Compliments

Options

Replies

• Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing, I'm seeing a lot of it lately, those of us who are quite literally working our *kitten* off can't take compliments. I include myself in this. And ppl as a species (with a few notable exceptions) cannot verbalize what we mean very well.

I know that we spend so long not happy w/ how we look, that we build up a thick skin to every comment or look that we just THINK is judgemental. we're so busy judging ourselves for so long, that we simply ASSUME that everyone else is too. we spend so long there that when we come out of it, I think we're still stuck in the "what's THAT supposed to mean??" anger.

how do we move through this? how do we get to a place of accepting compliments and words of encouragement from strangers? I think that's a HUGE part of this. that's the mental half of it. the physical is hard work. but so is the mental.

so here's what i've tried to do - and maybe it won't work for you, but it works for me - I ask myself how I would take the comment if it was said by my mom. or my best friend. whoever it is in your life who tells you the ABSOLUTE truth even when it sucks. put those words in their mouth in your head and hear it again.

I think that ppl as a whole are happy to see someone succeed... well, most ppl. some ppl just suck. but for the MOST part, ppl are trying to be encouraging. even when the words they choose are... not the best.

try to hear the intent. try to hear the positive. b/c that's the place we're all heading, right?

I think you are SOOOO right on this!! And GREAT advice too for learning how to accept compliments!! It DOES depend on who gives them to me too. Some folks act like they ar coughing up crap when they try to say something nice. But others make my day when they say something that makes me feel good about myself!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight. That makes sense.

I give and receive compliments quite regularly in RL so it was a cause of quite some consternation for me when I did so on MFP that posters started running for the hills...
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!!!

I believe a lot of it has to do with thee fact that there are many who are only working on the physical aspect of health and not tuning into the emotional and mental as well... then there are others who get stuck on the how far they still have to go rather than celebrating the how far they have already come...
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Love it Maab!
    it's simple: learn to say "thank you"

This is my somewhat forced way to handle it for now. I want to tear the compliment down and excuse it away. But thank you is nicer to myself and to the person doing the complimenting. So that's where I'm staying for now.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I love it!

I'm still putting "you have such a pretty face" right up there with "when are you due?" but most of the time, people are really just trying to be nice. A wise person (my father) told me a long time ago that being unable to take a compliment is not only unattractive, it shows immaturity. It was a lesson I had to learn, but after he said that I made a conscious effort and now I say: bring 'em on!

Good post. :drinker:
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I'll take a true compliment any day!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I think it's because accepting a compliment feels like it's a little too close to becoming a vain self-indulgent attention *kitten* (not saying this is correct- just an involuntary reaction) and we try so hard to be humble for fear of becoming a skinny btch, we dont want to provoke hubris or bad karma, or haters or anything else negative for our work. The day we believe someone when they tell us we are beautiful is the day we get our face run over by a truck for being so pompous.

at least that's how it feels to me.

Vanity is a delicate thing. So easily slipping into narcissism. Scary sht.

Every once in a while, I dabble in a little vanity, playing silly games and such on here about who's hot or fit or has a cute face, etc. Sometimes I'll put up a provocative-ish picture. Unfailingly, those are the days some woman jumps up in here and damns us all for making fat people feel bad about themselves when we are supposed to be lifting them up.

So I get a compliment.
    I feel kinda good.
    I play a bit.
    I get yelled at.
    I end up apologising for not thinking badly of myself for those five minutes.
    Since not everyone feels good about themselves yet... how dare i?

Im sorry :(

"Wow you look beautiful today."

"Shutup- stop making fun of me.... "
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Every once in a while, I dabble in a little vanity, playing silly games and such on here about who's hot or fit or has a cute face, etc. Sometimes I'll put up a provocative-ish picture. Unfailingly, those are the days some woman jumps up in here and damns us all for making fat people feel bad about themselves when we are supposed to be lifting them up.

So I get a compliment.
    I feel kinda good.
    I play a bit.
    I get yelled at.

More than anything I wish this would just stop. It's beyond belief to me that a fitness website, which is so great at encouragement and support, could be so awful to people who have actually succeeded. The next jealous, small, petty person I see trying to tear someone down for accomplishing their goals is going to catch hell from me. I'm sick of it.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options

So I get a compliment.
    I feel kinda good.
    I play a bit.
    I get yelled at.

More than anything I wish this would just stop. It's beyond belief to me that a fitness website, which is so great at encouragement and support, could be so awful to people who have actually succeeded. The next jealous, small, petty person I see trying to tear someone down for accomplishing their goals is going to catch hell from me. I'm sick of it.
    AGREED ^ \m/
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    AGREED ^ \m/

NO /w\!
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post!!! For me, I was married for 16 years to a man who constantly cut me down, told me how fat I was etc. I kind of allowed it to be ingrained within me that all he spoke was truth. I still struggle with compliments and trying to learn to just say "thank you" and not feel guilty. I have a very poor body image and what I see in the mirror is apparently not what others see. It is a fault I am trying hard to conquer but man is it hard!!!!
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post!!! For me, I was married for 16 years to a man who constantly cut me down, told me how fat I was etc. I kind of allowed it to be ingrained within me that all he spoke was truth. I still struggle with compliments and trying to learn to just say "thank you" and not feel guilty. I have a very poor body image and what I see in the mirror is apparently not what others see. It is a fault I am trying hard to conquer but man is it hard!!!!

Wow... I just have to say you are one PRETTY lady!
  • BCsurvivor1962
    BCsurvivor1962 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am in!
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I agree but it's hard to accept compliments when you have been so hard on yourself for so long & may not yet be where you want to get to. It is something we need to learn how to do while also learning what not to stick in our mouths......
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    I do agree but it just occured to me that if someone is proud of me for losing weight , were they ashamed when I was heavier?

if you're proud of Michael Phelps for winning a gold - were you ashamed when he walked up to the pool?

You KICK *kitten*!! We have to be friends! Great post an even better analogy!
  • Annette_rose
    Options

Wow... I just have to say you are one PRETTY lady!

Thanks so much. I appreciate your kind words. I am trying to get to the point of loving myself for who I am. I think joining MFP has been one of the best things for me. I am enjoying it more than my Facebook lately, lol. I still wish MFP would get a "like" button though :)
  • Annette_rose
    Options
    I agree but it's hard to accept compliments when you have been so hard on yourself for so long & may not yet be where you want to get to. It is something we need to learn how to do while also learning what not to stick in our mouths......

So true!!!
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    This is hard for me and I really need to work on it. I would much rather encourage others. Oddly the negative crap I seem to hear and the compliments I don't know what to do with.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this is a hard one to get past. I "know" the truth about me. Everyone is just being nice.
    If they knew me better they would change their minds.

I realize that is crap, but that is the mind-set. Fake it til you make it though.
  • papergirl22
    papergirl22 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This is hard for me and I really need to work on it. I would much rather encourage others. Oddly the negative crap I seem to hear and the compliments I don't know what to do with.

Hmm...sounds familiar. Let's practice 'thanks...I've worked my *kitten* off and I appreciate the validation that it's paying off'.

<3