Replies

• butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Looks like some reat info here. Thanks!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I think a big fear most, if not all, first timers have is finishing poorly (or last).

Pick a 5K, 10K, half, whatever program (especially one with speed work: Runner's World SmartCoach, for one) and stick to it and I guarantee you won't finish last or even in the bottom third.

Also anyone planning on running or running a lot: GET FITTED. Proper fitting shoes will help prevent I N J U R Y and nothing puts the kibosh more on best laid plans than plantar fasciitis or IT band crapola

Embrace hills.
    Great ideas, thanks!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I should probably add:

Don't drink tequila until 4am the night before a race. Just because it's your birthday, that doesn't mean it doesn't count!

I DID come last in that race :blushing:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    All wonderful tips.

If you have a loved one snapping pics at the finish line, definitely make sure you smile. You do not want to see how pained you look at the end of a race if you're not smiling. I take it one step further and wear my brightest red lipstick. :happy:

If you're wearing a jacket and might have to take it off during the race, consider pinning your bib to your pants' leg instead.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Berry, you always give great advice! My first 5k I came in at 47:18 but I had never really trained before. I love you say to smile at the finish line, on my finish line photo my tongue is sticking out....what a sight!

Thanks Berry!!!!!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    For me, rule #1, and I only have one,

FINISH!
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Just did my first race yesterday morning.

Good stuff.
  • Crawflowr
    Crawflowr Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that, very useful advice. I have my first race on 1st July and am always happy to accept any tips.
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Great tips!! I have ran (ok...maybe not 'ran'...) several 5Ks and one 10K and your tips are to a T!

Races are so addicting that after my first one, I couldn't stop myself from signing up for the next one and the next one...

One major tip that I'd love to give for anyone considering doing their 1st race:
    Sign up for a race where EVERYONE who finishes receives a medal! That is the best feeling and will be great motivation to keep at it until the finish line (even if you do end up DFL 'dead f-ing last' lol)

I am not a fast runner at all and will always walk during a portion of the race. However, the race bling reminds me that even if I am not one of the top 3 finishers in my age group or overall, I still managed to accomplish something I could not have done 2+ years ago.

Good luck and have fun!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Tip: If you're not sure whether you're running or jogging: go faster.

More tips (in no particular order):
    • Track your shoe miles. Running shoes don't last forever. Running in old, worn out shoes (especially racing) is as bad as running in ill fitting shoes.
    • Bring your own recovery, just in case. It always seems odd to me that venue provided post race fare is basically stuff that would work better as pre-race (bananas, granola bars, oranges, pretzels, ect) than post race (PROTEIN!). So I always pack a Gatorade G3 or almond butter or. . anything with a sitck-to your-riib-itiveness.
    • If you trained for this race and ran without compromise, expect to be SORE. Rule of thumb for first timers is one day of rest-recovery for every mile of race distance. Also in this vein, for you people looking for scale victories, be prepared to see an upward spike as body retains a bit while repairing itself. The more you run, the less drastic this effect will be after the next time
  • Kavidd
    Kavidd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That was a nice list!
    I'm running 10 miles in a month. It'll be my first race, I'm looking forward to it enormously (: