Couch-to-5K - Who's In?

Options

Replies

• ColtyHan
    ColtyHan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Got to W2D3 yesterday. About 10 minutes in, my calves cramped up so bad I had to crawl off of the treadmill. I didn't drink as much water in the 24 hours before as I'm used to, so I think it was just dehydration. Going to increase my water intake and then try again in a couple of days.
  • jesstiger81
    jesstiger81 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Just finished week 3 day 1! My left knee is bothering me a little so I made sure not to overdo it and I am definitely resting as recommended tomorrow. I noticed that I am actually jogging the same amount of time this week as I did last week. The difference is two of the running blocks are combined into one, so I'm jogging for longer this week. I feel great!

This has been a great thread so far, so glad there are other people out there like me who really want to do this!

This week I am going to keep an eye on my sugar intake. I feel I am eating pretty healthy but I found out too much sugar is creeping in from somewhere.
  • CBreysach
    CBreysach Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    OK I'm in finally started today but I think it's going to be a real struggle. I hate to run just for the fun of it but I have a special goal to do a run for breast cancer. Tired of this stinking disease and want to do something to show it.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Been reading the "chi running" concept, making running so much easier..and pain free, which is why I kept stopping before...

Do you have a good link for us to learn more about chi running? Sounds very interesting!

here you go :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/611432-running-technique-is-making-it-so-much-easier
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    Starting Wk#4 today, looking forward to it, even though I ran 1 mile without stopping on Sat I am going to continue with this program.....
  • clcole522
    clcole522 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Good Morning..CK5 runners :) .. I started this program in 2009 after my dad passed, it became my "safe haven" ... But I have
    done a handful of 5K, and I was feeling my best! I was even teaching spin classes....I was so in shape. I was a stay at home mom, who had all the time in the world to do all this..... Well, come November of 2011, I took on a full time job, and it wasn't like jumping into the full time job with one foot at a time... I jumped in with both feet... Working sun up to sun down, some night....My husband has had to take on the roll of "Mr. Mom" (god bless him).... I miss my family time, but having 2 paychecks has been a blessing.
    So, needless to say that my gym time has taken a hit.... I am up at 440am, and at the gym at 5am... Running, but I am struggling to hit that 3 mile mark.... Its killing me, knowing where I was, to where I have let myself go.....So, for a little motivation, I am starting this program over, tonight! I know it works, and I love the way I feel after I have done that 5k run! I want, I need to get back there...
    So, I see this post was done a few weeks ago...And you all are still going... So I am going to hop in and join you all....If anyone one is looking for support, friend me..B/c I too could use it!!
  • kmel2479
    kmel2479 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Ok so I have been doing this program on the treadmill at the gym so far. This weekend I decided it was time to take it outside. I realized that I needed to knock my progress back from W6D3 to W5D1 when I was on the road. Anyone else have this issue. I know it is supposed to be much harder outside and I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to make the transition easier. I think I am going to continue with outdoor runs from now on because the weather is nicer. I just found it slightly discouraging, but know that I wouldn't have been able to even do 5 minutes straight a few weeks ago!
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Another quick tip: When I am doing the last running segment of each workout, I add a little time to it. Just helps me to prepare for the next workout and the next week. Right now I am just adding 30 seconds to the last running segment. It helps!

That is a good idea. I try and run back to my house even if it my time is done for that workout day. Today, I start W2 Day 1
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Are you guys running on the road or treadmill? I'm just wondering how it's going to feel when I finally hit the road. I think that I am going to finish what I have started on the treadmill and then start all over? on the road. Thoughts?

I am running outside. It is easier to run on a treadmill, so I did not want to do easier.
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Got to W2D3 yesterday. About 10 minutes in, my calves cramped up so bad I had to crawl off of the treadmill. I didn't drink as much water in the 24 hours before as I'm used to, so I think it was just dehydration. Going to increase my water intake and then try again in a couple of days.

Do that and eat a banana beforehand for potassium, too. I find it helps for me. Don't eat just before running, though. LOL Give it some time to settle/digest.
  • crstna26
    crstna26 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Doing W1D3 today!
  • yallcallmedeb
    yallcallmedeb Posts: 294
    Options
    Just finished Week 3, Day 1! I am very proud of myself in that I have done each workout exactly as designed and even though I have not felt that I could complete many of the jogs, I pushed myself and DID IT! Today was brutal! 86 degrees out and 68% humidity. Of course, NO shade at the track! I also walked to the track and back home with my young children, so in all, we were outside for over 2 hours.
  • ldg323
    ldg323 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Completed w1d1 last night! It was awesome!
  • talie1997
    talie1997 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Tried to run today and it didn't go so well!
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I'm in! Tried to run today and it didn't go so well!

What went wrong?
  • paperstars
    paperstars Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am in the middle of week 3 and so far I love the program. My biggest problem is breathing deeply or at a steady pace. Does anyone have any tips? My husband tells me to try going in through the nose and out through the mouth but I find it really difficult!
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    Hi! I am in the middle of week 3 and so far I love the program. My biggest problem is breathing deeply or at a steady pace. Does anyone have any tips? My husband tells me to try going in through the nose and out through the mouth but I find it really difficult!

I can't breathe in through my nose. I don't get enough oxygen. Even just sitting here on the computer, if I try to breathe in through my nose, I am gasping for air in just a few breaths!

My husband told me to sing while I run. Of course, since I run outside, in public, I'm not about to do that but I have tried lip-synching some refrains and it really does help! As he says.....there's a reason why the military chants throughout their runs!
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    Not sure if any of you have seen this thread I started but it has REALLY helped me :happy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/611432-running-technique-is-making-it-so-much-easier?page=1#posts-8860773
  • paperstars
    paperstars Posts: 76 Member
    Options

I can't breathe in through my nose. I don't get enough oxygen. Even just sitting here on the computer, if I try to breathe in through my nose, I am gasping for air in just a few breaths!

My husband told me to sing while I run. Of course, since I run outside, in public, I'm not about to do that but I have tried lip-synching some refrains and it really does help! As he says.....there's a reason why the military chants throughout their runs!

Hahahaha, my husband is a veteran and that's what he told me, too! I have tried the lip moving but I feel kinda silly. Oh well, I guess it's better than stiches ;) Today was better, though. Yay, progress!
  • jamie54720
    jamie54720 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i want to try this, but i dont know if i will get past week 2, at 250lbs, i try to do one min jog one min walk and it gets really hard..