What fact makse you feel old?

Options

Replies

• biggsexy7
    biggsexy7 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Several things make me feel old, but I have outlined a few as follows:

1. We didn’t have Xbox or Wii. We had Atari. Enough said.
    2. We were required to play outside. No sitting in the house all day or else you did chores.
    3. Cell phones were the size of bricks and the only thing you could do was call people.
    4. People had actual car phones.
    5. We were beaten in school by administration if we acted up. We were then beat again by family members when we got home.
    6. We had respect for your elders.
    7. Music had meaning.
    8. We recorded music off the radio and made mix tapes for our friends/loved ones.
    9. Tapes and VHS were all the rave.. what’s a DVD?
    10. Being gay on TV was NOT an option (thank gosh we’ve progressed from this stage!).
    11. TV actually went off at night. Once you heard the Star Spangled Banner, it was a wrap!
    12. Once we did get cable there was only A/B. You had to switch the box from one side to the other to get more channels. However, there still were not many channels!
    13. MTV played videos.
    14. The internet was still a new concept.
    15. AOL chat rooms claimed many virgins in its days of glory.

You just made me feel even older. What about being the remote control for your parents and adjusting the entena to get the station in clearer.
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    King of Queens is on TV Land.
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    At first, I couldn't think of anything. Then, I started reading everybody else's posts. More than 2/3 of them apply to me, as well. :sad: Gee, thanks.
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    The little girl I used to babysit is going to be a student at my university this fall...
  • Mindywhitley
    Mindywhitley Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I know what this is:

recordadapter.jpg

I still have some of those!

My 40th high school reunion is next year. Yikes!
  • hallie_b
    hallie_b Posts: 181
    Options
    I know that Robespierre is not just the name of a historical French figure but, also of a duck that wouldn't fully hatch, got lost in the cold and almost eaten by a wolf.
    Don't worry, all was good by the time you heard, "That's all Folks!".
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I never feel "old" until I see actual printed numbers like my age 50. I have a 20 year relationship behind me. I have a 20 year old daughter. I have only like at best 40 years left to live. Numbers make me feel old. So I ignore them haha so I never actually "feel" old :bigsmile:
  • christyd4
    christyd4 Posts: 191
    Options
    I look at 'kids' these days and despair of the future of our society.

sadly enough mine will be one of them ...YIKES!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I have friends that I have known over 20 years.
    that I have friends I have now known for 40 years! yikes
  • MissesJai
    MissesJai Posts: 48
    Options
    The fact that my oldest child would be a senior in high school!
    ditto.....and I hear myself saying "when I was your age...."
  • ILoveJesus72
    ILoveJesus72 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My youngest son is graduating from high school Friday.

My oldes son is getting married in July and going off to the Air Force.

Instead of drooling over Jon Bon Jovi, I'm now taking multi vitamins and reading up on menopause.

The complete lack of respect and regard for elders by youngsters these days

Feel old when people look at me crazy for saying "Thank you." 'Please." "Yes, sir." "Yes, Ma'am"

I used to blare Van Halen at the top of the volume knob.....now it's just too loud

My boys look at me sometimes like I used to look at my mom.......like I'm too old to understand.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I went and saw "American Reunion" in theatres (which was awesome, by the way!) and there were 14-16 year olds in there (parents- what the hell?) that clearly didn't understand what they were laughing at...

Because they were babies when the first American Pie came out!! :noway:
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    My son graduates high school Sunday. :(

Should I say -- Hopefully my son will be graduating Sunday!
    Me too and me too…
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I graduated H/S 14 years ago and my oldest is only 10 years away from graduating.
    When they had the 25th anniversary of the Challenger explosion and I remembered it happening clearly.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    The 3 year old I used to babysit is now taller than me. Sad.
  • biggsexy7
    biggsexy7 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This topic is gonna get very depressing soon!!!!!!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    when my kids think that the Beastie Boys is old people music...
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    - We used to HAVE TO play outside until the street lights came on.

- MTV used to only play music videos

- Televisions had knobs and when you shut them off, there was either a dot in the middle of the screen or you could put your hands on the screen and see your hand prints. They also weighed a TON.

- Home video game units were 8-bit graphics played with a single joystick that moved up, down, and side to side and had a single, candy red button. THEN the paddle came out!

- If you wanted to save a file that was on a computer, you could use a tape cassette. (And a pencil to fix it if the tape came undone)
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I used to make fun of my parents for always talking about their health problems with friends. I was sitting at a big birthday party dinner and the converstaion for at least 20 minutes was about our health... what suppliments to take, who had hip replacement and arthritus setting in.
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My 20 year class reunion was last year...wish I had gone:ohwell: