too scared to run outside?

Options
124»

Replies

• _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    get doggy pepper spray, and enjoy your run. People keep telling me that they prefer it and that it is easier
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    GO OUTSIDE...IT'S WONDERFUL!
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Well seems like Kerstie (how do you spell it) Alley is on the Poise pad train....I'm not making fun either...I can't go on a trampoline!!!!

Block out everything with a good mix on your ipod or mp3!! You'll feel fantastic...to heck with the haters or laughers..on their way to McDonalds, no doubt.....the ones who also work out will be cheering you on for sure.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I say go for it!
  • catelabow
    catelabow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I hope you will go for it and try it! I am heavy and slow, but I have improved so much and am so proud of the progress I've made, I no longer care at all what others might be thinking. And everyone I've encountered has been friendly. Good luck to you! If you don't like it, you can try something else.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Face your fears...get outside and just do it.
    Many times, the fear you have about something is so much worse than the actual event. But you will never know if you don't face it.

Get outside and run!! It's fabuous!!
  • Sammijo24
    Sammijo24 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I was talking to a really attractive in shape guy at work and this was our conversation
    Him: You still running on the greenway in town?
    Me: haha No I run on the treadmill and walk the greenway
    Him: Why? You should run on the greenway to
    Me: Um no I dont want people laughing
    Him: Why would they laugh
    Me: Uhhh about how slow I go and how funny I look
    Him: Yea but they should look at you and be like wow look at that girl out here workin her butt off and if they dont think that then they are the terrible people who should be laughed at
    That gave me a new perspective.

About the animal thing if animals start chasing you, look at it this way it will make you run faster haha
  • disismyyear
    Options
    This post has made me want to run. I'm going to try to Couch to 5k! I live in South Beach so there are runners everywhere and I'm totally jealous when I see them! lol
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm all for facing your fears. Humans are born with two fears: loud noises and falling, the rest of them we learn or imagine, and we're an imaginative lot. You'll probably find that the fear is much worse than the thing you're afraid of. Don't let a dog and a magpie stand in the way of your freedom, I'll bet there are a few BILLION people who have not been bitten by a dog or pecked by a magpie so your chances of coming out unscathed are pretty good.
  • Hollie_downunder
    Options
    Soooo... Was it the Maggie's or the Dogs doing the supposably attempted kidnappings on your street?!

Anyway, aside the kidnappers - people who run will love to see you running, in my neighbour hood everyone I pass says an out of breath hello!
    And then there's the people who don't run.. They won't be judging you they'll just be wishing they were off their butt running too

And then as for the kidnappers - well you're already running, then you can easily run away from them just keep on running. Might improve your stamina too who knows ;)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Are there any dogs running wild on your route? Can you check it out in advance?

Are there vicious birds? Would wearing a hat help? Or some kind of repellent?

Re the bathroom issue, could you stake out a route of say, 1/4 of a mile from your house and run back and forth?

Could you find an occasional running buddy for encouragement?

I wouldn't worry about other people. Sure, there are jerks out there (there always are), but most people will think it's great you're trying to get healthy or they'll ignore you. People tend to be very focused on themselves and their workouts.

Always run in a safe area with lots of people during daylight hours. If you listen to music, do not get lost in a cloud of sound. Look around you every now and then.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I too have a small bladder. Before I run I don't drink anything. I have planned my route (about half way) to go by a church that always has a bathroom open. Then I stop at a park to go again and let my little girl play.

If you don't have anything close that has a public restroom then run back and forth on your street.

Good luck!

ETA - Whenever I see someone running, no matter their size, I think "Go you for gettting out and running".
  • Devona14
    Devona14 Posts: 171
    Options
    I'll tell you what some wise person here on MFP said in a post once that really has stuck with me. "It doesn't matter what you look like while running or how fast you are. Just remember even at your slowest pace, you are still lapping the people sitting on the couch." I try to remember this every time I run. I may not be the skinniest, prettiest or fastest runner, but I sure do try. You can too! :smile: Happy running!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    When I first started running outside I was also very self-conscious, especially when the weather cooled down and I wore running tights....and then it occurred to me that I was actually invisible except to other runners (who seem to invariably wave or nod greeting other runners). We've become such a part of the urban landscape that no one even notices us and the only ones who may make ignorant remarks aren't worth worrying about.

In fact, I go to great lengths to be noticed/seen now by motorists as I've had a few close calls with less than attentive drivers turning and, apparently, not seeing me - it's imperative that you assume drivers are oblivious to your presence and run defensively (I do not wear an iPod when running outdoors for this very reason - hearing is an important sense)

So face your fears and enjoy the change of scenery!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    It may be worth it to drive to another area to run if you're worried about being assaulted by dogs, birds or humans in your own neighborhood. I'm sure there's some nice place nearby that's safe, with enough other runners around that you don't feel like you stand out so much.
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It's 10 times more enjoyable outside. Don't worry about anyone else... Just plug that music in and go:) you'll get use to it!
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I also used to worry about other people laughing at me as I tried to run,or laughing at how sweaty I was, or anything else. (I live in Chicago, so there are people out everywhere all the time. It's funny, but I always noticed all the fit people -- now I see that there is a nice blend of different size runners.) But then I stopped and thought about my own reaction to people running, jogging, or speed walking, and...I realized that I don't think twice about them! If anything, they make me feel guilty for not working out. The second they pass by me, I completely forget all about them. So, I figured that must be what most people think about me when they see me outside. (And honestly, I've never once seen anyone ever laugh at a person who was out trying to exercise, no matter what their size.) In short, no one really cares what you are doing -- I mean that in the kindest way possible. ;)

It's wonderful running outside -- not only enjoying the weather, but just looking at the scenery and activity. I love starting my day out this way. In fact, now I care so little what other people think that at 6 a.m. I roll out of bed, throw on whatever pair of shorts and t-shirt is closest, stretch out, and hit the pavement -- often without even washing my face or brushing my hair. LOL.
  • disismyyear
    Options
    after reading everyones comments I got brave and went for my first session of Couch2-5k! WOW! I feel amazing....can't wait till my next session!
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    after reading everyones comments I got brave and went for my first session of Couch2-5k! WOW! I feel amazing....can't wait till my next session!

Congrats! Thats awesome, and good on you!!! Running outdoors is much nicer than indoors hey - once you venture outside, you'll find it very hard to go back in!! :flowerforyou:

Im glad you dont live somewhere dangerous like the OP - wouldnt want you to have been kidnapped or abducted!!