now for lifting; they have more stuff. Running makes me feel successful in health and I feel great when I am cone. It's good for me.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I think 77 counts as being a big loser! lol! ;)

I started in Feb 2011 and did exercise bike at home almost exclusively. Maybe around April 2011 I started doing DVDs, mostly Jillian Michaels DVDs but also kickboxing DVDs. I just joined the gym this month.

I think I've gone jogging maybe 6 times in my 15 months so not much of a contributor to my weight loss. Anytime I try jogging my knees or hips start hurting. I'm sure it's because I never got proper shoes.

Good luck!
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I started running at 214.6lbs...I am now 128.0....almost to goal! Start slow..intervals. I have ran 2 half marathons and more coming up and a full in March :)
  • dizzydi1968
    dizzydi1968 Posts: 564
    Options
    I'm hoping I count as a big loser lol.

I dont run or use the gym EVER. I do 5 cardio classes per week plus extra work at home on my cross trainer (elliptical) and weights.

In my opinion there is no need to force yourself to do something you dont like just because you think you should.

You are much more likely to stick with it and achieve your goal if you find an exercise that you actually enjoy.

Good luck.
  • ShilohMaier
    ShilohMaier Posts: 135
    Options
    I dropped 130 pounds and I was so excited to start running. I always watched people out for a jog and thought it looked so peaceful and free. I was still sporting an E cup at a size 1, so running was really painful. After my breast reduction, I thought "Hurray!! I can finally try jogging!" And I hated EVERY second of it. I made myself do it every day for three weeks (21 days to form a habit they say) and never did like it. Walking and DDR are my cardio of choice :tongue:
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I didn't start running until I had lost 80 pounds. Until then most of my activity was walking with the occasional aerobic DVD.

Once I started running I got my 100 pound milestone and eventually got to my goal weight (which meant a 115 pound weight loss).

Now I run three days a week, do strength training two days a week, and do the spin bike once a week. Plus I walk on my breaks at work and every chance I have "walk" my errands, I do. Running really helped me to get those last 35 pounds off, but it's been the mix of activity that is helping me keep the weight off.

Whatever activity you decide on, make sure it's something you enjoy (or can at tolerate)! :flowerforyou:
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've lost 125 and I beleive it is due to running. In five years I went from not being able to run a minute to running 3 marathons. Start slow and you'll do fine. There are lots of running posts with lost of suggestions on them.

Some tips:
    1) Go to a running store and have them find you the best shoes for your feet and gate
    2) When running if you can't talk in a complete sentence you're running too fast
    3) Find a running buddy
    4) Sign up for a 10K and then follow a program to train for the event.

Good luck
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Hey Leah:
    Running wasn't part of my regimen, not because I didn't want it to be, but because I just can't run worth a flip. I tried several times and it just didn't work for me. I started out walking, short distances and increased speed and distance. Then added some workout video's 3 times a week, and slowly progressed to the ellipitcal which I love to do. But I dropped my membership so I am back to doing my thing walking, working out at home, dvd's and dancing.. I began this journey at 267 lbs and have dropped over 88 lbs. So it has worked for me.. Good Luck
  • emanismom
    emanismom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I'll add another log to the fire: I'm just cresting 230 lbs (on the way down, of course) and started running closer to 240.

I did nordictrack and jillian michaels' DVDs for about 4 months before I even started running (starting in Jan 2012) and kicked it off using the C25K program.

(Jillian put me in good enough shape that I was able to jump in at week 2, btw.)

I'll put in my two cents here about shoes as well: I was never EVER able to run before, regardless of weight. Then I read about barefoot running in the book "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall. I invested in a pair of Vibram "Fivefingers" shoes and I wholeheartedly credit them with my success (I can toss off a 5K - or pretty darned close to it - before breakfast now).

I would recommend reading that book and talking with as many folks as you can stomach who have run or worked with runners, too.

Good luck!

R
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!