How do you go about eating Spaghetti?

Options

Replies

• xlolitabandita
    Options
    I don't really eat it much anymore. I've replaced it with chicken breast, some broccoli or peppers and some sauce with a little cheese. Way lower on carbs and about 300-350 calories for a pretty large plate. When I do eat it, I either use ground turkey or the leanest beef I can find and whole grain pasta.
  • smkcx
    smkcx Posts: 69
    Options
    I've cut it out completely, because I love pasta and I cant limit myself when it comes to spaghetti. o.O
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I burn enough extra calories to make up for it on the days I want it.
  • vondeez
    vondeez Posts: 6
    Options
    I eat my spaghetti in a bowl, seems like more than it actually is.
  • Savoir
    Savoir Posts: 1
    Options
    :happy: I have found that if you use either the Whole Wheat pasta or Smart White pasta with fiber added it works best for me. I try to choose either lean ground turkey or lean ground beef. Try and add extra veggies such as zucchini,squah,greenpeppers,and onions. My family loves Spaghetti so to just cut it out of my life NOT going to happen.lol

The other options is the Smart Ones dinners are good(290cal.). I have tried their Spagetti and it is good.. Michelina has a Spaghetti with meat suace frozen dinner and it is pretty good as well(280cal.)
    Hope this helps some!!!
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I buy Fiber Gourmet pasta. It's 40% lower in calories, high in fiber and tastes WONDERFUL! I've tried shirataki noodles once because of the super low calorie count (40 cals for an entire bag full I hear?), but the texture was disgusting and the smell was nasty. The flavor was neutral but I couldn't get passed the texture, it was awful. After that, I found Fiber Gourmet, which is great because it's real pasta, but higher in fiber and lower in cals. They also have low cal/high fiber crackers, as well as 2 kinds of desserts (brownie and cinnamon crumb cake). :)

I've stopped using regular pasta because the portion size is ridiculous for the amount of calories, I think. Not only that, but even whole wheat doesn't provide as much fiber as FiberGourmet pasta, so that's pretty cool. The only downside is that it can be kinda spendy... of course, my health is most important, and I'd much rather pay an extra couple dollars for a good tasting pasta and be FULL than to pay a dime for high cal pasta and be hungry 10 mins later. But that's just me. :)

I've also heard of spaghetti squash. I was SO excited about that, I HAD to try it one day - was a major let down. I tried cooking it 3 different ways, and I just didn't like it. Of course, I'm not a squash or melon type of person, so my opinion barely counts lol

mmmm... pasta.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    they sell pasta measurers where you put it in a container and the top adjusts to measure out a serving.
    shirataki noodles aren't so good as a spaghetti dish substitute but they are good noodles in a stir fry dish, and no carbs or calories
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I use whole wheat spaghetti, watch my carbs throughout the day and enjoy! I also make sure that I dont eat it too late at night. Otherwise If I want it I eat it, just not as much as I used to!
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    fill 2/3 of dinner plate with fresh green salad, very light on the dressing. Side of pasta.

200 calories for a 2oz (dry) serving of pasta is not bad. While getting the water boiling to cook it, I break out my food scale and take the few seconds to weigh out 2oz of dry pasta and set it aside. Measuring cup for the sauce.

I live alone and am only cooking for myself on a regular basis, so that does remove some complications.
    I weight and/or measure everything I eat at home now. Food scale is wonderful and fast to use.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Lucky for me, this Italian girl has always hated most pasta, spaghetti is the worst. Might be because that is about all my mama cooked, just got so tired of it. Now, I can't stand it.
  • Janice032557
    Janice032557 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried spaghetti squash? It looks like spaghetti but is a veggie. Add pasta sauce and you are good to go.
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Dreamfields low carb pasta. Great tasing and very low carbs in comparison to other brands. Also like others have said, ground turkey or veggie crumbles will add great taste without all the nasty fat.

http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/
  • mmbax06
    mmbax06 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody! I have a weight watchers scale and went ahead and measured it out. lol. It's a pain in the butt, but I guess I have to do it.
  • OregonShell
    OregonShell Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite dishes is to take a Jennie O turkey sausage, fresh zuccini, summer squash, fresh tomatoes and diced onions saute them in a skilliet with itallian seasonings and a little olive oil and in a small pan cook up 2 oz of Speghitti or angel hair pasta ( I break it in thirds to make it look like more) I add a little garlic to the water to flavor the noodles.. drain pasta and toss into the sausage veggie mix serve and sprinkle lightly with a little Provolone or light low fat fine grated motzeralla cheese and enjoy the veggies are low in Calories and the whole thing makes a huge serving for under 400 calories....

Sometimes I also mix speghitti noodles and speghitti squash.. Yummy
    :drinker: :happy:

Also Orzo noodles are great they look like rice but are pasta and 2 oz is a large serving.. Bon Appitite
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Try to advoid foods such as white rice, spaghetti (pasta type foods in general) unless you are doing multiple cardio sessions per week. These foods and related contain lots of complex carbs and will spike your insulin for a longer duration than simple carbs (simple carbs = bad) . As with all carbs you should avoid consuming them after 6pm (3-4 hours before bedtime). These foods however are great for runners as they replace dimminished glucose stores which are lost rapidly during cardio (more so long distance cardio). Start your day off with carbs and try to see them as fuel. Your goal is to keep only enough fuel in the tank to get you to tomorrow.

what? no carbs after 6?! that may work for some people, but should not be touted as a hard and fast rule. personally, i am quite carb sensitive, and do best if i reserve my carbs for the last couple hours of the day, so that i can sleep through the spike/crash/cravings, and it's working great for me. if i followed your advice, i'd either never eat another carb, or weigh 300lbs! she didn't ask whether/when she should eat spaghetti-- only the best way to go about portioning.
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It's a pain....but I measure what I am going to cook, and then I measure it after I cook it, and from the portion I divide it to see how many calories. It sucks but I'm getting used to doing things like that so I can be more accurate with my calorie count.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I usually use spaghetti squash. Or, sometimes, I just eat the noodles, log it and move on.
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    they sell pasta measurers where you put it in a container and the top adjusts to measure out a serving.
    shirataki noodles aren't so good as a spaghetti dish substitute but they are good noodles in a stir fry dish, and no carbs or calories

ooh where!?
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I use a fork. I'm not a 'twirl it on your spoon with your fork' kind of gal.

Yeah...I'm guessing that's not what you meant.

Plan for it. Extra exercise, eat less at other meals/snacks. I measure it cooked - usually 1 cup and eat it from a bowl because it makes it look like more!
  • BlowYourMind
    BlowYourMind Posts: 162
    Options
    Pasta can be good for you, it depends on the type, I like the vegetable pasta! I'd recommend eating it for lunch, not dinner, Bob Harper explains high amount of carbohydrates like the ones found in pasta is much better during the day for lunch rather than dinner when you're close to bed time.