Can Women Get Bulky?

Options

Replies

• ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I looked at the photos again. The only three that jumped out at me as "I don't want to be that big" were the body builder (who was flexing and had very low body fat, so she probably looks a world different under normal circumstances), and the first weightlifter and the hammer throw who look bulky due to higher body fat plus a lot of muscle. Everyone else looks normal, healthy and beautiful.

On the other hand, I don't think I've ever seen a woman on here who says, "I'm too bulky... I put on muscle too easily" who actually showed a photo of what that meant to her. Which makes me wonder what they consider bulky... is it not measuring up to a doctored photo in a magazine? Being bigger than Jennifer Aniston?

I'm with you, but perhaps my definition of "bulky" is very different than others. I didn't think the woman that was a bodybuilder was bulky, just that she had low body fat and great definition and I was jealous, while the other two were more of what I consider when I hear the term bulky, if I really wanted to use that term. Each and every woman looked beautiful and was beautifully crafted for their special gifts as athletes. Am I out of line for looking at them that way? The gymnasts were slim and lithe, yet obviously very strong looking, just as the pole vaulters and the ones that need more power in the legs to excel had more obvious muscle in their thighs. Is that what other women mean by being bulky?

There is a huge difference between someone training for specialized use of their muscles, as these women are, or as professional body builders, and those of us that are trying to shear off that layer of fat to expose defined muscle underneath. Lifting a weight here and there is not going to make one look like an extreme athlete like each of these ladies represent.

Here are my goals for lifting heavy weights: build strength, expose the muscle underneath the fat to have definition and shape, up my metabolism so I don't have to starve myself to keep fat off, lose body fat so clothes look great on my body, be healthy.
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I think if women get "bulky" it's because they are eating loads more than the average Jane and lifting heavy for a few hours daily.

I'm lifting pretty heavy (for me) and I've yet to "bulk" up. If anything I've filled out in places that needed to be filled out and slimmed the areas down that were problems. Maybe I'm different because I've always been not that strong or muscular so I was happy when I started to see my body change from weakling to fit.

Actually, you mentioned in another thread that your thighs were getting bigger than was to your liking so you were scaling back.... :wink:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Did you read the full article on how these women get there?? They aren't just hitting the gym and lifting weights, there is waaaaay more to it as written.

The article wasn't exactly about those women in the pictures, but yes, I am aware they were working out a LOT harder than the average woman (and some of them were attempting to bulk up specifically, though I'm not sure the gymnasts or the swimmers were attempting to bulk up per say).

The point is not that someone will lift up a weight and suddenly put on 10lbs of pure muscle. The only point I was trying to make was that women CAN bulk up and shouldn't be told indiscriminately that they can't. If they are ex-athletes or just prone to putting on muscle, that chance is even greater.

Everyone has made a very good point about food being important too and that is true. However, when you say "we are eating in a deficit", you are not accounting for improper or mistaken logging where a woman might think she is eating in a deficit but is actually above.

I continue to have doubt.

A couple of hundred calories extra each day will NOT get to what the few women in the pictures who may be considered 'bulky' get to - they eat a boat load more than that. Most of the women in the are not that muscular at all and you can bet most of them lift heavy weights. If these highly trained athletes do not bulk up, why would be expect the mass population of women to?

And you will obviously continue to have doubt.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I think if women get "bulky" it's because they are eating loads more than the average Jane and lifting heavy for a few hours daily.

I'm lifting pretty heavy (for me) and I've yet to "bulk" up. If anything I've filled out in places that needed to be filled out and slimmed the areas down that were problems. Maybe I'm different because I've always been not that strong or muscular so I was happy when I started to see my body change from weakling to fit.

