Am I the only person who thinks almond milk is useless?

Options

Replies

• cyndi2012
    cyndi2012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I add it to smoothies, oatmeal and scrambled eggs, but I don't drink it straight up. I like that it's creamier without adding calories; it's awesome mixed with oatmeal, fruit and peanut butter! I suppose I could take it or leave it, but it's my personal choice to stock it in my fridge, useless or not.
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I thought the whole purpose of milk was to add protein to the meal.. yet there's like one gram of protein in almond milk. It's basically just sugar, at least that's what I get from the nutrition facts. I mean even though it's low calorie & all, that's great, but if I'm going for non-dairy, I could pick up some light soymilk for about 60 calories and 6 grams of protein.

I don't really get why people drink it.

:huh: I don't get why it matters! Different strokes for different folks! everyone has different tastes. I drink Almond Milk, Soymilk & Skim Milk because I like all of them.:tongue:
  • SassetG
    SassetG Posts: 19
    Options
    me... but if a person is lactose in intolerance i guess its okay for them.. but depends why they close it.. because it has a different chemistry than normal milk

Why are you naked?
  • steph6229
    steph6229 Posts: 10
    Options
    I think almond milk delicious, extremely healthy and is very low calorie. I've used it to replace cows milk because that has way too many unnecessary calories; so for me cows milk is actually "useless".
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk because my wife is lactose intolerant and I don't drink 1L or 2L of milk before it expires on my own, so there's too much waste. Longer shelf life, $2 a carton, and we can share means I was willing to give almond milk a try, and I was surprisingly impressed with it. I don't drink a glass straight up, and depending on the brand, yes, some don't taste so good. But overall, I'm really happy with it. I didn't cut out dairy or anything crazy like that, just, for me, it makes sense. I use 18% cream in my coffee, smoothies/shakes, and cooking sometimes too, and I'd drink milk if I were visiting or eating out or whatever. I just would rather not waste it. And soy is far from a health food, and best consumed in low doses.. If I have soy at all, it's partially-thawed frozen edamame for an occasional snack.
    Just curious: does anyone use the blue diamond unsweetened almond chocolate milk? I have been using the original unsweetened mostly for shakes and w/coffee, but am curious about the unsweetened chocolate. Any reviews?
    I bought it once and loved it, but it's basically the same as adding cocoa into regular unsweetened almond milk. BTW, I put it into smoothies/shakes and used it on granola (storebought, sweetened) and it was excellent on both.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Crazy talk! I love almond milk.
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    i love it, tastes better then dairy milk to me.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    The one that isn't sweet = useless. The one that is sweetened = FREAKIN' DELICIOUS!

lol! yep!!

I actually used to drink a rather ridiculous amount of regular (cow) milk when my bf pointed out it might be what was causing my stomach issues, so I switched to almond not for the nutritional value because I can't have soy and wanted to still enjoy things like cereal, or "chocolate milk" sometimes! I love almond milk! (and yes, the stomach issues vanished for me!)
  • AngelinaMoore04
    Options
    Nope. I am with you on that. It creates mucus and I just feel more bloated and tired personally when I consume it. I drink rice and almond milk instead and so do my kiddos. There are far more negatives than positives when it comes to health regarding milk. You just don't hear about it because milk is so heavily promoted.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk because I have a sensitivity to dairy. Almond milk also has more "good fats" than regular milk. You want to stay away from eating or drinking soy in large amounts, because soy can cause problems with estrogen levels in the body (in both men and women).
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i agree to some extent with the OP: usually i reject almond milk for the reason that it doesn't have very much protein compared to soymilk. if the store is out of the unsweetened soymilk i prefer, i'll grab a carton of almond milk, but just to tide me over until the store gets more of the soymilk in. i need to take my protein wherever i can get it.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is "trendy" and so is greek yogurt.

People like to be trendy. We all survived without these things before. It's just new and popular.
    Lol I caught on to the greek yogurt "trend" too but only because of how crazy packed it is with nutrients.

Idk, didn't mean to offend anyone by using the word useless. I'm just the kind of person who likes to get as much bang for my calorie as I can, especially now that I've been trying to clean up my diet. If I need milk for something, I'm going to want it to be milk that does something for me nutritionally, same with the bread I eat. I wouldn't say "oh this brand of white bread is only 60 calories so it must be healthy" and choose that, when I can get something with more fiber, more whole grains, more nutrients.

If you can't stand the taste of anything else then I understand that too. And If you're lactose AND soy intolerant, well DUH you'd use almond milk but clearly I'm referring to people who don't have health issues.
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It has tons of calcium! I get enough protein from meat and other sources, but you could always just add like half a scoop of protein powder if that's your issue. It has very few calories, and best of all, it's NOT SOY. I've been milk free for my acne and also because I'm mildly lactose intolerant. I've tried rice milk and hemp milk and they both tasted like poop, and I really like almond milk.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Both soy and dairy can affect your hormones. Avoid that stuff. They can wreck havoc on your skin, contribute to migraines, breast pain, and a host of other problems.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My question is, can I use this chocolate in my smoothies? Has anyone tried this and come up with a good concotion? I don't want to try it and waste it if I don't like... Lol.

Let me give you a HELL YEAH..... I do a Mocha using the Silk light chocolate soy milk, some New England Coffee's Chocolate Cappucchino coffee and then blend up with some ice... and I will garnish with shavings of dark chocolate on top. Ill even throw some fresh mint leaves in the blender for a Mocha-Mint!

OH MY GAWD!

That sounds AMAZING! I will definitely have to try this! Thank you :-)
  • Italian_mom
    Italian_mom Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I like it alot!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I thought the whole purpose of milk was to add protein to the meal.. yet there's like one gram of protein in almond milk. It's basically just sugar, at least that's what I get from the nutrition facts. I mean even though it's low calorie & all, that's great, but if I'm going for non-dairy, I could pick up some light soymilk for about 60 calories and 6 grams of protein.

I don't really get why people drink it.
    lol i know right...
    i drink milk cause of protein and cause it's necessary on some drinks/recipes
  • Brennaohh
    Brennaohh Posts: 47
    Options
    its nice with cereal (: not too thick, not too thin. the unsweetened kind! & it doesnt go bad nearly as fast as milk, which is beneficial for me
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Well...

-I like the way it tastes
    -I'm not sure what almond milk you're drinking that is "all sugar". The unsweetened vanilla I buy is about 2g fat, 2g protein, 0g sugar.
    -I've never seen milk as a way to "add protein". I've drank it because it tastes good on my cereal, makes a good addition to smoothies, and is the best way to follow up a piece of chocolate cake.
    -Not to mention some people have soy and dairy allergies.
  • cac49239
    cac49239 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is a great alternative to soy and dairy milk. The unsweetened it good for a variety of uses including basic milk uses like cereals or baking / cooking. it also tastes good in coffee. I do agree, there is not much protein in it, however I am not to concerned about your protein intake if you are an American :D