Worst advice given to you by a "professional"

Options

Replies

• Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    The worst advice given to me was by my past physician who I replaced with my current physician who works with me to understand my body and has given me access to the knowledge to help me accomplish my goals. I originally was told that I don't have to ask questions, just do what I'm telling you which was "lose weight".
  • SinuousNihilist
    Options
    I have another one!

I was pretty young and always in relatively great shape, save for a cold here or there. So, I started having symptoms of being unable to pee, bladder clenches, feeling the need to pee all the time (sound familiar?).

My pediatrician at the time scared the hell out of me by telling me I had a serious problem and that I needed to get over to emergency blood tests right away!

Turns out I was just having my very first bladder infection and I was overreacting. Ugh! lol

To his credit, he's a very good pediatrician overall. Got my little brother off steroids and breathing medications for his severe asthma. My niece and nephew see him now. :)
  • SinuousNihilist
    Options
    I guess it counts that when I was born, I was early and itty bitty. Mom had no pre-natal care, smoked and drank all during pregnancy ( it was the 60's, most women did) Anyway I was having seziures.

The dr told mom it would go away, there was nothing wrong with me. Mom knew this was because of the fact she had no insurance. They told her the last test was a spinal tap, and it was very expensive, how would she pay.

She started screaming and yelling down the ward, and refused to leave with me. They did the test.

I had a raging infection throughout my body and probably would have been dead within the week.

Thanks Mom!!:flowerforyou:

Awww. Strangely heartwarming, lol. Thanks mom, indeed! No worries, my grandma "smoked like a chimney pipe" all through her pregnancies. I think my dad turned out pretty alright.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I have iron deficiency anemia and I have issues absorbing iron so for a while I was getting iron infusions. I was 9 months pregnant and I had borderline pre-ecclampsia and was on bedrest. I went ahead and went to the cancer center to get my iron infusion. I had a splitting headache and wasn't feeling well. The nurse checked my blood pressure before starting and it was 160/105 (which is over the limit set by my OB before I had to go to the hospital). They waited an hour and checked it again and it was still high. I told them it was too high and If it stayed high I needed to call my ob and head to the hospital. The nurser practitioner I had been seeing comes up to me and says that she thinks it's basically all in my head and I'm just nervous about being there (even though I've had plenty of iron infusions before!) and that she wasn't going to let them re-check my blood pressure. As soon as she walked away I started crying and told the nurses I couldn't do it. Left and went to the hospital. Ended up being in the hospital for a couple days. My blood pressure spiked so high they nearly did and emergency c-section. Finally came down with meds.

Fast forward to a couple months later when I go back to get my iron infusion. They gave me the test dose of the medicine (which they do every time to make sure you don't have a bad reaction). I had a severe adverse reaction that basically felt exactly like a heart attack and the worst back spasms I've ever felt. I started praying because everything was starting to go dark, I couldn't breathe and I literally thought I was dying. They threw all kinds of meds down my iv and after a while it subsided and I was sitting there drugged out of my mind. That same nurse practitioner came up and said "I think she's fine to get the infusion. Her blood oxygen is fine." So they did the infusion! Over the next few days I started having delayed allergic reactions and went to my normal doctor. They were shocked and immediately put me on heavy steroids to stave off the reactions. Come to find out after doing further research that lots of people who had the same reaction I did ended up dead or in the hospital in critical condition.

I haven't been back to that hematologist's office since!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Fast forward to a couple months later when I go back to get my iron infusion. They gave me the test dose of the medicine (which they do every time to make sure you don't have a bad reaction). I had a severe adverse reaction
    So they did the infusion! ...
    Glad you're not going back! That's amazing... test for a reaction. Get it. Then ignore it!
    There's a reason for protocols like that test.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind the "kind" of "professional"...

...in some locations, anyone can call themselves a "trainer" or "nutritionist" -- with absolutely no education or training in how provide those services.

It may have changed, but some medical programs used to require no training in nutrition.