Actually, you mentioned in another thread that your thighs were getting bigger than was to your liking so you were scaling back.... :wink:

I said a little bigger not bulky like a She-hulk, lol. I don't think I look "bulky" or big in my avatar. Just sayin'. :wink:

FWIW, I'm also scaling back because my older son was diagnosed with special needs one month ago but that's nothing I'm going to discuss here. :smile:
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    BTW, when I google the word bulky, this is what I get:

bulk·y/ˈbəlkē/
    Adjective:
    Taking up much space, typically inconveniently; large and unwieldy.
    (of a person) Heavily built.

This, to me, is a very different definition from what people throw around to describe women who have muscular frames. I just want to clarify where I am coming from when I see that term.
  • ZoeLifts
    Options

I said bigger not bulky like a She-hulk, lol. I don't think I look "bulky" or big in my avatar. Just sayin'. :wink:

I think you look awesome!!
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

I said bigger not bulky like a She-hulk, lol. I don't think I look "bulky" or big in my avatar. Just sayin'. :wink:

If you knew what was going on in my RL, you'd know that what you just wrote, totally made my day, week and year. Thanks!! :smile:
  • ZoeLifts
    Options

If you knew what was going on in my RL, you'd know that what you just wrote, totally made my day, week and year. Thanks!! :smile:

I'm glad I could help make things brighter for you! It is only the truth! :flowerforyou:
  • tcm118
    tcm118 Posts: 54
    Options
    I think the article is fantastic. I don't personally know what to think about "bulking up." I haven't ever had low enough body fat to be concerned about too much muscle. We shall see when I get there. Truthfully, I doubt I'll ever get slim thighs. However, it would be great for my thighs and butt to be big because of muscle. I will accept it!
  • natika33
    Options
    I get that many women want definition or want to bulk up. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from those goals. However, I see lots of women that really don't want to bulk up (even a little), or those (like me) who want to slim down muscles they already have. There doesn't seem to be a lot of good advice for how to go about that and all over the place there are people saying "Woman can't bulk up." In some places, it even looks like they haven't read the original post and have just said that indiscriminately.

My purpose was merely to state my doubt. I assumed (correctly) that I would get plenty of counter-arguments. I would be happy to be proven wrong, just as I would also be happy if someone had interesting advice.

Also, yes, I agree with BerryH that some women believe they will "bulk up" as soon as they look at a pink dumbbell. You are quite correct (in my opinion) that water retention and swelling in the beginning can be mistaken and during that time it is important to encourage such women to continue.

However, I take major issues with saying "most" or "all" (I'm not saying you think that, but I'm going by the amount of posts where "women can't bulk up" was given as the only response to any kind of doubt). There are plenty of people here who understand the difference between water retention and real muscle gain. Some people are actually quite in touch with their bodies despite having gone soft. As someone who knows she builds muscle easily and quickly, it is extremely disheartening to hear over and over again that this can't happen or if it does there is no way to prevent it so give up and accept it.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    A casual gym goer who works a day job will never attain the physical look of a professional athlete. Stop worrying.
  • natika33
    Options

I said a little bigger not bulky like a She-hulk, lol. I don't think I look "bulky" or big in my avatar. Just sayin'. :wink:

FWIW, I'm also scaling back because my older son was diagnosed with special needs one month ago but that's nothing I'm going to discuss here. :smile:

Far enough. I also agree with the other poster that said you look awesome! :smile:
  • ZoeLifts
    Options

bulk·y/ˈbəlkē/
    Adjective:

This, to me, is a very different definition from what people throw around to describe women who have muscular frames. I just want to clarify where I am coming from when I see that term.

Now that I think on it though, I mentally separate the terms "bulky" and "bulking up" into two distinct and different areas of my brain. So to clarify what I think I may be saying is that the idea of bulking up is a very specific, intentional method of increasing muscle size and increasing mass in order to be larger, more muscular. This requires eating a great deal more than you would at maintenance, and those that desire to "bulk up" have to be very intentional about it.

