What's with The Notebook?

Options

Replies

• katief1982
    katief1982 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

That's also something I don't understand. Arguments... I've been in two relationships that lasted over 3 years and I've never had a straight out argument. If we disagree we just talk it out.

I don't get why fighting = passion either. I feel like my marriage has plenty of passion. Yet, I have never had the urge to smack him. Oh! That was another thing! She was always hitting him! What the heck? That is not okay from either end.

Passionate about a subject. I disagree with my babys dad but he just says "ok " so I feel things are sitting unresolved as we dont agree or achieve compromise. For some couples I know they argue (shout) and still get no where others argue and resolve the issue. Far more healthy to resolve a problem/difference or at least come to a mutual agreement than and not. That was my point, more so than suggesting it is healthy to argue and shout at someone.
  • jerknoir
    jerknoir Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Nicholas Sparks is just blockbuster-level Hallmark channel. I'll never understand the appeal of either.

Not that I'm not a baby for certain romances. Eternal Sunshine, Howl's Moving Castle, Moulin Rouge, they all make me bust out sobbing like nobody's business. But there has to be some sort of originality to it, something driving the plot besides the relationship.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Ive never seen it.

The only Nicholas sparks movie I've seen is A Walk To Remember.
    And it still makes me cry.

Pretty in Pink or 16 Candles all the way
  • satxdc99
    satxdc99 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I am a "girly" girl, but I hate chick flicks. I am guessing growing up with five brothers makes me lean more towards the action flicks. Romance movies are hardly ever realistic.
  • sapphireblu64
    Options
    In all honesty THE MOVIE DOESN"T DO THE BOOK ANY JUSTICE. Read the book or listen to it on cd. Great book... Nicholas sparks is GREAT !!!!, and if you got George Guidall narrating the book or any book on cd for that much then you really are in for something WONDERFUL!!!!.
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I cried... lol I like the movie a lot. They might have fought a lot, but they were really in love. My boyfriend and I fight a lot but we are in love. I guess it's just not everybody's cup of tea lol
    I also love every single Nicholas Sparks movie.... :laugh:
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Oh yea, and I loved Twilight... hahaha!
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I was bored by this movie. You knew from the start it was going to be a really long, dragged-out affair.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Nicholas Sparks is just blockbuster-level Hallmark channel. I'll never understand the appeal of either.

Not that I'm not a baby for certain romances. Eternal Sunshine, Howl's Moving Castle, Moulin Rouge, they all make me bust out sobbing like nobody's business. But there has to be some sort of originality to it, something driving the plot besides the relationship.

Nice taste in movies, those are great romances! Also, Never Let Me Go is a total tearjerker romance. I mean, it will wreck you. The book is spectacular as well. (Have you read Howl's Moving Castle?)
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Honestly, its not the movie itself that I like. When it comes on TV, I usually will put it on but I really only pay attention to one particular part. :wink: That movie is the reason I LOVE butt dimples and beards and its also where my fantasy of making out in the rain was born.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    The Notebook is one of my favorite romance movies. Summer love, passion, the way they never stopped loving each other even though they each thought the other had moved on... :sigh: And the ending, the way he was by her side until the very end. I cry every time. Is it "practical" or "realistic"...probably not, but who watches movies for realism? :laugh:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Nice taste in movies, those are great romances! Also, Never Let Me Go is a total tearjerker romance. I mean, it will wreck you. The book is spectacular as well. (Have you read Howl's Moving Castle?)

I hate you Netflix Streaming! The three of these I haven't seen aren't available, naturally!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I love the Traveler's Wife! I like the notebook too but can't remember it at the moment LOL
  • GabrielleZelda
    GabrielleZelda Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    First of all, you are HILARIOUS. Really. WOW. I almost peed myself laughing when I read the poop comment.

OK, so I did love the notebook. It would be amazing to meet someone that devoted and dedicated to only me. But it's also very unrealistic! I could never have that sort of expectation of anyone.

Personally, I never understood the whole fighting = passion thing. I just don't see relationships in those terms. Disagreements are not supposed to be the fuel for your relationship, if you ask me.

I would choose stability and tenderness over passion and fire any day!
  • GabrielleZelda
    GabrielleZelda Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The Notebook is one of my favorite romance movies. Summer love, passion, the way they never stopped loving each other even though they each thought the other had moved on... :sigh: And the ending, the way he was by her side until the very end. I cry every time. Is it "practical" or "realistic"...probably not, but who watches movies for realism? :laugh:

^This!
  • luvinlaurakate
    luvinlaurakate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've never seen it. I thought it was a stupid movie, so I don't see things I think are stupid. Isn't Miley Cyrus in that movie? Another reason I didn't watch it.

Miley Cyrus is in The Last Song, which is actually a good movie, even though it stars her. And the girl form the Notebook is Rachel McAdams, I think.

I also didn't get it. The book IS better than the movie, over-all, but neither one really "did it" for me.
  • Doomfrog
    Doomfrog Posts: 79
    Options
    First of all, you are HILARIOUS. Really. WOW. I almost peed myself laughing when I read the poop comment.

OK, so I did love the notebook. It would be amazing to meet someone that devoted and dedicated to only me. But it's also very unrealistic! I could never have that sort of expectation of anyone.

Personally, I never understood the whole fighting = passion thing. I just don't see relationships in those terms. Disagreements are not supposed to be the fuel for your relationship, if you ask me.

I would choose stability and tenderness over passion and fire any day!

I really think a whole lot of it was expectations as well. I've had probably dozens of people threaten to take away my "girl card" over the past several years because I had never seen the movie. It is all of my friends' go to "break up" movie, so I was expecting all kinds of sobbing on my end. (Then again, during my last break-up I chose to watch every season of the Sopranos, so that should tell you how I tend to cope). But in general, I'm kind of a sap and all kinds of things make me cry. And I generally don't like to cry because I look like I've been beat up for hours afterwards. I can see where as a piece of fiction it would have been compelling. So, in the book, did they do more to address the WWII issue? I really feel like that would have made the story more compelling for me.

That being said, I'm glad to see the majority of you aren't out there using this as a model for a healthy relationship!
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Ryan Gossling. That's pretty much the appeal lol I don't even remember the story. I just remember his face and there was a girl or something. I don't know. But there was Ryan Gossling.
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options

I'm with you on this!
  • SuperSneaky
    SuperSneaky Posts: 43
    Options
    I've never seen it. No desire. Unrealistic expectations placed on a relationship causes discontent.