Thinking of doing a clense, thoughts?

Options

Replies

• jennmetz
    jennmetz Posts: 20
    Options
    If you're using a cleanse to 're-educate' your mind and body, and give your vital organs a break ... it's a great idea.
    If you're using a cleanse as a radical way to lose weight, then it's glorified binging and purging.
    My husband and I just completed a 21 day cleanse/detox that is new from Beachbody (P90X, Insanity, etc)
    It was AWESOME, in that it was NOT a starve yourself while you sit by a bathroom all day and clean out your Colon type of cleanse.
    It has a very sophisticated meal plan that gradually reduces sources of inflammation (animal products, sugars, acidic foods, legumes and then grains) with supplements that support detoxification, alkalinity and healing.
    After 21 days, we became hyper aware of habits (mindless snacking), food choices, rest, substances (alcohol, caffeine, etc).
    We have resumed a VERY clean diet with limited animal proteins - and are SO on track!
    Check out my meal diary and see what we're eating.
    Feel amazing!
    Go for it!
    jenn
  • jennmetz
    jennmetz Posts: 20
    Options
    Agreed!
    A true 'cleanse' should be a reprieve from processed foods and the 'American way' of indulging primarily in animal products with produce being the garnish!
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    Just to add a little fun here

does anyone actually have the studies that show these products dont do any good? Or on the other hand do good ?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Cleanse does nothing. Most "cleanses" have clay in them that absorb water and turn black, then you eliminate that, and the cleanse makers say "Look at those nasty toxins!" when all along they put them there in the first place.

Your liver and kidneys filter out all toxins, cleanses don't do any good. In fact, most of them do harm, by killing off necessary healthy bacteria in the intestines.
  • jayrey72
    jayrey72 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Eat bran buds for breakfast. Make sure you drink TONS of water afterwards. Bran buds contain psyllium and tons of fiber - and that will clean your system and not your wallet.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    Your body is already efficient in cleansing itself so there is no need for a cleanse. Just eat healthy.
  • JustQuitIt
    JustQuitIt Posts: 38
    Options
    I work in a health food store, and I don't think there's anything wrong with doing a cleanse, it just depends what exactly you're talking about. A dietary cleanse? A supplement cleanse? For example, the Master Cleanse (cayenne, lemon juice, maple syrup and honey) DOES have substantial benefits, just not necessarily pertaining to weight loss, and shouldn't really be done unless you can rest while doing it.
    There's nothing wrong with a two-week supplemental cleanse, things like dandelion and milk thistle just aid your liver and kidneys and absolutely do not harm the beneficial bacteria in your intestines.
  • ndskies
    ndskies Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Everybody is going to tell you it's a horrible idea.

I did one when I started this diet. I did one day clear liquids, one day nothing but water, then drank the stuff you use for a colonscopy. I flushed 13 pounds of garbage out of my system.

Note.

You're going to not lose weight for a bit after it, you can't do it on a steady basis. It's a bad idea medically. It's kind of disgusting. Go in knowing all that please.

I foresee a lot of people reading your informative and helpful post as "Blah, blah, blah, I flushed 13 pounds, blah, blah, blah. " People will try the darnedest thing hoping for a magic pill.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of nay-sayers but I'll go ahead and admit that I tried a commercially-available colon cleanse for like a month and a half and I felt much better afterwards. It claims to allow you to digest your food more efficiently by increasing the available surface are of your colon after all the undigested meat and other waste had been removed.

I will say this...I saw results. I saw results in multiple places:

1. I saw a dramatic increase in the type and quantity of waste material when I evacuated my bowels during the several week process.
    2. I did feel increased energy while eating less food during this process.
    3. I did have some weight loss (about half of which I did NOT gain back), although that was not the purpose in doing the cleanse.

Also, keep in mind there were several other factors involved including cessation of consuming red meat during that time, drinking herbal teas which came with the product, and slightly more exercise and water consumption than I normally did during those days.

Now having said all that, any of you who want to complain about me or my experience...go right ahead. I could give a **** (more efficiently now, in fact) and I'm probably not going to waste my time checking this thread again to hear the feedback.

Y'all take care now, ya hear!

:happy:
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I did 7 straight days of the xayekim cleanse !

I felt like crap the first 3 days, I sweated and smelled funny for no reason.