Again, I think there is a big difference between someone wanting to have more visible muscle and someone who wants to specifically "bulk up" to have larger muscles. I think the error comes in the idea that visible muscle definition = bulky. I don't really see that as the same thing.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

And you know what? That's always an option, too. It's something that happens slowly and gradually, so as you start to get where you want to be, or if you get where it's a little more than you want, you can scale back. No one is saying, "Once you start lifting, you have to keep going until you make Ah-nold look like a 98 pound weakling."

Honestly, the whole muscle gain phobia is just ridiculous. It's like saying, "Eating at a calorie deficit will make you too thin!" Of course it can, eventually. But most people without an eating disorder will stop eating at a deficit when they reach their goal, just like someone can scale back a bit on the weight lifting when they reach their goal.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I get that many women want definition or want to bulk up. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from those goals. However, I see lots of women that really don't want to bulk up (even a little), or those (like me) who want to slim down muscles they already have. There doesn't seem to be a lot of good advice for how to go about that and all over the place there are people saying "Woman can't bulk up." In some places, it even looks like they haven't read the original post and have just said that indiscriminately.

My purpose was merely to state my doubt. I assumed (correctly) that I would get plenty of counter-arguments. I would be happy to be proven wrong, just as I would also be happy if someone had interesting advice.

Also, yes, I agree with BerryH that some women believe they will "bulk up" as soon as they look at a pink dumbbell. You are quite correct (in my opinion) that water retention and swelling in the beginning can be mistaken and during that time it is important to encourage such women to continue.

However, I take major issues with saying "most" or "all" (I'm not saying you think that, but I'm going by the amount of posts where "women can't bulk up" was given as the only response to any kind of doubt). There are plenty of people here who understand the difference between water retention and real muscle gain. Some people are actually quite in touch with their bodies despite having gone soft. As someone who knows she builds muscle easily and quickly, it is extremely disheartening to hear over and over again that this can't happen or if it does there is no way to prevent it so give up and accept it.

*sigh*

Your original post was not actually asking for advice, but as the responses were not to your liking, here you go...

If you want to lose the definition in the muscle then stop using them. And if you want that area smaller - lose BF%.
  • natika33
    Options

bulk·y/ˈbəlkē/
    Adjective:

One's personal definition of bulky and what a dictionary says might be two different things. I have my own level I would love to achieve which may be considered "slim" to some and "bulky" to others. I really believe that a lot of people that say "women can't bulk up" have it in their heads that the women are scared to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger, when in fact, the women are scared to look like the swimmer from the article I posted (who is not really bulky at all as several people have pointed out).

As someone else mentioned, some women are scared to look bigger than Jennifer Aniston. (Not myself personally, but some women don't want any muscle definition at all). So why keep telling these women to lift and that they shouldn't be scared? Why keep perpetuating the myth that women can't build muscle?
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Yes they can, but it takes A LOT of hard hard hard work and a very specific diet. The majority of us women on here are not training like that, therefore some heavy lifting will not bulk us up.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    You basically need to eat like 3-4x what people on MFP eat to get that way, and it mostly has to be chicken. I read that J Cutler orders pounds and pounds of chicken to last him each week. We're talking 4 oz chicken for breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, plus veggies, some carbs and protein drinks.

I think we are all safe

You do not need to eat chicken to get bulky. There are professional athletes, including body builders who are vegans--eating dead birds is a personal preference, not a necessity.

Okay fine, if you do "eat dead animals", bulkers "mostly" focus on eating chicken... alot of damn chicken.

I don't know how vegan body builders do it, simply not educated on the subject.
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Agreed, this takes a lot of hard work and a specific diet...and testosterone.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    That takes years of hard work and dedication. Most of us women who lift weights are not training like olympic athletes or eating the very high amounts of calories needed for that training. A normal weightlifting routine and a small to moderate surplus of calories will not make women bulky though. MAYBE after quite a few years of training. But after a year or two you can kind of see where you are going and tweak your diet and routine to keep from getting bigger.