Options

Replies

• frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hmm I would do this but I can't haha,
    we've had 4 kidnappings on my street on the past month :/
    ???

I dunno, I think I'd WANT people watching me in that situation...
  • shel1103
    shel1103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I completely understand your fear. When people look at you, it won't be to make fun. They will think that you are trying to get healthy and are doing something good for yourself. Screw what anyone else thinks. Get out there and face your fear. I just started running on a track at a school down the street from me. I like it so much better than the gym.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm also scared to run outside, mostly because of self-image issues, and Virginia drivers are so stupid I'd probably get hit on the sidewalk. To combat the boredom, I have a tv in my garage in front of the treadmill area (before TV, I'd watch netflix on my phone), and one of the things I'm starting now that I'm getting back into running is a 'movie challenge', where I do a light jog for an entire movie. It's difficult to start, last time (and this time) I'm starting by doing 30 minute tv shows, then hour long tv shows, and move up from there.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Haha four kidnappings on a single Canberran street in the last month! Man, and I thought the bikie crime blitz on the Gold Coast was bad!

Lay the blame for your failings wherever you want, but the state of your health is up to you.
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am pretty new to runny outside and runny in general- I had a hard time getting good enough to feel comfortable but I am finally feeling less self conscience about it. This morning I made my first mile without walking a bit of the way- yippee! So, we all look kinda funny running, no one cares, those that are jogging are sympathetic to this and those that are not that may see you are thinking- way to go- I wish I could get out there and do it! For some reason I am not comfortable getting far away, I used to have lots of knee trouble so I learned to just stay close in case I felt I needed to stop; so I just jog around my neighborhood- if I had to pee I would never be that far away from home. Good luck! Give it a shot- it is way more fun outside!
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Definitly do it! Face your fears.. my run is most people's walk..LOL I figure hey, at least I'm out there trying:) As for bathroom, thats always a concern for me too.. I don't drink much water before I go out and don't run for more than an hour...hahahah

For me, it is soooo much easier to run outside than on treadmill..scenery is pretty and time goes by pretty fast.

You can do it! friend me if you'd like..I'm always looking for running friends.

DAwn
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Well you are probably safe from Magpies as they usually only swoop during spring to defend their nests.

I never realised that Canberra was such a hot bed of crime. I thought is was just public servants and the occasional politician.I am surprised that travel warnings haven't been issued for the other states.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    At least give it a try. It won't be nearly as bad as you imagine. I am still very slow, and it took me a long time to start running outside on a regular basis. I see some people just walking, and others going at a fast pace; regardless of speed, we are all out there putting in the effort. Just start with a comfortable speed and give yourself some time to adjust to the differences.

You'll do fine. :)
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Well you are probably safe from Magpies as they usually only swoop during spring to defend their nests.

I never realised that Canberra was such a hot bed of crime. I thought is was just public servants and the occasional politician.I am surprised that travel warnings haven't been issued for the other states.

I am as shocked as you. Here we are, sitting in our quiet corner of Queensland, in complete ignorance of this lawless wasteland that is our nation's capital. Channel Nine has clearly missed a trick, letting this crimewave go unreported.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Face your fears! Running outside is awesome.

If there is really NOWHERE to pee (restaurant, store, construction port o let), you must really be out in the middle of nowhere. In that case, pee behind a bush. :smile:
  • nurserae7
    nurserae7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not! I started the couch to 5k on the treadmill during the winter months. As spring came along I ventured outside, and yes, I had the same fears. I'm slow as all get out and can only imagine how horrible I look when running! But who cares. Everyone I've passed has been all smiles and encouragement. Runners truly are open and encouraging to anyone willing to give it a try--no matter how slow or ungraceful we are! And yes, running outside is VERY different but I love the mini challenges I make for myself--making it to the next corner, then the next and then the next. So much better than a treadmill!
    :

:laugh: I agree....I used to fear that as I was "running" (actually I call it puttering) down the road, a vehicle would pull up beside me, roll the window down, and the person inside would say, "ma'am....please don't do this in public". :laugh: BUT I was totally wrong! My neighbors all wave and give the most encouraging words. I don't worry what anyone thinks anymore. I'm just so proud of myself that I'm actually outside and MOVING!! And on a personal note, wear a thin protective pad for added protection and peace of mind. :-)
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    No, go outside if you can'tdo the treadmill thing. I used to be nervous about running in front of a zillion parents because I live by a grammar school and people were always there, so I ran as soon as it was dark out and I carry bear mace (I live in suburban bear country) it works for dogs too. I had to get a running belt but it's worth it. Can't help you with the pee.