And as we all know, there are many people out there who seem unable to say, "I don't know." Of course there are also many people who take their jobs seriously, continuously learning how to do it better and willing to coordinate with someone that has more expertise to solve problems. This applies to all professionals... from a brain surgeon to the florist down the street.
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I weighed 230 lbs, am 5'2" and was in a size 18 -20 jeans. I was curvy, chubby, etc. However, my new physician in MA at that time suggested I get the Lap Band. Um...Yeah I looked at her like she had another head and said, "How about I try the natural way with diet and exercise?" I think she was an idiot. I don't believe in gastric bypass or lap band unless you cannot even remotely move. I think they are unhealthy and dangerous. At the size I was, there was NO way I needed that.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    "Give me your money and I will tell you things you could Google for free."

The honesty was--at least--refreshing.
  • SarahElizabeth416
    SarahElizabeth416 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had a physician tell me when I was 8 years old that I would never be allowed to drink any kind of juice again if I wanted to lose weight.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    "Give me your money and I will tell you things you could Google for free."

The honesty was--at least--refreshing.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That's hilarious
  • AmyLyn1983
    AmyLyn1983 Posts: 100
    Options
    Several yrs ago I had noticed a new strange bump on my back right shoulder. It didn't go away, so of course, I went to my family phys to have it chkd. I was told it was a cyst. Don't worry about it. Several months later, it was still there and turned bluish colored. Went back to same doc. Again told it was nothing, he wouldn't even remove it. I "had a feeling" and kept pestering him until he referred me to another doc. This doc also told me it was a cyst but due to my persistance he removed it. After the normal biopsy was completed, the doc realized this was no ordinary bump and sent me to James Cancer Center in Columbus, Ohio. Yep, cancer. Cutaneous Leiomyosarcoma to be exact. I'm cancer free now and thankfully because it was caught so early, I didn't need any chemo/radiation.
    Yeah.....good thing I listened to my gut instinct and not the professionals. SO thankful for that! :smile:
  • stablesong
    stablesong Posts: 224
    Options
    A gynecologist once told me that, for my intense periods when I was 14, she couldn't put me on birth control but I could have a hormonal period controller. When it gave me mood swings, she suggested I see a therapist.

Then of course my mother dragged me to a counselor and a psychiatrist, who kicked me out of her office after five minutes for "interrupting" and said there was no way I could not be depressed and that I needed medication immediately. Didn't ever get it, I'm fine now. I mean, everyone has bad days and I have anxiety issues sometimes, but I am absolutely not clinically depressed.

I've mostly had trouble with doctors, but never fitness/nutrition stuff. I asked my pediatrician in 6th grade how much people should weigh, and she told me about 100 lbs at 5'0, and for every inch add or subtract 5 pounds. That's stuck with me for a while. It may be true, I have no idea, but it's made it suck for me because 85 pounds on me is nearly impossible to achieve but it's hard for me to mentally get rid of that number.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    My favourite gynecologist, bless her soul got Breast cancer and stopped practicing, so I went to see her colleague about my PCOS. She told me that I was going to get cancer and die. Yep.

On a lighter note, my trainer told me not to eat carbs at dinner. I understand not overloading on carbs at dinner, but cutting them out altogether? That's stupid. Especially since I normally don't feel quite satisfied unless there's a small amount of carbs to accompany the protein!
  • stablesong
    stablesong Posts: 224
    Options
    I forgot about breaking my collarbone in 6th grade. I fell in the driveway and landed on my side. The pain was unbearable and I couldn't move my shoulder. I went next door to my grandmother's and my great-aunt who is a nurse checked me out. She told me it was just bone bruising and there was no way it was broken. I tried every muscle cream, OTC painkiller, etc, possible because nobody believed that it was broken because of her. It took my mom four days to take me to the doctor for an x-ray.
  • Timkoetta
    Timkoetta Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    When I was 20 weeks pregnant with my son I started itching, but a doctor told me it was PUPPPS (a skin condition you get when you're pregnant). After 2 weeks of scratching myself to bleeding and crying I went to the ER.... the ER doc came in for 2 seconds and told me I had some problem I can't even remember to pronounce. I asked "What's that" and he said "see the redness around your eyes?" I said "No, that's from me crying because I ITCH so bad! When I cry I get a raccoon mask."

