How long does it take you to run a 5k?

Options

Replies

• paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    My first 48min, second 46 min and my latest 45min as im loosing im gaining time LOL I can never see me getting in to the 20' though age is against me i think, but as long as im moving and getting healthier im happy :bigsmile:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    My first 48min, second 46 min and my latest 45min as im loosing im gaining time LOL I can never see me getting in to the 20' though age is against me i think, but as long as im moving and getting healthier im happy :bigsmile:

You're only 49. I'm 47 and run it in 24. And, I think I can improve that. Age is in your head. You can do it.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options

You're only 49. I'm 47 and run it in 24. And, I think I can improve that. Age is in your head. You can do it.

If I manage to get down to 200lb or lower I certainly hope I can get in to the 20's It wont be from a lack of trying I can assure you
    I should have said when I get to 200lb :bigsmile: Its just ive been so big for so long that I cant visualise it, having said that if anyone would have told me this time last year that I would be running a 10K race next month I would have said " F##* ~~f and dream on" :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    If I really put my heart into it.. 25 minutes
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've never run a 5k race, so I don't know how fast I would go over that distance in a race situation.
    I ran 10km race (on a dead flat course) earlier this year in 65 minutes, so theoretically I should be able to do 5k in around 32 mins.
    On a regular weekday run at home (with hills!) I'd usually do it in about 32 -35 mins or less (I aim for under 7min/km but if I'm faster or slower that's OK, I've had a few injuries and don't push any more than I need to).

I've been running nearly 18 months now, I started from nothing so I'm pretty pleased to be able to run distances, I'm not too fussed about time.
    My best advice: don't try to meet a time goal too soon, build up your strength and fitness first, or you are putting yourself at risk of injury.
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Its been 36 minutes since I started...Just hasn't seemed to improve lately but I dont focus on time all that much so guess thats why.
  • greeneyedmama81
    greeneyedmama81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first 5k on the 26th. I ran it in 50:09. I walked some and I'm ok with that. I've only been running since the end of March.
  • wabrody
    wabrody Posts: 202
    Options
    i ran my first one in 34 minutes. First time I really ran since my knee surgery. I have been running more everyday and hope to cut it on teh next one.
  • Someday_Broadway
    Options
    My current PR is 18:38. :smile: I'm aiming for a sub 18:30 time at my next race though! My parents first put me in track when I was 8 so about 14 years.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    If I finish my first in 45 minutes I'll be thrilled - well done!
  • RoybieOfTheRovers
    RoybieOfTheRovers Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    28mins 32s for me. I've been trying to go under 60mins for 10K for two weeks but the best I have done is 60mins exactly. Which was very frustrating! I use an useful free app called Endomondo. This is a GPS tracker that calculates your distance, times and splits on route. It will report your best 5K sector on a longer run.

I think that anyone who can even run 5K at any time is doing well! I know for sure that the majority of people I know could not do it.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Ran one last Turkey Day in like 20:40, after training hard all season with the XC girls I coach.
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My first was just over 32 minutes. Sadly, I forgot to start my HRM until I was around the first corner so I don't have a more accurate time. I'll be doing at least three 5k's (and one 10k) in the next 4 months and my first goal is to crack 30 minutes.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    My best has been 36 and change.
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am still in the 24s, started running Aug/2011 (30s) - and ran in the 24s in Mar/2012. I did mostly cross training until February of this year.

I'm in the 24s too. I haven't run in a long time due to injuries. Haven't seriously run since November (that makes me a sad panda). I was running for less than a year before that.
  • girlsaint
    girlsaint Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am not much of a runner, so 5k for me takes about 50 minutes. I will think about time more when I can start remembering to just do it. :) I am a treadmill walker, so playing with things like time/speed- to challenge myself really helps me stay on it until the 5k is done.
  • dcyr009
    dcyr009 Posts: 93
    Options
    I just ran one last Sunday. My time was 30 minutes and 52 seconds.
  • Mustlovepugs11
    Options
    My best is 33:11. I am doing a 5k on Saturday and would like to see it under 30 minutes! : )
  • McGruber03
    McGruber03 Posts: 113
    Options
    I'm 34 years old, starting running at 31 years of age. My 1st 5K was 2 months after I started running and I got a 29:54. Just ran my 2nd timed 5K and got 28:53. So, in three years I shaved off a minute and a second. Oh well, I hate speed work, so it's to be expected since I'd rather run 5-10 miles at a slow pace rather than 3 miles at a fast pace. Hey, but who cares about time? (ugh, we all do ;):smooched:
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I walked my first 5k...I didn't even try to run it as I have a ruptured disk. It was last week. My time was 59:45. My goal was under an hour. LOL! It was also partially uphill. Congrats to you for getting out and doing it!