Ummm I think you're being a bit dramatic. This is Australia, and we live in the same city. There have not been kidnappings here, and certainly not 4 of them.

And if you need ideas where to run PM me. I run everywhere from 5-20 Kms 3-4 times a week all over Canberra. I know where the lights are good, where it's bad and also where the joggers hang out. And if your focussed on running, you won't notice people or traffic and oddly, no one cares. We live in the most active city in Australia, you running isn't a novelty to the average Canberran I assure you.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options

I am as shocked as you. Here we are, sitting in our quiet corner of Queensland, in complete ignorance of this lawless wasteland that is our nation's capital. Channel Nine has clearly missed a trick, letting this crimewave go unreported.

I can assure you Canberra is not full of crime. This is BS and I'll call it out publicly as such.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Is there someone you can jog with? It would be awesome if you could face your fears, this would bring wonderful confidence and most likely boost along on your progress. Go for it! Just remember, you don't have to do it alone. = )
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Is there a school nearby that has an outdoor track? Most places don't care if community members use them. Maybe a gym or other facility that has an indoor track. It can be a pain to drive somewhere to run but if you want to run outside and aren't quite up to running on the street, those are other options.

I've found that most people that see others running whether its on the street or road are more supportive and thinking "good for them" or "I wish I could be out there". Others that might be running too are usually there for the same reason.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Haha four kidnappings on a single Canberran street in the last month! Man, and I thought the bikie crime blitz on the Gold Coast was bad!

Lay the blame for your failings wherever you want, but the state of your health is up to you.

No need to be a rude so and so. Geez.

by the way I meant *nearly kidnappings. SORRY i'm tired and my brain is dead from studying
  • AGirlandHerFrenchie
    AGirlandHerFrenchie Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Hey! Face your fears - everyone is scared of something and all those people you are worried about staring at you are worried about the same thing. Trust me, the only person who matters is you. I used to worry about other people staring then I did a race after breaking my ankle and walked the entire thing - I had people yell mean things at me, organizers give me a hard time, etc, etc but in the end I was doing it for me and now I remind myself at least I'm out there doing it.

So get out there and enjoy it!
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Face your fears! Running outside is awesome.

If there is really NOWHERE to pee (restaurant, store, construction port o let), you must really be out in the middle of nowhere. In that case, pee behind a bush. :smile:

I'm not in the middle of nowhere, it's one of the main roads leading onto the highways..
  • SuperSneaky
    SuperSneaky Posts: 43
    Options
    I'm super duper big and I'm just starting to run outside again! I wear a 16W so... I just found really well-fitting running clothes that don't let anything "jiggle" too badly, it definitely boosted my confidence.

Yeah, someone MAY stare and laugh at me, but the way I see it is I'm doing it. Most likely, I'm getting more exercise than them. I find that most people who genuinely care about fitness, no matter healthy or unhealthy weight, is they don't make fun of others for trying. The other people don't matter, because they are not on a healthy, positive path to begin with.

At the end of the day, I feel amazing and proud of myself, and the other person is still caught in a cycle of laughing at overweight people making a lifestyle change.

I used to run cross country back in my healthy weight days. I wouldn't have batted an eye at someone going slow. Out there doing it is more important than any time or distance.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    No, go outside if you can'tdo the treadmill thing. I used to be nervous about running in front of a zillion parents because I live by a grammar school and people were always there, so I ran as soon as it was dark out and I carry bear mace (I live in suburban bear country) it works for dogs too. I had to get a running belt but it's worth it. Can't help you with the pee.

Ummm I think you're being a bit dramatic. This is Australia, and we live in the same city. There have not been kidnappings here, and certainly not 4 of them.

And if you need ideas where to run PM me. I run everywhere from 5-20 Kms 3-4 times a week all over Canberra. I know where the lights are good, where it's bad and also where the joggers hang out. And if your focussed on running, you won't notice people or traffic and oddly, no one cares. We live in the most active city in Australia, you running isn't a novelty to the average Canberran I assure you.

Just because you haven't heard about them, doesn't mean they haven't happened..
    And I meant *nearly happened btw