"Oh. Well, then, it's scabies."

And it was.

Took 6 weeks to stop itching after the treatment.

And every doctor and nurse I saw after that made me feel SUPER self conscious every time they saw my skin. "What are these holes in your body?" .... scabies... "Was it treated?"... yes... "Is it active?" no... "Well you should get it checked, it looks like a flesh-eating virus."

:(

It wasn't.

LoL well I went to the doctor when I was prego with a rash on my legs that itched REALLY bad, driving me crazy. The doctor told me I had scabies and gave me a cream (which didnt work bc I didnt have scabies) so a few weeks later I went to another doctor and he said it was just REALLY dry skin and he told me what kind of lotion to get and BAM it was better within days. He also said that the cream the other doctor gave me was not good for pregnant women.
  • lulu9663
    lulu9663 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I stepped on a broken bottle once (I had shoes on). I panicked and made my friend pull it out, and then blood started flowing into my shoe, and it was completely soaked. My friend drove me to the hospital on our military base, and I got a civilian triage nurse in the ER to check me in. They wrapped my foot befoe she saw it, so the blood wouldn't get on the floor. When she finally came in the room, she said "Quit crying, it's just a scratch." Turns out, the spike on the broken bottle had completely severed the arch of my foot in half. It had gone in to the bone. I almost punched that nurse in the face on my way out, after getting several stitches of course.
  • d_89
    d_89 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me that:

1. I should not eat more than 2 fruits per day because they had too much sugar
    2. I should never ever eat past 7pm (keep in mind I usually finish training @ the gym at 7:30pm)
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    my entire childhood my mom would tell my doc every year that she was concerned about the fact that I was always cold and that I couldnt stand anything to touch my neck. EVERY year the doc said 'some kids are like that, dont worry, we will get her thyroid checked if it continues. I was 17 and they were looking for something completely different when they found out my thyroid was very very low, turns out nodules and hashimodos.

At 23 I was in very good health and active. all of the sudden I had no energy to do anything, started sleeping all day, gained a lot of weight all at once and had memory problems and period so bad I would throw up and pass out every month. First doc said women need to learn to deal, periods pain is all in your head and an excuse to eat what you want and be a pain in the *kitten*. was bounced to gastroenterologist, hematologist, oncologist another gynecologist, back to my regular endocrinologist, all found something slightly bad to diagnose me with that didnt explain my symptoms or their sudden onset. After adding Hemachromotosis and B12 malabsorbtion to my list of diagnosis' my endocrinologist finally said that these things happen as you grow older.
    BTW my gynecologist suggested I might have endometreosis too, but told me that since I am already on the pill and it helps with my pain a little, I no longer pass out, theres no point in doing the test since there isnt more she can do. and the only way to fix it is to have many children since symptoms go away during pregnancy!
  • TheCuriosity
    TheCuriosity Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A doctor gave me a serious complex when i was 17, weighed 135lbs at 5"4 and told me I was 15lbs over weight....Uhhh...that's a helathy BMI and back then I was mostly muscle...What the heck?!

I had a Fitness Trainer do that to me when I was 16 and joined a gym. At the time weighed 136 lbs and was 5"5 and he told me that I was over weight and needed to weigh around 110 lbs. I was already pretty thin and muscular, but I totally took his word as 100% accurate and started to think of myself as a 'beached whale'.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Went to an evil gyno once. Upon meeting me, she immediately told me I was fat and needed to lose weight. (Hi nice to meet you too...) she then went over my fasting blood test and told me that my blood sugar was high (89) and so was my bp (95/60) and it was because I am fat and need to lose weight. She was trying to scare me thin. She didn't realize that I had a heart problem,have gone to a cardiologist my entire life, knew my bp was normally low. I then told her that normal blood sugar range is 80-120 and asked how 89 was high. She said, "Oh you know what normal ranges are?" Needless to say, I told her she was a rude quack, refused to pay for the appointment, and never went back.

Oh then called my pcp and told them how awful she was to me and thanked them for the awful referral.