I went from eating fast food daily and guzzling down coca cola products like they were my source of life !

I just ate nothing but....

lean chicken, turkey.... lots of salad without dressing. Fruits, veggies and nothing but water to drink for 7 days.

I lost like 5 lbs, I started to sleep better felt a complete shift.

I started to bring back in other foods like breads, grains and sugary crap later but it was just cold turkey and it worked. Give it a shot.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My colon is fine, but I need a brain bleach cleanse after reading about the s-shaped poops.

Mine is shaped like a hexagon...is that wrong??

:laugh: I almost spit my coffee on my laptop :laugh:

I am with those who feel that cleanses do nothing but make you lose water weight and money. Kick off your diet by focusing on eliminating the junk foods first then work on adding in nutritious substitutes. Make the changes gradual so you don't feel overwhelmed. It is a lifestyle change, not a quick diet :wink:
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I did a Dr. Natura cleanse that is all natural with ingredients like psyllium husk and papaya. It was very helpful. I just ate as I normally do, lots of whole grains and veggies, no meat, less dairy. I did not do it to lose weight but to rid my gut of bad bacteria and parasites. Cleanses get a bad name. Whatever. I think certain ones are great.
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I did a cleanse recently.
    I think it had something to do with eating LOTS of fresh pineapple.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    save money drink water,and eat thing that make you poop!:smokin:
  • SinuousNihilist
    Options
    I'm doing a clense of sorts soon. It's more of a dietary clense than anything...I have bad digestive issues and the plan I'm going for eliminates all sorts of things (gluten/yeast/wheat/dairy/most sugars/salt/sodium-laced herbs/soda/artificial/processed foods/unsafe fats) so that after the initial 2 weeks, you can begin to re-incorporate these items back into your diet and track your body's reaction to them. It isn't a crazy clense either...lots of protein involved, snacks, healthy and well-rounded dinners, etc. No expensive products to buy, save for some flax seed oil and a diet-friendly protein powder found in most grocery stores.

It's sort of a re-teaching of your brain and your body to eating healthy. I don't in any way think that it's a waste of my time or money. Might miss some foods, but they can be brought back after.

Think about the reasons why you want to go on these clenses and keep your goals in mind. :)
  • elizabethmae1214
    Options
    Best, most effective cleanse out there:

Electric-Showers.jpg
    +
    coconut-soap_l.jpg
    +
    Glove_Square_With_Handle.jpg

Your liver and kidneys work quite well at all of the internal cleansing.

LOL!

I'm anti cleanse. I know people who are on yo-yo cleanse cycles. It's like they get addicted to the fast "results" then shoot back the other way and repeat. Can't be good for you.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My colon is fine, but I need a brain bleach cleanse after reading about the s-shaped poops.
    Same.

I don't think it'll hurt anything, but I also don't think it is at all necessary. To each his own.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

I went from eating fast food daily and guzzling down coca cola products like they were my source of life !

lean chicken, turkey.... lots of salad without dressing. Fruits, veggies and nothing but water to drink for 7 days.

I started to bring back in other foods like breads, grains and sugary crap later but it was just cold turkey and it worked. Give it a shot.
    You probably smelled funny because you went into a ketotic state from starving yourself. After eating all that fast food, you were probably on your way to having a fatty liver. That doesn't sound safe at all to quit eating that abruptly. I am glad you are feeling better, but I wouldn't do that again if I were you!
  • renee7733
    renee7733 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have done the 10 day herbal cleanse from Advocare and have lost 4 pounds. Cleansing is matter of preference and it has helped me push pass the plateau I was experiencing in lossing weight . This cleanse is not a harrass one and it gives you the feeling of cleanliness on the inside.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options

You probably smelled funny because you went into a ketotic state from starving yourself. After eating all that fast food, you were probably on your way to having a fatty liver. That doesn't sound safe at all to quit eating that abruptly. I am glad you are feeling better, but I wouldn't do that again if I were you!

Its funny you say fatty liver because I did have a fatty liver. And no I was not starving myself whatsoever I was getting to my calories max every day. I was just eating all healthy food and this was advised by my doctor, there is nothing wrong with going cold turkey literally and eating healthier food.

Last time I had my liver checked, the fatty liver was reduced and it is a work in process.