To all you cheaters out there...

Options
2»

Replies

• DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I incorporate a designated amount of weekly bonus calories. I weigh in once per week and those weekly bonus calories start over. With those calories and my daily target, I am still at a deficit for my daily average over the whole week. This allows high/low days and I can use them where I want to. It comes in very handy for work lunches, date nights, etc.

AND it's not cheating so I don't feel guilty. It's all planned out, I can just use them when I want within each week. I couldn't handle eating the same exact amount of calories day in and day out so this works best for me. I got to goal on weight watchers and they use a similar approach with their point system. It was the main thing that got me to goal. I never plateaued and believe this is why.

Find what works for you. If that means a weekly large splurge or a daily small splurge, do it. You can splurge and still lose weight. I don't like the idea of not tracking splurges but that's just me. Plus, if you can total your weekly intake and divide by days and still see that deficit, you know most likely, you'll still lose. I prefer that over a cheat day without tracking.
  • Starrynights1107
    Starrynights1107 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I incorporate a designated amount of weekly bonus calories. I weigh in once per week and those weekly bonus calories start over. With those calories and my daily target, I am still at a deficit for my daily average over the whole week. This allows high/low days and I can use them where I want to. It comes in very handy for work lunches, date nights, etc.

AND it's not cheating so I don't feel guilty. It's all planned out, I can just use them when I want within each week. I couldn't handle eating the same exact amount of calories day in and day out so this works best for me. I got to goal on weight watchers and they use a similar approach with their point system. It was the main thing that got me to goal. I never plateaued and believe this is why.

Find what works for you. If that means a weekly large splurge or a daily small splurge, do it. You can splurge and still lose weight. I don't like the idea of not tracking splurges but that's just me. Plus, if you can total your weekly intake and divide by days and still see that deficit, you know most likely, you'll still lose. I prefer that over a cheat day without tracking.

Same! :)
  • Sarahkittymeoww
    Options
    I never go over on calories. In fact, I have a hard time even reaching my calories. However, I find that I will often go over on sugar, carbs and sometimes protein (but that may be because I have lower settings right now for carbs and sugar...and I just over do it on the protein foods lately). I know for a fact that calorie shifting is beneficial for weight loss, it's how I lost a bulk of my weight post-pregnancy a few years ago. But I need to start getting back up to my minimum calorie limit first before I can even try that again :cry:
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    every sunday, i double my maintenance calories. works wonders for me.
  • patranus
    patranus Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The only time I feel somewhat guilty is on the weekends and that is because I don't go to the gym on the weekends.
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    How often do you go over your calories? And by how much? I have heard numerous times that a cheat day once a week where you spike your calorie intake actually helps with weight loss because it revs up your metabolism. Do you have a designated cheat day? I want to make Sunday (today) my designated cheat day to eat what I want but without going over maintenance.

This week I haven't gone over at all. But I was allowing myself go up to my BMR... I've found the spike days were not helping me at all and were actually making it worse for me. I don't have cheat days anymore because I found that I was only cheating myself.

From what I understand each body burns a certain amount of calories at a certain weight... I'm training myself to eat only a certain amount to stay a certain size.. the more times I don't meet that lower goal the harder it will be in the long run.

I'm not trying to say they're bad but I'm saying for me they weren't working. It sucks to say that I lost 3 pounds but half of them was what I gained from not being goal focused... plus those pounds I could have lost but didn't.
    Of course I have a long way to go, so

I think a better focus to rev metabolism--for myself at least--is to exercise, it also boosts serotonin and helps with memory/mental skills.

Every body is different and reacts differently to different things. So if it works for you then go for it, girl!