Whey Protein

Replies

• akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Can someone please explain to me the point of taking Whey Protein if you are not a body builder?

I'm still rather new to fitness and supplementing, and I'm trying to figure what I need, what I don't, what's just hype, and what may actually help make me fitter and healthier. Any other tips you have would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Hey

Whey Protein is a rather convenient and in expensive form of protein (when comparing the cost per serving), if you don't meet your daily protein requirements, whey protein is an excellent way to get to those numbers without having the need to woof down some red meat and such, which by the way, is very expensive =P. But whether your a body builder, athlete or just the average person who exercises, it is a great way to effectively fuel your body and allow you to recover faster, because it is fast digesting, the protein and the amino acids that companies usually add to the blend, get straight into your blood stream and muscles as soon as it hits your digestive system =]
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Almost every place that sells it will take it back if you don't like it. Just take it back and order some better stuff.

And Wal-Mart takes everything back.
  • Amplifiedx11
    Amplifiedx11 Posts: 15 Member
    I actually like most protein powders I've bought, but hadn't purchased any from Wal-Mart until recently. Man that stuff was nasty. Sure it's cheaper than the rest, but it tasted like a garbage truck colliding with a sewage treatment plant inside my mouth.

My point is, there are others out there that taste really good, even with just water. Had I of tried that Body Fortress stuff first, I probably would have been turned off on protein powder in general. So don't worry, as they say in the advice columns, "There's plenty of fish in the sea."
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Great suggestions here already....I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard or Syntha 6. Syntha 6 is prob the best tasting one I have ever tried....once u finish that one, you should try other ones. I'm sure you'll find one you really like.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    There's a waitress at work that questioned me as to how I can drink my whey with just water , and not milk.

That's one of the reasons she's physically in terrible shape, and I'm not.

Beautiful people gotta make sacrifices.
  • 1LRoy
    1LRoy Posts: 95 Member
    Can someone please explain to me the point of taking Whey Protein if you are not a body builder?

I'm still rather new to fitness and supplementing, and I'm trying to figure what I need, what I don't, what's just hype, and what may actually help make me fitter and healthier. Any other tips you have would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Hey

Whey Protein is a rather convenient and in expensive form of protein (when comparing the cost per serving), if you don't meet your daily protein requirements, whey protein is an excellent way to get to those numbers without having the need to woof down some red meat and such, which by the way, is very expensive =P. But whether your a body builder, athlete or just the average person who exercises, it is a great way to effectively fuel your body and allow you to recover faster, because it is fast digesting, the protein and the amino acids that companies usually add to the blend, get straight into your blood stream and muscles as soon as it hits your digestive system =]

That was very helpful. Thank you!
  • yoyoannieo
    yoyoannieo Posts: 42
    big fan of whey powder and coconut milk - can barely taste the protein powder taste when they mix together :)
  • starrybay
    starrybay Posts: 15

Please need idea's how to get this down and keep it down.

Use a blender! Makes the taste better and the texture is smoother to get down. I hate the taste, too, but here's what makes it tastier to me:
    - blending chocolate whey with water and frozen mixed berries
    - blending vanilla whey with tropical or citrus fruits or peach (Frozen is best! makes the smoothie nice and cool but you can use fresh of course)
    - I have seen that people add a couple tablespoons of jell-o powder mix (like pistachio pudding powder and chocolate whey, so could also do strawberry jell-o powder and vanilla whey)

Hope that helps. Definitely always use a blender and drink them fast.... you don't want to take your time with it if you hate the taste.
  • abetterjune
    abetterjune Posts: 219
    I love me some whey protein powder!!! :D

But, I hardly ever have it in water because, yeah, a bit yucky. A few other posters already suggested some of these ideas but oh well...

MIX IT....
    with milk
    with milk and juice (higher cal, yes, but tasty)
    with plain yogurt (who needs vanilla yogurt with all that sugar when you got some whey protein powder!! don't use greek yogurt though, just doesn't mix in well)
    in smoothies (yogurt, juice, frozen fruit, milk, spinach, ice, etc)
    in home made breads, pancakes, waffles, bars
    in home made ice cream (I haven't tried this but my trainer says it's delish)

Good luck...

Also, the brand I use is sold by Lifetime Fitness. Swear I couldn't live without it
  • yoyoannieo
    yoyoannieo Posts: 42
    thanks for this topic as i just tried for the first time whey powder and natural yoghurt - Its great!!! Thanks all!!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    I mix it with milk or almond milk if I want a quick protein shake. Otherwise, I put it in smoothies with fruit or in my oatmeal in the morning. You can also use it in baking and cooking. I love making protein pancakes.
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    I mixed mine with an 8oz glass of skim milk.
  • Take the whey protein with a fast digesting carb (especially after weight training) to help your muscles absorb the protein. (Heard this from Nicole Wilkins, 2 time Ms. Olympia).

Here's my favorite recipe:
    1 scoop vanilla whey
    1/2 frozen banana
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1 cup water
    ice cubes

THIS IS SO YUMMY! Consider it my treat after an intense weight training session.
  • Whey protein with whole milk
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    I get 1/4 cup of semi milk,a cup of water, a handful of ice, a scoop of protein powder, a couple teaspoonsful of light hot chocolate powder and then either a spoon of coffee or a banana and blend. Tis yummy and healthy.
  • straitcrzyMary
    straitcrzyMary Posts: 75 Member
    I use 1 scoop of whey protein
    1 cup of unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze 35 calories
    1 tbsp of almond butter
    1 bannana
    1/2 cup of Ice

Put all in a blender and mix...

Love the taste

I use Dutch Chocolate Whey Protein Powder by MRM....
    But use what you have first...

Good luck...
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    There's a waitress at work that questioned me as to how I can drink my whey with just water , and not milk.

That's one of the reasons she's physically in terrible shape, and I'm not.

Beautiful people gotta make sacrifices.

Yes, I'm sure one glass of milk a day is all that is different between your lifestyles.

*sarcasm noted
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    i work for starbucks so i basically have an unlimited supply of whey protein in my life lol. I recently discovered putting it into oatmeal makes it super gooey and delicious (i do 2-3 scoops with 1 raw sugar, mmm)! My best friend also made banana pancakes with protein in them and said they were delicious. Smoothies are always a good option for whey protein too.
  • follmer20
    follmer20 Posts: 129 Member
    I have Jillian michaela vanilla whey protein and it also is very bad. I put one scoop of the powder, a cup of milk, 1 tbsp of cocoa powder, 1 tbsp peanut butter and about 3-4 ice cubs in a blender. It's very good that way. Tastes like peanut butter cup.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    OP - the whey you have chosen is simply one of the worst tasting on the market. Hence your problem - I've come across a few that literally make me gag as I drink them.

Now I personally work for Gaspari and get given the shakes yet still buy them if I run low anyway because they are really tasty. ON is also another fantastic high quality brand.

As for milk or water, it is down to the macro's you have available. 90 calories if you don't have 90 calories available is 90 calories too much, esp when you consider that 90 calories could be extra chicken or fish or the like in your diet or even rice or pasta or similar.

Get a shake that tastes good and it means you don't have to make the water/milk decision because it tastes great in either!