This tip by Jillian Michaels killed my plateau

Options
I found this last week after I googled "How to break through a plateau". I did it and now I'm losing weight again.
1. Eat more: Ninety percent of the time plateaus are caused by your body’s survival mechanism of protecting against famine, which is triggered by calorie reduction. The best way to fix this quickly is to give your body a little more food so it feels secure. Varying your calorie intake is my best advice for keeping your body from plateauing: For the next three days vary your calorie intake between 1,800 and 2,400 calories. I know this may sound crazy, but trust me…I know what I’m doing. Then, after three days, drop back down to the calorie allowance that I have set for you through this program.

2. Reduce your sodium and DRINK LOTS OF WATER: Keep your sodium under 1,500 mg a day at most for as long as you can manage. You can achieve this in part by cutting all processed food out of your diet for two weeks.

I promise you that if you follow these tips to the letter, your plateau will be shattered by the end of week 2!

Another site warns of "calorie creep"... your portions and servings getting to be more and larger over time.... they were right.

Replies

• stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to give this a try!!
  • hokirayo
    hokirayo Posts: 36
    Options
    bump.
  • melisssaarielle
    melisssaarielle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kellyemb
    kellyemb Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks for posting.... I can't seem to lose a pound and was starting to get very frustrated!!! I'm going to try this :)
  • BeautifulKristen
    Options
  • LWeiler82
    LWeiler82 Posts: 40
    Options
    bump
  • karenakaboze
    Options
    kewl.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • STLaferty
    STLaferty Posts: 38
    Options
    Great advice, thanks for sharing it!
  • KathShum2012
    Options
    Thanks for posting this...will try it this week.:happy:
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    See I don't even eat that many calories to begin with. And there is rarely anything healthy that is more calories for 1 meal..

How can I even do this if I eat smart ones (weight watcher meals)?

I can't buy regular food to cook because I don't have enough money for that..

And my metabolism is wack. My thyroid is bad I take 150 mg of thyroid medication....

and eh. I despise Jillian Micheals 30 day shred.. The only time I lost inches was in level 1.. Then gained them back during level 2.. But lost 10 pounds all together 11 more days til I am finished..

The way I did it was eating a fruit salad every day for 3 days. This was just 1 banana, 1 apple, 1 chopped orange, 1 6 oz cup of Walmart fat free yogurt, and on the first day I had 6 large strawberries (after that MIL ate the rest so... :( I also added some cereal but you don't have to. This fruit salad is over 700 calories but only like 1 gram of fat, something like 9 protein... there's sugar but it's okay unless you're diabetic.
  • 3Sarah333
    3Sarah333 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Uping my calories some has helped a little. I just can't image eating way over 2000 calories, but I do know that when I hit my plateau the only thing that started breaking it was eating over my 1200 calories. Prior to my plateau my body did fine with the calories at 1200. Now that I'm down to my last 18lbs to go, my body wants/needs more calories!!! So I now try to eat some activity calories :)
  • scoobiesaan
    Options
    Word
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This fruit salad is over 700 calories but only like 1 gram of fat, something like 9 protein... there's sugar but it's okay unless you're diabetic.

There's 164g of sugar, wow I can feel my pancreas limbering up at the very thought of it - that's a week's worth for me !

i suspect the actual key in the OP is the bit about calorie creep.
  • FrostyFour
    Options
    By the way for you weight watchers people... it's 15 points.
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800 everyday, unless i do a crazy burn day for calories and i havebeen at the same weight for monhts. I am gonna try this too, and see what happens. If a week goes by and we see some movement, i will let you know!
  • FrostyFour
    Options
    This fruit salad is over 700 calories but only like 1 gram of fat, something like 9 protein... there's sugar but it's okay unless you're diabetic.

There's 164g of sugar, wow I can feel my pancreas limbering up at the very thought of it - that's a week's worth for me !

i suspect the actual key in the OP is the bit about calorie creep.

It freaked me out, too, but it's 90% natural sugar. Like I said, unless you're diabetic...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    , but it's 90% natural sugar.
    Matters not, the molecules are the same. You've been brainwashed I'm afraid but I don't hold it against you as you're the victim.

White sugar in packets is natural - it's grown in sugar beet and sugar cane.
  • FrostyFour
    Options
    The cereal I used was Kellogg's - Crunchy Nut Cereal Roasted Nut and Honey, 0.5 cup which has 7 added sugar from the honey and the walmart fat free yogurt I used has 12 added sugar. The rest is fruit, so...
  • FrostyFour
    Options
    , but it's 90% natural sugar.
    Matters not, the molecules are the same. You've been brainwashed I'm afraid but I don't hold it against you as you're the victim.

White sugar in packets is natural - it's grown in sugar beet and sugar cane.

It's only for 3 days!